Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Manager, Education and Training
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

CGPortfolio Prehistoric Shark Texturing Mini-Challenge - 12th Feb - 19th Mar 2014

Dust off your prehistoric reference photography! This month's CGPortfolio mini-challenge asks you to texture a piece of the past.

So about a month ago at CGSociety, we had some pretty amazing people contact us. The team at the Idaho Virtualization Laboratory have been hard at work over the last ten years scanning fossils, artefacts, and comparative vertebrate skeletons with their incredible 3D scanner (accurate to a couple of microns) and turning the fossil scans into research tools and printable 3D models. The Idaho Virtualization Lab are a scientific not-for-profit, but they want to see the broader CG community discover their models. They hope the models can be useful for more than just their digital accuracy - they're hoping their models can occasionally be used for something more creative.

And that's where we all come in. The Lab have donated us two scientifically accurate models of a prehistoric shark (a Helicoprion ) and it's shellfish prey, the Nautiloid. The Helicoprion is an incredible looking fish. It has evolved an idiosyncratic "whorled-jaw", with teeth spiralling outward and into its lower jaw. It is believed that this adaptation gave these sharks the ability to efficiently remove the fleshy bits of nautiloids from their shells.

Your challenge is to texture these historically accurate extinct marine creatures. As they're no longer around, we can't know exactly what colour they were or the texture of their skins and shells. Here you have some creative license.

The Lab's Jesse Pruitt says, "I would like to see the contestants make the models their own, by that I mean pose them anyway they want, modify the meshes as they see fit, pretty much just have fun! From the fossil evidence these sharks were social and seemed to congregate in large groups, as did the nautiloids. In fact we find hundreds of the nautiloids for every shark, so there were lots of them swimming around back then."

Judges for this competition are Image Engine's Lead Texture Painter Justin Holt , MPC's Texture Painter (and our forum manager) Leigh Van Der Byl and the Idaho Virutalization Laboratory's Nick Clement. Nick has an MA in archeology and a MFA in art. Justin and Leigh also teach with us - Justin teaches our online CGWorkshop "Realistic Character Skin Texture Painting in Mari", and Leigh teaches "Environmental Texturing ." So if you feel you want to learn more before you submit your entry, we suggest you sign up!

We asked Justin and Leigh what they're specifically looking for in judging the entries. Leigh said, "I guess what I'd be looking for is an eye for detail, particularly details that feel motivated (ie purposeful) which gives the creatures a sense of believability in the world. I'd also be looking for realism here, not stylisation."

Justin agreed. "The texture work needs to be catered towards realism over stylisation," he said.

(above - model of whorled-jaw resting inside the mouth of the Helicoprion)

HOW TO ENTER.

Our judges are looking for:

1. One final beauty render for showcase purposes (not for primary judging)
2. Orthographic screengrabs of the textures in flat shaded and shaded views (no need for full shading) of all maps being painted for the final look/render (these are the images that are ultimately going to be judged)
3. 3-5 close up selected screengrabs out of Mari, Photoshop or whichever program you're using (flat shaded and shaded) to showcase fine detail work. Be sure to also screengrab the secondary maps from these close up selects as well.

Please upload your completed model to your CGPortfolio , and tag it "textureminichallenge". This will slowly build a gallery of entries - we'll link it later as it builds. Add the other required elements (the screen grabs) to the same project within your CGPortfolio.

Just to clarify, you can enter by texturing and uploading EITHER model, or you can complete BOTH and upload them TOGETHER IN A SCENE.

PRIZE CATEGORIES AS FOLLOWS:

1. Best Helicoprion
2. Best Nautiloid
3. Best scene using both Helicoprion and Nautiloid.

PRIZES:

The winner in each category will win a CGWorkshop of their choice, and a years' free CGSConnect membership. They will also win a free model of their choice from the Idaho Virtualization Laboratory's huge collection of scans.

The OVERALL WINNER will receive a full colour 3D print of their fully-textured model, courtesy of the Idaho Virutalization Laboratory.

Download the files for the Nautiloid here
Download the files for the Helicoprion here

Additional high-res files here

Please post questions in the thread below, we'll do our best to answer them for you asap. Feel free also to post links to your uploaded entries in your CGPortfolio as you upload.

Happy sharking.

(Please note that judges have the final decision over the finalists and winning entries, and no correspondence will be entered into.)

