CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > TornadoTwins Game Challenge
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #61
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadguy71
Sounds good, I was just pointing out the possibility (likelihood) of someone exploiting this, and then claiming they knew no better. That being said, my funds are limited, and if given a choice, I would spend money on things I didn't already have, to improve in areas that needed improvement.

However, if the end result is to be commercial, my conscience likely wouldn't permit that anyway, "allowed to", or not.

Thanks for bringing the issue up!!!

Yep, to everyone involved please use the provided elements in the spirit that they were given and heed the contributors requirements. And, importantly, create great art!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #62
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhindle
If the Game does have to be an FPS, Are knifes aloud to be included?

Yep. Even cream pies if you want

Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #63
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallus992
This is an awesome challenge! I love that it's tailored mainly to 3D artists.
I have a question pertaining to the Terms and Conditions. It says "Entries must have been created for this challenge."
I have a game idea that is currently nothing more than a Game Design Document and a single 3D model (unfinished, untextured, and unrigged). I would like to use this game idea (which I first had the inspiration for in fall 2010) in the challenge; is that allowed?

That should be fine. We just don't want to stumble upon any work that has been done prior to the challenge and repackaged to look it's been done specifically for this challenge.

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #64
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniyalkhan2000
I'm using the free version of unity so can I use the plug ins and upload my entries using the free version or do I have to buy the full version?

Free version is fine

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #65
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdeighan
First Post! This looks awesome!

Probably well beyond my capabilities but love to see contests like this!

Are these group projects or individual?

What if you excel in one aspect (3D) but not in another (programming), can you get help?

Jeremy

Hi,

It can be either. If you have a team, you must choose one person to be captain and the main contact. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #66
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibooss
Hi, this challenge looks great. And I really want to participate ... but
I'm 17 years old

Sooo ... in the "Terms & Conditions" is written, that all Entrants must be 18 or older.
Can you make an exception ... or isn't that in your hands and it has to do something with other laws?

Unfortunately not. There are issues with distributing prizes to under 18s. Perhaps join a team with a captain over 18?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #67
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightedskull
Hi, I know that that games entered must be made after the challenge started and all but if I had the FPS Control Beta 5.0 downloaded before it started, does it still count or must I redownload it?

No need to

Old 07-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #68
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashWasabi
Hey,

i just wanted to ask if this game challenge is solely for "3D Artists" or could i compete even if I'm a "Developer".

Also what are the the 7 judging categories or where can i find them?

Greetings
Cash

Please join in the fun!!!

Categories are here: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game/prizes#jumpto (under Open Categories)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #69
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblacksmith
Also, I wouldnt mind a breakdown of the prizes based on placing, instead of the current per sponsor format. I want to know exactly what is for grabs for placing, honorable mention, and general participation.

Not sure what you mean. Prizes are here: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game/prizes#jumpto Press on Open Categories to find out the specific prizes

Old 07-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #70
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinko
Please have a look for me too because I'm getting confused about the 90 days trial. Allegoritmic does not give a clear answer how to get 90 days trial but 30.

Thank you

"The trial timer will be reset every 30 days for 90 days, so don't worry about it, you will be able to use it for the whole challenge, and apart from the time limit, the demo is exactly the same as the full version."

Cheers, Mike

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #71
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgh-O
Hey, how does one go about registering as a team?. Do we all need individual cg accounts or a shared one?.

When registering as a team, choose one person as captain - they will be the point of contact (they of course need to be registered)

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #72
pgh-O
portfolio
Oisin j Ohiggins Benton
Indie Game dev
Play Ground Heroes
2570, Australia

Just curious, in regards to the competition. In the near future will you be adding networking functionality to the fps controller or can we be be allowed access to the source to edit Fps controller scripts? (To add networking).

Cheers.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #73
adamtm

portfolio
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtm
Hi,

I have subscribed to this challenge in hopes of producing an entry even though I have no experience in game development.

Here is my problem: The rules are unclear.

First problem:

"Participating artists will create up to 2 minutes of gameplay. - See more at: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game#instructions"

and

"Deliverables:- Final game: First-person shooter at least 2 minutes gameplay & game preview image. - See more at: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game#instructions"

later

"Get ready to create up to two minutes of game-play. - See more at: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game#instructions"

"At least" or "up to"?
This is contradictory, please clarify if we are supposed to create more or less than 2 minutes of gameplay.

Second Problem:

What exactly do the judges deem an FPS?

FPS stands for First-Person Shooter, yet the video shows some kind of roman sword-fighting game in first person.
Am I to understand that the "shooter" part is entirely irrelevant?

Can I deliver a game like The Ball or Portal, which is a First Person Puzzle game?
Or Dear Esther?
Or Minecraft?
Or Thief?

What -exactly- are we expected to deliver?

Is it supposed to necessarily involve shooting?
If yes, is it required to be the central mechanic or can it only involve limited shooting but more melee combat? Must it be actual -shooting- (with a gun/(cross)bow) or can it involve throwing projectiles like rocks, fireballs or knives?

Is the first-person part mandatory? Can it sometimes leave the first-person perspective for cutscenes or scripted events/panning shots?
Can it have other separate perspectives (isometric, third person)?
For Example, can I have a strategic/tactical overhead planning phase where I am not in first person (Nuclear Dawn, Battlefield 2 Commander Mode)? Can I leave the first person view while sprinting (Section 8 Prejudice)?
How much first-person needs to be in the game (Deus Ex Human Revolution)?

Does it need to be real-time? Can I submit a turn-based shooter or include turn-based elements (Fallout 3 VATS)?

Please clarify the rules as to the content and game genre that has to be delivered.

Thank You

I will bump my questions because they got buried and are very important for my decision if I will enter this contest or not.

The rules need clarifying.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #74
Guedez
portfolio
Brazil

First i will explain my situation: My budget for this competition is 0$, and i am alone in the team (and i am a programmer, not an artist). My reasons to join the competition because, as far as i know, i have nothing to lose, since i was planning on starting a FPS anyways.
Considering that i will use assets from 'Step 2: Download Free Stuff' but i don't win any of the prizes, can I still keep going with my game for commercial use? (besides mixamo stuff, these i know i can't keep using). Remember, i don't intend to spend anything besides time in my game until it starts to make some money.
For the assets that i can't use, if i remove them, and replace with free stuff or something i make myself, will there be any legal issue to sell my game?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #75
theblacksmith
portfolio
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHepburn
Not sure what you mean. Prizes are here: http://challenge.cgsociety.org/game/prizes#jumpto Press on Open Categories to find out the specific prizes

Ah this is better. The first time i was on this page it was listed per sponsor on not by the placing. All good now.

reply share thread