MARI: Texture Challenge 2013 - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #46
I downloaded the original version before anyone updated it or provided a cleaned version. The original first three versions all had the same problem (intersecting geo and the distorted ribcage). The updated version also has the same issues on all three models, hence my last post.

True, for background props the provided models are fine but it's just as much work texturing those as it is with a clean mesh. I would like to avoid rendering a turntable and then people going "ohh, what's that? that's wrong" and me trying to explain "ohh that, yeah... well, that wasn't me... that was a reknown artists in the industry...".

I'd be happy to get one version that is clean and not distorted and not intersecting anything badly but I'm cool with doing that myself.

Since it is OK to modify the model I'll go for that option.
Originally Posted by forelle: We're happy for people to use their own, or Mikes, cleaned version if that works for you, but we also want to provide a robust version for everyone.

Old 10 October 2013   #47
If everyone has the option to fixed there own model wouldnt that kind of get off of what this contest is about. I though it was more on the texturing end using Mari. And if were able to alter/edit the model were going to have a bunch of differnt models in this contest.

I for one would go through the whole model and lean more towards using SubD vrs hard polys and also fix the riders topo so I would be able to do a pose or 2. And maybe add a few things in the process.

Im also glad the normals fix I did this past weekend help some of you out.

This was modeled in Modo right ? What did you guys use to freeze the meshs to a higher poly count.

Also there a few overlapping meshs in one patch I dont recall which tho

Cheers
Mike

Old 10 October 2013   #48
Originally Posted by mjag: If everyone has the option to fixed there own model wouldnt that kind of get off of what this contest is about. I though it was more on the texturing end using Mari. And if were able to alter/edit the model were going to have a bunch of differnt models in this contest.

I'm absolutelly with you on that. In fact I mentioned that a couple of posts back. The thing is though, I've been fixing issues on that model for some time now and eventhough I could close open gabs in the geo and strange topology I still have UVs that are broken. Have you ever tried to texture a model with screwed up UVs? I did and it's not fun. So either I fix the model I'm working with or we get a fixed one.
Since this is a "for free contest" I'm pretty sure we cannot demand anything. We surely can ask but I don't know if this will happen. Noone is forced to join and the model is for free on an "as is basis". I'm totally fine with fixing things myself but please let me fix things so I don't have to deal with broken stuff once I'm in Mari.

Old 10 October 2013   #49
Originally Posted by mjag: And if were able to alter/edit the model were going to have a bunch of differnt models in this contest.

That actually brings up a good question.... are we allowed to make slight alterations to the pose? Like say for my set up I wanted the rider leaning to one side, or to move one of his arms - is that allowed? Just for final composition purposes, obviously it's secondary to textures since painting is the primary goal

Old 10 October 2013   #50
Im with you on that also, Bad topo messed up uv,s Normal issues etc.

But Im going to give them a chance to fix the problems. Before I get really deep in this project. I know the contest days are counting down. But Im cool with that. We should still have plenty of time ( I hope ).

Im also still curious how far we can go on the pose on the rider. And adding things to the models.

Cheers
Mike

Old 10 October 2013   #51
Hey guys make sure you check out the F.A.Q. on the first page it clearly states you can:

Q: Is it ok if I pose/alter the model, add hair, or add additional objects to the scene?

A: Absolutely, but remember it's textures we're really excited about.

That being said it's understandable that there may be some confusion regarding a level playing field if everyone has a different model with variations in pose, geometry UV maps.... etc.

I am sure Jack and his troops will provide us with a homogeneous and universal model but to be honest I'd probably make changes to the UV's, pose, edge flow ..... anyway.

In any event I think the best way to emphasize the "Texturing" outcome is to just post side by side clay renders along with final beauty pass. This way a direct comparison of the texturing and its merits can be made on an individual basis regardless of the model and any limitations/variations there within.

Great Contest...... super stoked about Mari on the Mac.

Good luck to everybody.

cheers!!

Old 10 October 2013   #52
RE: Posing and extras

I'd take a look at the last mari challenge (the shaman). http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/...contest_winners

First place posed the character, but I don't think he won because of it. The other two winners have the default pose.

I'm planning on providing the default pose with turntable and then maybe an additional action shot.

Old 10 October 2013   #53
How did you people get your hands on the 700k model?
I've downloaded the .rar provided on the challenge page and is the same as the 176k version - it doesn't have 700k poly but only about 176k. It also has the same size on disk.
What am I missing here?

Old 10 October 2013   #54
Originally Posted by forelle: We wanted to give people a range of meshes to work with so they could pick depending on their GPU, however I've just been testing the full res mesh on a Nvidia 650m with 512Mb and, although navigation is a little slow, the painting is buttery smooth. This might be a good idea if everyone is happy with that version.

What do you guys think?

Well, I think it's the way to go.

Old 10 October 2013   #55
to be expected

Whenever I've entered into a cg contest, the models always have something wrong with them.
Whenever I've worked at a different company, the models always have something .....
Whenever I've started a new film...

I think that's the joy of why we all got into this industry. So much creative problem solving to do! Work with what you have and make it the best you can.

Looking forward to all the finished renders!

(Can we get the extended trial for the newly released Mac version of Mari? I entered in the code that was given to me, but it doesn't seem to work for the Mari 2.5.)

Old 10 October 2013   #56
Originally Posted by McNistor: How did you people get your hands on the 700k model?
I've downloaded the .rar provided on the challenge page and is the same as the 176k version - it doesn't have 700k poly but only about 176k. It also has the same size on disk.
What am I missing here?

The initial downloadable version had the 700k model. To me it looks as if the only difference in those models are the times the geometry has been smoothed. I preferr to use the lowres until I fixed everything I want to fix on the model. I'll then upres and have whatever resolution I find appropriate. Maybe that's an option for you too?

Old 10 October 2013   #57
@Rene (mscher)

Can you post a screen grab of the area on the ribcage you think is distorted? I'm looking at the 5 mil model in Max and I can't see it... what have I missed?

Old 10 October 2013   #58
Hi RichardB,

I see no option to attached some images in this thread. The issues I mentioned existed in the initial version available for download as well as in the updated version created on the Oct. 3rd.

If you have a newer model then this discussion may be out of date. I have not downloaded another update as I have fixed most issues myself by now.

I wonder why there is no option to attach an image...

edit: I have uploaded the screengrab with marked issues as my first entry:

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari...ogress/10005703

Last edited by mcscher : 10 October 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: extra info

Old 10 October 2013   #59
When will the "Final" model be available for everyone ? By Final I mean without any intersection and geometry problems.

Thanks

Old 10 October 2013   #60
Originally Posted by alexnewman: When will the "Final" model be available for everyone ? By Final I mean without any intersection and geometry problems.

Thanks

The model isnt in terrible shape, mostly small deformation issues/clipping:
-fix hands abit,
-jacket near lower ribs/obliques
-some floating with the jacked patches(dont forget the set near the trapezius which has clipped all the way into the model
-check the center line for bits that didnt merge properly(handle bars for example)
-upper back of the jacket theres some bits that didnt merge properly
-scale is off.

Takes about 20min to fix and you can start texturing

Looking forward to this mari challenge/checking out 2.0's new features. Thanks Foundry

Thread Closed share thread