autoPack Visualization Challenge - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2012   #16
Glad to hear you're up and running... I'll clean the installation page a bit to make sure our Windows users try the new .msi installer first.

Old 12 December 2012   #17
Originally Posted by gj210:
Makes sense to try to win some prizes if you plan to use the software anyway... give it a shot.

Update on Blender after another 2 hours of work at noon on Dec. 21, 2012:

Yes. if I find the time, but the prizes are tempting ;-). The image you showed isn't viewable here, but I did follow the link and that looks great!

Old 12 December 2012   #18
problems in max 2013

I have installed everything to the letter as given out in the instructions, but when i try to construct the hiv recipe i get an error message -
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...tocellerror.jpg

if i click continue it builds a nice square for me.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...ocellerror2.jpg

I have updated epmv and autocell via the help tab.

tried the reinstall and a repair from coredalphas link in the previous message above, but this is still the final outcome.

I'm quite new to 3d so this has been testing, to say the least. I knew the challenge would be over my head but I wanted to give it a go anyway, I didn't realise it would be such a challenge just to get the supplied model to work. Now I feel like I've wasted hours that could have been spent doing max tutorials.

Old 12 December 2012   #19
nickynacky, the same errors...

I will be grateful for help from support

Last edited by mrRIDDICK : 12 December 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #20
Hi, I am a Softimage user. Is there going to be a Softimage plugin? Would I need to install one of the supported 3D tools to start the process with Autopack?

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Originally Posted by nickynacky: I have installed everything to the letter as given out in the instructions, but when i try to construct the hiv recipe i get an error message -
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...tocellerror.jpg

if i click continue it builds a nice square for me.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...ocellerror2.jpg

I have updated epmv and autocell via the help tab.

tried the reinstall and a repair from coredalphas link in the previous message above, but this is still the final outcome.

Hi Nickynacky,
Sorry you're having troubles. The autoPACK and ePMV GUIs for 3D Studio Max are our least matured- only ~1.5 months old, so we're still ironing out issues on various systems.
The HIV particle (Virus made of proteins) is hidden beneath that cube you sent a screencapture of, so if you turn off the cube with your container manager, you'll see HIV. However, the cube should be invisible if everything loads correctly, so lets try to fix, but in the mean time you can see some of the Proteins sticking out from the cube (these are spike proteins of the HIV, so until we get you up and running, please just delete the cube to start playing.)

Please confirm the following:

1) You installed Python 2.6.6
http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.6/

1.5) Your Python is in the default location (SciViz or uPy installers will set a path for you), or you otherwise set a correct path to it.

2) You installed SciViz with no issues reported during installation
http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/sciviz

3) You had not installed SciViz prior to Dec. 18th (there is a conflict where the earlier version of SciViz is not being overwritten by the current installer on Windows 8 (this will be fixed on ~January 2nd when Autodesk returns from the holidays)), or if you had that earlier version, you uninstalled before installing the latest.

4) You installed using the autoPack_3dsMax_111.msi installer and saw no error messages, etc.
http://autofill.googlecode.com/file..._3dsMax_111.msi

5) If you try to update autoPACK again, it says you are up to date.

6) You tried to load HIV 1.3 as follows (the GUI seems to be a bit fragile for certain systems with Max) in the following order:
first open autoPACK, then in the Viewer Tab select HIV, then in the version # select 1.3

Thanks for helping us iron this out- we've gotten all the other people who had troubles up and running, so please let us help you!
Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #22
Originally Posted by mrRIDDICK: nickynacky, the same errors...

I will be grateful for help from support

Any chance you were one of the earlier alpha testers who had installed a version of SciViz and/or autoPACK or ePMV for 3D Studio Max prior to December 18th? I've only been able to replicate this issue for attempted overwrite installations (requires uninstall of SciVis and uPy, then reinstall of SciViz then uPy to solve), but we don't see these issues with the clean install.

Also instead of the HIVBloodSerum can you please try to load:
HIV
Construct.

Please let me know how it goes and if there is still an error, please send the relevent section of the MaxScript Listener report.
Thanks

Old 12 December 2012   #23
Originally Posted by Benr: Hi, I am a Softimage user. Is there going to be a Softimage plugin? Would I need to install one of the supported 3D tools to start the process with Autopack?

We have a GUIless version of SoftImage working that can load the HIV model. We have GUI development for Softimage on the todo list behind Blender, but it won't likely happen until mid January and there are no guarantees that Softimage will be up and running in time for this inaugural challenge at all, so if you want to get a jump, I'd suggest starting with one of the other hosts. Let me know if you want to be an alpha tester for it if we do get a working GUI or are comfortable loading through a Python Script.

Old 12 December 2012   #24
gj210, thank you very much for help! I'm in =))

Yes, i tried some months ago this plugin, and after reinstall problems gone.

Old 12 December 2012   #25
Are there any way to simplify the automatic start model, because my PC is too slow with 15 mil. polys and it takes 30-40 min to build it...

Thank you!

Old 12 December 2012   #26
Originally Posted by gj210: We have a GUIless version of SoftImage working that can load the HIV model. We have GUI development for Softimage on the todo list behind Blender, but it won't likely happen until mid January and there are no guarantees that Softimage will be up and running in time for this inaugural challenge at all, so if you want to get a jump, I'd suggest starting with one of the other hosts. Let me know if you want to be an alpha tester for it if we do get a working GUI or are comfortable loading through a Python Script.

I would be happy to work with the GUIless Python script. I am a developer as well as an animator. How should I obtain the Softimage script?
Thanks,
Ben

Old 12 December 2012   #27
Originally Posted by mrRIDDICK: Are there any way to simplify the automatic start model, because my PC is too slow with 15 mil. polys and it takes 30-40 min to build it...
Thank you!

There are several answers to this question. I will try to provide some moredetails when I get to a PC on Dec. 26 or 27th. We are working with some folks at autoDesk to find solutions for 3D Studio Max, but also hoping some talented users will share tips that we can then implement into the code.

Actually, the models you've seen are quite small compared to what the cellPACK project will start producing soon (incredibly small compared to what we have planned for it), so we are eager to find better solutions for each of the hosts (methods of importing/displaying the geometry that are at maximum efficiency for each software so that artists and scientists will be able to work with and study them on common computers.)... eventually, it will come down to a hybrid of gaming technologies using a mix of billboards and camera distance dependent resolutions, etc.

Within the next few days, we will provide several variations of the model- this will allow you to load low, medium, and high resolution versions of each "ingredient". It will also allow you to load each "compartment" one at a time, so you can load and work on the blood in one file, then load and work on the HIV in another, then merge them after you're happy.

Here is a page I put together for the alpha testers last month, asking Maya and Max users to duplicate the fast, efficient, and intuitive instancing system of Cinema 4D with Max or Maya (we have found some good solutions for Maya, but so far, nothing to easy, nor quite as efficient for 3D Studio Max,) so please let me know if you have any ideas you're willing to share.

http://www.autopack.org/documentati...cellpack-models

More tomorrow and Thursday!

Thanks,
G

Old 12 December 2012   #28
Originally Posted by mrRIDDICK: gj210, thank you very much for help! I'm in =))
Yes, i tried some months ago this plugin, and after reinstall problems gone.

Glad to hear you're up and running. I looked at your portfolio and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you might do with this type of model. You've inspired me to try to find some time to post the next version of the model (1.4) ASAP- hopefully tomorrow.
G

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Originally Posted by Benr: I would be happy to work with the GUIless Python script. I am a developer as well as an animator. How should I obtain the Softimage script?

Hi Ben,
I'll see how out of date the Softimage uPy translator might be to see how long it will take to get a script ready for you. Should have an answer from L by tomorrow (Dec. 26)

Old 12 December 2012   #30
Graham, thank you very much for answer and support!
It would be great to have low-res model.. I'm gonna get it to zbrush for detail texturing and sculpting.

reply share thread