autoPack Visualization Challenge - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by gj210: Hi Ben,
I'll see how out of date the Softimage uPy translator might be to see how long it will take to get a script ready for you. Should have an answer from L by tomorrow (Dec. 26)

Thanks Graham! I look forward to it.
Ben

12 December 2012
Any way to make the same easy in 3D max?

Is there any way to upload own, edited texture for every type of elements? Apply a material to all objects of a certain type?

Sorry for a lot of questions
Thank you!

Last edited by mrRIDDICK : 12 December 2012 at 02:42 PM.

12 December 2012
Has anyone had any problems installing for Maya 2011 on OS X 10.6.8? I tried first with the automatic installer which didn't work, then manually. The shelf comes up, it appears in the plug-ins list in the Plug-in Manager. It only loads from my User's directory. It won't load from Shared.

autoPack - I get # Errorr. UnboundLocalError: local variable 'urllib' referenced before assignment. I also got # Error: RuntimeError: Unrecognized file. when I tried to construct the HIVBloodSerum 1.2.

ePMV seems to work fine.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Benr: Thanks Graham! I look forward to it.
Ben

Hi Ben,
Unfortunately, all of the new development we've done in the past 4 months will take some time to port to Softimage and the old script won't work straight away with the changes we've made.
The problem is really that we only have two coders working on the project, (and I only do the most basic GUI stuff as I'm much more useful working on the core code and autoPACK recipes), so we really have to wait for Ludovic to clean his plate or for a volunteer to come along to write the uPy wrapper for SoftImage's Python API. If Softimage is already VERY WELL WRAPPED with Python, then for Ludovic this is 1/2 to 2 days of work maximum especially since he has most of the functionality running: http://upy.scripps.edu/news and a skilled Soft programmer could pick up where he left off (this is basically a search and replace exercise- find the PythonSoft function to make a sphere- paste it into the uPy function to make a sphere, etc.)... then debug which is the tough part, so if you know anybody... If you install autoPACK/ePMV for any other host you can find the file softimageHelper.py and then use the Cinema4D or Maya Files as templates to do the transposition for soft image.
If not, please keep an eye on the website as I will try to push to have a rudimentary version (i.e., script as mentioned) as soon as possible, but that will likely not be until January some time as we first much push Blender and our Lab's molecular viewer PMV out the door. In the mean time, you might want to try the C4D or Maya version as the GUI is the same for all hosts (except a little truncated for 3D Studio Max while we work to iron out issues with the Python API).

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Chowda: Has anyone had any problems installing for Maya 2011 on OS X 10.6.8? I tried first with the automatic installer which didn't work, then manually. The shelf comes up, it appears in the plug-ins list in the Plug-in Manager. It only loads from my User's directory. It won't load from Shared.

autoPack - I get # Errorr. UnboundLocalError: local variable 'urllib' referenced before assignment. I also got # Error: RuntimeError: Unrecognized file. when I tried to construct the HIVBloodSerum 1.2.

ePMV seems to work fine.

Hi Matt,
There is a chance that Maya 2011 will no longer be supported unless we can get some development support- sorry for the late notice. Autodesk is on holiday until January, so I'll see what we can muster when they return. I'll try to get back to you with a definitive answer tomorrow about what we can do in the mean time. We'd hate to lose any 2011 users, so it would be nice to get at least one more stable release out for Maya 2011 and then let the open-source community keep it up if they so choose.
More soon,
Graham

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by mrRIDDICK: Any way to make the same easy in 3D max?
Is there any way to upload own, edited texture for every type of elements? Apply a material to all objects of a certain type?
Sorry for a lot of questions
Thank you!

Hopefully some Max experts will chime in soon to answer this. I'm a C4D user, as is Ludo, so we made a sensible hierarchy scheme that works well in Cinema 4D's hierarchical Object Manager- the dominant form of scene organization and with their highly optimized and intuitive instancing system. We have done our best to retrofit this infrastructure into Maya and 3D Studio Max, but we have not yet found a similar fast intuitive hardware instancing that allows you to easily drag/drop objects and manipulate them with realtime updates in the viewport.

As I understand it for now, you can replace any of the objects in Max using one of the approaches I posted from Kelly Michels at the bottom of this page in the comments section:
http://www.autopack.org/documentati...cellpack-models

I'll try to post more about this and explore more myself tomorrow when I get back to a PC.
G

12 December 2012
blender download

Hi Graham!
I was wondering if the Blender plugin is downloadable somewhere, even if not yet complete..
I would be so glad to try it!!
Also, once complete, will it be in the google code download page, or is there a separate page to check for the Blender addon?
Thanks in advance!

Tiziana

Last edited by TiZeta : 12 December 2012 at 02:52 PM.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by TiZeta: Hi Graham!
I was wondering if the Blender plugin is downloadable somewhere, even if not yet complete..
I would be so glad to try it!!
Also, once complete, will it be in the google code download page, or is there a separate page to check for the Blender addon?
Thanks in advance!

Tiziana

Hi Tiziana,
Are you part of the BioBlender team? It would be great to get your insights and participation.
We actually expect to release the Blender version within about 2 days and will be testing it this afternoon. I will take you up on your offer to test it and will send you the link shortly. We will post it on our internal server (megaSlow download) for a day or two of revisions, and once the major issues are worked out, we will post to code.google with links and installation instructions from the autoPACK site... as with ePMV, the installer will just be a zipped version of Blender that you drop on your hard drive and run.
Blender fortunately seems to have an easy and efficient instancing system, similar to Cinema 4D, so you would be able to use BioBlender or otherwise make custom molecules to replace the defaults if that somehow helped you tell your best story or to make your best editorial image as in these approaches: http://www.autopack.org/documentati...cellpack-models
More soon,
G
Latest News on Blender: Blender with facile molecule customization (Tall spike proteins from surface replaced by simple cuboids by user after construction) on Dec. 27, 2012:

12 December 2012
Hi Graham! Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I am part of BioBlender team and we really would like to partecipate the Challenge
I'm also glad to know that the plugin will be available for testing in a couple of days, that's great
I assume that the download page to keep an eye on is this one, right?
http://code.google.com/p/autofill/

thank you!

Tiziana

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by TiZeta: I assume that the download page to keep an eye on is this one, right?
http://code.google.com/p/autofill/

Actually, you can help me test right now. Do you want Linux 32/64, Windows 32/64, Mac 64, or all of the above? You'll probably be a thousand times more efficient at testing in Blender than me.

Last edited by gj210 : 12 December 2012 at 09:48 PM.

12 December 2012
In this moment and in the next few days, I'm using Linux 64 bit.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by TiZeta: In this moment and in the next few days, I'm using Linux 64 bit.

OK, no idea what to expect from this version, but please try the link below. WARNING to other Blender users.... this is not a stable release version- it is an alpha version for testing:
fixing.bugs
This download will be slow- at least 5 minutes- bottleneck is our lab's server.

If you have time/computer capability, please try the 32 bit version too (though not sure if we'll continue to support 32 bits for much longer):
fixing.bugs

As an alpha tester, I'll beg you to fill out these two forms and I'll try to get a third form for autoPACK up this evening that will walk you through the GUI in the form of a tutorial while allowing me to collect rough performance statistics that you type in:
http://www.autopack.org/support/surveys

To get the GUIs running, please follow the instructions on the ePMV site and check the autoPACK box at the same time when you "Add":
http://epmv.scripps.edu/download-install-free/perhost

If you have issues with installation and use, lets move that conversation over to the autoPACK forum so we don't clog up this Challenge forum:
http://www.autopack.org/support/forum
Thanks,
Graham

Last edited by gj210 : 12 December 2012 at 01:21 AM.

12 December 2012
Ok, thank you!

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by mrRIDDICK: Any way to make the same easy in 3D max?

Hi all Max Users,
I've been promising some Max-specific tutorials for the past few days, but I've been busy with the holidays, getting a new model with a full Lipid Bilayer running (requires some autoPACK core code modifications), Maya customization protocols, and Blender testing. Hopefully the protocols and import file modifications I'm testing for Maya will solve mrRIDDICK's question for Max as well... more on that in a couple days.
Thanks for your patience,
G

01 January 2013
Blender autoPACK alpha testers

Originally Posted by TiZeta: I was wondering if the Blender plugin is downloadable somewhere....

BLENDER USERS:

We are looking for a few people to help us test the various Blender versions before releasing. Please contact me if interested.
info at autopack.org

We need Windows, Linux, and Mac testers for Blender 2.6.2. I have installation and tutorial pages ready to go, but to participate, I will ask you to provide feedback which means you will walk through a survey-tutorial to test most every major button.... 20-30 minutes of work for people new to autoPACK and ePMV.

I know we have TiZeta for Linux- anyone else? ro2563?
Thanks

reply share thread