TornadoTwins Game Challenge - Discussion and WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2013   #1
TornadoTwins Game Challenge - Discussion and WIP

Welcome to the TornadoTwins Game Challenge Discussion and WIP Thread.

This thread can be used to discuss and show your work in progress.

Please upload your WIP & Concept Art to the challenge using the yellow 'upload entry' button.

If you have a question about the challenge or require technical support please use the Support Thread.

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Here's our WIP :)

day 1:
Fist we created a scene, decided on a theme, color palette and roughed out some concepts:

Theme: Since I'm already working on a Jane Austen themed game, I decided to keep going in that spirit (help reinforce my work on the job) and a Regency themed zombie FPS.

Roughed concept: Stylized Male and Female Character.

Color Scheme:

Josh and I sat down and sorted out a romantic color palette and then inverted it. I kinda liked all of it. I've sued mostly the inverse for exterior assets and lighting. We may color correct later. it's early.

Scene
yeah, that's all we had day one

Here we are now:

Here are the textures I've done so far. All are 100% hand painted, no photo source, some I worked on more than others, and the normals were a combination of CrazyBump and hand painting. No color in any of the spec maps; I'm not sure if we'll have time to make a shader for that, but we are just using the what unity has for the time being. I'd love to go in and make a few custom shaders, but time is of the essence and we can't let the scope get to carried away.

our pipeline enables me to use a mostly empty scene to import meshes and texture maps, build materials and prefabs and just kinda mess around with lighting and atmosphere. New Unity version came out last week just in time, so we can have one dynamic light with shadows! woot!

Using the concepts I sketched out last week, I started building a character mesh. If I had all the time in the world I would make 10 different zombie variations, but alas I don't. As a means to save time, I created a generic female base mesh, made copy of it, sculpted the shape of her in Zbrush, and now have this below.
I will continue this with a male character and and try to make a few variations, though, I may only get to do 1 or 2. even that is a LOT of work.

Above:
the mesh still needs to be cleaned up. right now, the geometry isn't optimized. It's too high, it's a kind of sloppy in the arms, the top of the dress needs a lot of help, The hands could use some more attention.

Above:
I was just goofing around. :P

I'll post again in about a week or so.

Renee, OUT!
(@nay_ho)

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Has the final date moved?

Hey guys

Yesterday I was breaking my bawls trying to get my character animated and working with RAIN and FPS control 2 thinking I had only 6 days to go and feeling like I was going to get beaten by the countdown. Today I see it has jumped up to 18 days???

I'm not complaining because I can really use that extra time.

Has the final date been moved out to the 22nd of October or is this just a beautiful dream?

If it has that is great news. If it hasn't you'd better check the countdown clock.

reply share thread