MARI: Texture Challenge 2013 - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #61
maya fix

hi all
i downloaded the asset to play around with it and tested some exports.
for people working in Maya, you need to open the lxo file in Modo and export it as FBX 2010, then open it in Maya, select all polygon meshes and in the polygon menu select Color, delete current color set (to get rid of UV distortion map).
you will still need to fix the interpens here and there but at least no ugly obj conversion losing creases and messing up edge connections
also, in order to get things in the right place in maya, you need to select all geometry (not their groups) in modo and freeze trasformations, then export as fbx only the layers you need (all the groups with the geometry inside) and once in maya things will be out of place (because groups have some transforms), so here all you need to do is to select the polygon geometry (make sure you select only geometry, not the groups) and reset transformations. Now everything should fall into place.
hope that helps
cheers

Last edited by ravez : 10 October 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #62
Originally Posted by forelle: Yep, thanks for you patience everyone.

We're heads down working on this at the moment.

We're happy for people to use their own, or Mikes, cleaned version if that works for you, but we also want to provide a robust version for everyone.

J

I'm not pushing. Absolutely without any emotions. I'm curious when will this robust version be available for everyone?

The question is not about how to fix it or what I need to fix

Old 10 October 2013   #63
clearly missed something

Hi, i am going to attempt the Mari Challenge but i have 1 question - where do i post my WIP's for this challenge?

I have obviously missed something or just having a moment, thanks in advance

Nathan

Old 10 October 2013   #64
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari2013 - Then click on the green Join Challenge button.

After posting initial concept image, button will change to Upload Entry.

Old 10 October 2013   #65
700k model version

When will you finally upload 700k version of the model?

For now 700k files the same as 176K!

Old 10 October 2013   #66
Originally Posted by Norstu: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari2013 - Then click on the green Join Challenge button.

After posting initial concept image, button will change to Upload Entry.

thank you norstu!!

although i haven't posted a concept yet and the button has changed to upload entry already.

Last edited by nathangowan : 10 October 2013 at 12:29 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #67
Am I allowed to use textures from CGTextures as source material, or only painted from scratch? Thanks.

Old 10 October 2013   #68
Originally Posted by garyhendry: Whenever I've entered into a cg contest, the models always have something wrong with them.
Whenever I've worked at a different company, the models always have something .....
Whenever I've started a new film...

I think that's the joy of why we all got into this industry.

NO, that's not. One thing is when you have job to do with a crappy model, and it's inevitable fix it and it's part of you work. But this is not the case. Nor always all the models in contest have problems like this.

Originally Posted by nsb: The model isnt in terrible shape, mostly small deformation issues/clipping:
-fix hands abit,
-jacket near lower ribs/obliques
-some floating with the jacked patches(dont forget the set near the trapezius which has clipped all the way into the model
-check the center line for bits that didnt merge properly(handle bars for example)
-upper back of the jacket theres some bits that didnt merge properly
-scale is off.

Takes about 20min to fix and you can start texturing

Well, good for you. Some of the rest of us will keep waiting for the 700K and the rest of the models with the correct topology instead to search for breaks and intersections.

I've just read a mate who advice "for MAYA users" open the models IN MODO (¡???... tell me all of you, Maya users, did you buy it/have a operative demo?), and then export to FBX, and then use topogun...
Well, not. Mari is amazing, but a lot of us have tons of things to learn about it... and fight against a heavy model with errors in the process is maybe to much.

Sorry my bad english and thanks, I'll keep learning and practice MARI.

Old 10 October 2013   #69
MARI and model

Good evining CGSociety
I just logged in CG

a question:
the Model to be rendered must be done with MARI?

I heard from a few hours to MARI "suggestive"

Thanks
Raf

Old 10 October 2013   #70
For people without MODO

Originally Posted by LuisDiDonna:

I've just read a mate who advice "for MAYA users" open the models IN MODO (¡???... tell me all of you, Maya users, did you buy it/have a operative demo?), and then export to FBX, and then use topogun...
Well, not. Mari is amazing, but a lot of us have tons of things to learn about it... and fight against a heavy model with errors in the process is maybe to much.

Sorry my bad english and thanks, I'll keep learning and practice MARI.

There is a free 15 day download of MODO that could be used to export the file.

Old 10 October 2013   #71
Originally Posted by Ashrai: There is a free 15 day download of MODO that could be used to export the file.

Yes, there is (and Nuke, and the rest of The Foundry 'suite' I presume), is what I mean with 'operative demo'. And I thank for make it available and give us the opportunity for test and learn it.
But it's not the point here.

Last edited by LuisDiDonna : 10 October 2013 at 02:18 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #72
please enlight me ashrai. how does having modo really help with this model? exporting this model from modo doesn´t work well. export as obj = torso breaks apart in strange ways like people saw in the download, exporting as fbx or alembic = model works better but uv´s are completely screwed - one face = one shell = painfull to fix. the only thing so far which worked is exporting as collada (dae) but the highpoly model doesn´t seem to work in this kind of file (polylimit?) while the low worked but you loose crease edges. this is the first time i have this problems between modo and maya so i guess its some problem with the model.
only thing which worked was using maze (for modo) and export every mesh as single dae and importing it one by one into maya the smoothed highpoly torso was still too many polys for dae so needed to fix it in maya. so finally a painfull work which should have been not nessecary to do. i´m currently abroad so i have very limited internet access and traffic but if the file gets small enough after zipping ill upload my fixed version tonight.

Old 10 October 2013   #73
model problems

I don't know that having MODO helps, my I was only pointing out that there and as Luis said is an "operative trial version". From what it is worth mainly all I have gotten out of it is an an export that has shaders and some material groups that some may find useful. It has a UV map as well but it doesn't play well with maya or max. I found that the problems with inter-pentatrions are present in the MODO .lxo file as well.

I'm not familiar with MODO myself. I mainly use Max so the issues we've been having with using the files have been a disappointment to me as well. I know import/export stuff can be tricky but, at the very least I'd like to see a model we can put into MARI without having to go in fix things in other programs.

Old 10 October 2013   #74
Hello everyone.

I wanted to let everyone know that of I've made a few tutorials focusing a new Mari user. This may come in handy for some of you. And I will be adding more videos in the future.

The Foundry has been very kind to host these on there website, vimeo, youtube.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/article...rted-tutorials/

Hopefully a newer edition of the model will come shortly to fix all of the issues everyone is having.

Cheers
Mike

Old 10 October 2013   #75
Originally Posted by mjag: Hello everyone.

I wanted to let everyone know that of I've made a few tutorials focusing a new Mari user. This may come in handy for some of you. And I will be adding more videos in the future.

The Foundry has been very kind to host these on there website, vimeo, youtube.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/article...rted-tutorials/

Hopefully a newer edition of the model will come shortly to fix all of the issues everyone is having.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks a lot!!! these are the first videos I looked when I start to work with the demo and I'm learning on.

Thread Closed share thread