Last edited by Keenly : 03-12-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Date Change

Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
HaraPuzo
portfolio

Sharks

hey, really cool challenge!
hope to participate in my second cgsociety challenge.
never used Mari though. might polypaint and render in zbrush then comp in PS, if thats ok.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
xsarin
portfolio

demo

after doing this challenge, is it allowed to show the texturing of this in our demo reel?

thanks for your time.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:16 AM   #4
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaraPuzo
might polypaint and render in zbrush then comp in PS, if thats ok.

That's totally OK. You can use any program you like.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
rossmacaluso
portfolio
ross macaluso
USA

displacement question

Hey! Great contest should be loads of fun.

Quick question, I was wondering if it was possible to get the high resolution models as well? The displacement map that is currently attached really isn't giving me all the details that I see in the above screen grabs (which I assume aren't renders, or are the high res models) Maybe i'm doing something in correctly, but my results from attached gray scale map just really aren't nearly as crisp as the above posts.

Please Let me know,

Ross

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
NaDaR0

portfolio
Dan Nanu
Brasov, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to NaDaR0
wip

So, there is no need of work in progress pics?

Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
gvprashanth
portfolio
GV Prashanth
Lighting TD
Rhythm and Hues Studio
Hyderabad, India

Send a message via Yahoo to gvprashanth
I have a question

There are displacement maps supplied with the models....so do we get freedom to sculpt the displacement again or do we have to only use the displacement maps and then paint the other maps only. It would be great if u could help me out..

Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 AM   #8
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaDaR0
So, there is no need of work in progress pics?

No, you don't need to post WIPs, however you may in this thread if you wish.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #9
chrono1081
Veteran

portfolio
Scott Nelson
Harrisburg, USA

The tif that comes with the file, is that a bump map we are to use?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
rossmacaluso
portfolio
ross macaluso
USA

Hey, Great contest excited to start on it!

I was wondering if it were possible to get the high resolution versions of the models, in order to make our own displacement maps, the map that is provided is missing some key details that I see on the above images.

Please let me know,

Ross

Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081
The tif that comes with the file, is that a bump map we are to use?

I think that's a 16bit displacement map, if I am not wrong.

But Mari is displays it a little weird, however VRay rendered it properly (by that I mean the gills and all are looking good).

Didn't check the Nautiloid though.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
Buscat
Education Forum Leader

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Kirsty Parkin
Rising Sun Pictures
Adelaide, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmacaluso
Hey, Great contest excited to start on it!

I was wondering if it were possible to get the high resolution versions of the models, in order to make our own displacement maps, the map that is provided is missing some key details that I see on the above images.

Please let me know,

Ross

Hi Ross, thanks for this feedback - stay tuned and I'll see if we can provide high-res models, and some additional maps.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #13
Paleohunter
portfolio
Jesse Pruitt
Lab Paleontologist
Idaho Virtualization Lab
IDAHO FALLS, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindk
I think that's a 16bit displacement map, if I am not wrong.

But Mari is displays it a little weird, however VRay rendered it properly (by that I mean the gills and all are looking good).

Didn't check the Nautiloid though.

Hello, this is Jesse from the IVL. We will get the high res models sent in tomorrow, we are on a 3 day weekend here. We are using Zbrush for the maps, is there anything we can do to optimize them for Mari? Any idea what is causing the display error?

Thank you!

Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
govindk
Visual Story Teller

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Govind Krishna
Texture Painter | Look Development Artist
Bangalore, India

Send a message via Yahoo to govindk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleohunter
Hello, this is Jesse from the IVL. We will get the high res models sent in tomorrow, we are on a 3 day weekend here. We are using Zbrush for the maps, is there anything we can do to optimize them for Mari? Any idea what is causing the display error?

Thank you!

Hi Jesse,

Mari displacement & bump preview depend on th gpu capabilities, I wouldn't be really worried about it.
Would you be able to add a 32bit displacement map, please? Or if its possible to upload may be the scanned model from zBrush with a little more details in it, I think that way most of us can unwrap & extract displacement or normal depending upon our workflows.

Regards
-G

Old 02-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
NaDaR0

portfolio
Dan Nanu
Brasov, Romania

Send a message via Yahoo to NaDaR0
Mari multi tile UVs

I rearranged the UVs for Mari use (5x2 patches). If there is someone interested I will upload the obj somewhere ( right here is not possible due to the incredible small amount of space ). Regarding the disp file, I baked the map provided in zbrush, corrected it, transferred the new set of UVs, multi map exporter, and so on...

Just like the previous Mari contest, I knew that I should wait a little before enter the contest... There is always something wrong with the first model
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concept.jpg (59.1 KB, 232 views)

reply share thread