MARI: Texture Challenge 2013 - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
@mjag, tada! Thanks for fixing / hosting!

10 October 2013
No worries I hope they work for you guys.

10 October 2013
The .obj files Import just fine in Softimage.
However the 176k and 700k are the same, the 176k (they also have the same size in mb - 15).
Do we get the 700k? That would be the mid-poly version.

10 October 2013
Is this, http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/try/, the only way to get the trial download? I completed the form but didn't look like anything happened. Are the download requests automatically processed or by a person?
wyattharris.com Dig it!

10 October 2013
Thank you for this Challenge , i saw the model,looks great but there are some problems:
1: the hands not placed correctly .
2: there are holes in the lower res , and the mesh is divided ?!?!!?

Last edited by MohammadVaroqa : 10 October 2013 at 11:20 AM.

10 October 2013
I just had a look at the updated model and it still has some severe topology issues.

a) the hands intersect the handles badly
b) the lower back of the rider is distorted. It seems as if the upper body has been moved forward wich would explain c)
c) the rib cage of the rider has a big mould towards the stomack. This is textureable and rendereable but will cast an ugly shadow that would normaly not be there and mess up some renderpasses.

Are you planing to fix these issues and provide another updated model or is it OK if we fix this ourselves? If we fix ist ourselves everyone will have a slightly different positioned model and we might have to redo some of the UVs.
I'd like to join in on the challenge but I really would preferr a proper model. Is it OK with you, if we fix the things we want fixed our selves and everyone has their "own version" of the model?

If yes, I'm in!

10 October 2013
Since there's so much quiet from the organizers part I'll go out on a limb here and assume that it's OK to correct, modify (here&there but keep the overall looks and design) and/or pose the model in order to suit each one of us needs as far as applications used and composition.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by mjag: Here's the quick mesh cleanup in Modo I did. Which should help with the normal issue in Max. I will keep them up for a short time if that's cool.

I really hope this is not stepping on anyone's toes ?

Give it a few mins on the last file. But let me know how these work .

Cheers
Mjag

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...6kNormFixed.rar

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...0kNormFixed.rar

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...NormalFixed.rar

Thanks Mike! Big kudos for your community spirit, I'll organise a Ballistic book for your efforts.
Apologies for the continuing issues. We will have a new model for you ASAP.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by MikeHepburn: Thanks Mike! Big kudos for your community spirit, I'll organise a Ballistic book for your efforts.
Apologies for the continuing issues. We will have a new model for you ASAP.

Yep, thanks for you patience everyone.

We're heads down working on this at the moment.

We're happy for people to use their own, or Mikes, cleaned version if that works for you, but we also want to provide a robust version for everyone.

J

10 October 2013
Hey thanks Mike and Jack.

Really no worries, Hopefully the cleaned files I hosted this weekend helped a few Max/Maya user at least get some previs stuff started. Till the updated model is released.

Cheers
Mike

10 October 2013
yay alembic!

So the alembic file that is currently included in the download seems to be working just fine. It's the 700k version and all the geometry is properly connected and organized. So if you're using a program that supports alembic, I'd suggest giving that a go for the time being :-)

10 October 2013
Whatever the problem was with the website the other day, today it worked.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

10 October 2013
Why there're 3 versions of the model?

Last edited by IgorK : 10 October 2013 at 10:38 AM.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by IgorK: Why there're 3 versions of the model?

That's a good point actually - it may be that things we are seeing as errors are just because we're dealing with hero, midshot and BG versions of the mesh - for example, Hand placement and soft bodywork don't really matter in the two reduced models because they're not meant to be seen in CU.

The 5 mil version as converted by Maj (well done, btw) seems fine - very crisp and detailed as you would expect. Is the easiest answer just to delete the other two models and post the converted 5 mil version as the definitive mesh?

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by RichardB: That's a good point actually - it may be that things we are seeing as errors are just because we're dealing with hero, midshot and BG versions of the mesh - for example, Hand placement and soft bodywork don't really matter in the two reduced models because they're not meant to be seen in CU.

The 5 mil version as converted by Maj (well done, btw) seems fine - very crisp and detailed as you would expect. Is the easiest answer just to delete the other two models and post the converted 5 mil version as the definitive mesh?

We wanted to give people a range of meshes to work with so they could pick depending on their GPU, however I've just been testing the full res mesh on a Nvidia 650m with 512Mb and, although navigation is a little slow, the painting is buttery smooth. This might be a good idea if everyone is happy with that version.

What do you guys think?

Thread Closed share thread