CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > TornadoTwins Game Challenge
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
walldiv
portfolio
USA

Thumbs down CLARIFICATION - Gameplay style & camera angles

The issue was brought up a few times in the support thread, but i did not see a definitive answer from the Tornado Twins or CGI Society members:

Are we able to produce a 3rd person over the shoulder or behind the character viewpoint of the game. I would much greatly like to portray a main character outside of cutscenes . . and using a true FPS viewpoint would take this completely away.

Think of any games MMO styles, WoW, Rift, Neverwinter nights, etc.

THanks!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hi Walldiv,

The definitive answer was given already by the Tornado Twins.
The answer is Yes. You can do whatever you can manage to do, but they do not think it is possible without re-coding FPS Control's camera script, which you would need a liscense for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadotwins
You're welcome to tweak FPSControl to your liking but the camera is not an open script so it's very likely you will only be able to use first person perspective (without a source license).

Addition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
Does the game have to be an FPS? Or can we use the tools provided to create another type of game?

In response,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadotwins
As long as you use FPS Control, it's up to you what you make. Of course, FPS Control is mainly equipped to help people make an FPS, however, you're free to do whatever you want with it

Last edited by Bergquist : 08-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hello Everyone!

So after loading my first custom "Player Weapon" I have concluded it would be very simple to create a third person game using Unity and FPS Control at this point.

If you so wanted, you could make your "Weapon" be not only a "gun and arms", but an entire body mesh rigged and animated, just like it would be for a 3rd person game like WoW.
ShellShock's default "Weapon" (the hand's and arms, beretta) already has an entire joint skeleton rigged with the fbx.

After having the "full body weapon" ready to go for Unity & FPS Control, you could just use FPS Weapon Control's position setting to achieve a 3rd person view.

But! the camera's height does not change no matter how tall your character was intended to be, so to fix this you would need a false floor that the player walks on that has an invisible texture.
Then you could make the "real" floor, walls, and ceiling as large as you wanted to make your player feel full size, and more importantly like she/he is waling on ground level.

Logistically I can only get this to work on pre-designed ground levels, (aka, any ground you've modeled by hand). Because Unity's "terrain" is its own "thing" that I can't "double/dubplicate" for my invisible ground.

*One could very easily implement a 3rd person control just by adding a button/setting that controls the view camera's height to ground level. muwahaha!

It might be crazy, but Its all in good gaming fun! Best of Luck!
- Bergquist

Last edited by Bergquist : 08-19-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread