Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Ahmed Saady
Ahmed Saady
Houdini Fx Artist
Bein media group
Qatar, Qatar
Send a message via ICQ to Asad3D Send a message via AIM to Asad3D Send a message via Yahoo to Asad3D
CG OR PHOTO?, Ahmed Fahdawi (3D)

Name: Ahmed Fahdawi
Software: 3ds max

I want to know if people can tell me if this real photo took by camera shooting or it is 3d rendering.
3D VFX Artist
Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
Lord of Camo
Andrew March
Weston, United Kingdom
Well, let's see. You posted it in 3d work, so..........

Apart from which, no, it does not look real at all, they appear to be more like plasticine than any vegetable I have ever seen.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Peter Mayer
3D Freelancer
Budapest, Hungary
Send a message via MSN to PLASTICMONSTER
Yeah, its CG. It is on CG talk....obviously
Otherwise, the textures need work, the imperfections on the surface, SSS shader wouldn`t hurt on it and maybe an HDRi environent and a proper Lens Blur in PS or ZDefocus in Nuke even if its post.
Peter Mayer
Freelance 3D Artist
Budapest, Hungary
Online Portfolio and Reel
Old 07-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
dental floss tycoon
Marcin Gruszczyk
Ok, while the DOF and lighting is quite good there are some things that make it looking CG and it's quite noticeable:

- are they all the same model? At least the 3 on the right are perfect copies...
- the color is too washed out imo, it could be darker and more saturated
- there's some subtle color noise but once you see it you realize it's way too regular, there really needs to be more imperfection, at least in some places
- the surface looks very dull, it needs some bump and subtle reflections I think

Keep improving it!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Andres Xavier Vallet
top carrot is floating a little too

also the bottom 2 are copies (or look like it)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
3D Modeler
ToonBox Entertainment
Toronto, Canada
One more thing I can add that might help sell the realism a bit more would be to add a texture to your ground plane, perhaps a wood table top or some sort of counter top like you might find in a kitchen.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Ahmed Saady
Ahmed Saady
Houdini Fx Artist
Bein media group
Qatar, Qatar
Send a message via ICQ to Asad3D Send a message via AIM to Asad3D Send a message via Yahoo to Asad3D
Thank you all for your nice and helpfull comments.
i took all your notes about my work and i will work more on texture and environment.

best for all
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Its a good concept, BUT...I would like to add my two cents. It has potential but as the others have stated the bottom two on the right are copies and this breaks the illusion because these are subtle things that our brains pick up without us even knowing. I would recommend not only trying to change the bottom 2, but change them all. Add variation to all of them, even a little indents and bends would help sell it. Study real carrots, they are not that desaturated and they do have ALOT more imperfection. Also try testing the layout out your self, try stacking carrots in the same manner you have composited here. Can they stay or do they offset a bit ? Your about 75% there so do not get discouraged. It's just subtle clean up here and there to sell your illusion. Also in my personal opinion Im not too much of a fan of the actual lens blur behind the carrot, you can definitely tell there is no actual surface there and it feels flat, a bit too flat if you ask me. None the less it can just be me being picky, but I would try to look at subtle things like this. Subtlety is the key.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread