CGChallenge XXVII - TEN - azazel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #31
Slowly working on the details - main stuff is rendered, just adding some passes as needed. Lot of this stuff is barely noticeable on its own, but important altogether. Slight edge glows on the planets, dust/smoke, atmosphere between the plants, spiderwebs, local lighting tweaks, etc.

Most important, though, I found something for the character to do - now the image makes sense

Emptyshell: That dirt is gone now, but will be re-introduced. Previous version didn't look so hot in closeup.

OZ: Thanks .

Old 12 December 2012   #32
well done man, I love the new pose of the character and gives the piece a whole new meaning, and more heart!

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Old 12 December 2012   #33
Wow, that's gorgeous! Great colors and atmosphere. The character is looking good- nice pose, definitely adds meaning to the piece.

my steampunk

Old 12 December 2012   #34
super progress mate. you never disappoint.

the top of the front structure is a bit distracting though, nothing that bothered me in the first version, probably because it wasn't that red and detailed. it shots you up and out of the image. what about a slightly blue gradient on the top of it, leading us back. or less detail/focus, as one would draw it.
i like the closeups more than the final image, and i believe it might be due to what i said above.
btw, have you tried changing the camera angle? might be nice to have it placed slightly lower to make the structures feel even taller and impressive. I'd almost like to see them disappear in fog somewhere up in the sky! kinda what i imagine that beanstalk in "jack and the beanstalk" would do. but these structures might not be tall enough.
and the guy is looking ace in hires, but hard to distinguish in small. maybe clarify the silhouette a bit more.
with all that said it's still already awesome and a candidate for the first place in this challenge if you ask me. and don't feel bothered to do any of what i said, just thought it might give some new ideas.
(we're heading to Queenstown to celebrate christmas btw :-P)

Old 12 December 2012   #35
might get some ass whopping for this!
http://www.andersehrenborg.com/TEMP/05dec2012azazel.jpg

this is kinda what i had in mind in my previous post. might even be cool to have a "heart" on them structures, giving a red/orange light source to the otherwise cold landscape. just ideas presented with a shitty overpaint, pick one or none, i don't care as long as you don't hate me

Old 12 December 2012   #36
Thanks guys

Anders, crits are more than welcome. I think I get what you are saying, makes sense. Will try to implement most of it - except changing the camera, no time to re-render all. But I can scale the character down a bit, may help with the scale. On the other hand, he'll lose even more clarity in the big picture. Probably will try to fix the silhouette, and then a bit of resizing.

Trying to keep the level of detail high enough for high-res images is a tricky challenge, as getting carried away with detailing and polishing one object sometimes harms the whole image... I had to throw away a lot of fine details after first high-res previews. It's not the amount of detail, but having the detail in right places that seems to be the ticket.

I'd almost like to see them disappear in fog somewhere up in the sky! kinda what i imagine that beanstalk in "jack and the beanstalk" would do. but these structures might not be tall enough.

I was thinking about it, but those things are not THAT big. It is an interesting idea though, maybe a seed of an idea for new image?

Have fun in Queenstown! I'm heading home just before Christmas, some hectic time ahead .

Edit:

Ah, this kind of stuff... hmmm, gotta think on it. Probably too big change to do at this stage, but I like the flipping of the character. Maybe I can throw in some lights underneath the structures, and render some additional light-passes... Thanks

Last edited by azazel : 12 December 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #37
Looking really awesome! I love the plant life (if that's what it is)

Old 12 December 2012   #38
no worries! pick whatever you find simple enough, if anything, and don't feel obliged to change stuff. it's already supercool and one of the reasons i'm browsing this challenge lately

Old 12 December 2012   #39
Love your entry man, this is awesome!

Old 12 December 2012   #40
I gotta say, I really like what Fellah did there with the underside of the structure, showing it off more. I think you could achieve that in modelling without changing the camera.

my steampunk

Old 12 December 2012   #41
Haha, I like most of Fellahs ideas as well, just gotta find a way to do something similar without camera change, and without changing the geo of the main structure. Will post an image why - the biggest problem is, it's a big scene, slow to work with and prone to crashing recently... But I may be able to do some photoshop trickery, add some lights, etc.

Old 12 December 2012   #42
just ideas presented with a shitty overpaint, pick one or none, i don't care as long as you don't hate me

Haha no way gonna hate you for that, that's the point of the challenge, to push each other to do better work, isn't it?

That's how the wireframes look... heavy. And all that growth is not dynamic - for stability reasons :(. The trade-of is, it renders predictably - which is not always the case with displacements on lower-rez meshes. Besides, I need the high-rez mesh for growing the vines, not low res cage...

This is all just an excuse to avoid re-modeling - it'd be way too painful, and this is supposed to be fun.

Now here's the revised version - tweaked the colors (got rid of the reds on the main structure, made the warm parts more contrasty, etc. Generally tried to put more focus on the fleshy parts of the structure by using light and colors/saturation, instead of showing it from below - changing the camera breaks the whole scene ). Added some passes of subtle fur, some additional reflections, reintroduced some of that dust/debris/bugs/spores, heightened some background structures (That at least was easy, as they are lower rez versions...) and some other things I now forgot, but which are visible mostly 1:1. For now, the character is untouched. Hopefully I'll have time to tweak the pose/silhouette a bit, but in the end, won't flip him - I kinda like that he looks outside of the image, like there's something even more interesting just out of sight - just to stimulate viewers imagination a bit.

Strangely enough, the crashing is gone - seems the cpu was just overheated ;P

Thanks guys for the comments, much appreciated.

Old 12 December 2012   #43
waw I wouldn't want to mess with that mesh either!!

looking really nice now! no need to change the camera. my only suggestion would be to make the structure to the far left a bit taller than the one to the right of it, to keep the viewer from falling out of the composition.
agree it's a nice touch to have him looking out of the scene to! looking forward to see this one in full res someday to be able to take in all those lovely details!

Old 12 December 2012   #44
So this is almost there - I'll wait a bit, maybe I can think of something to add. But even if I don't, I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Old 12 December 2012   #45
Would it be ok if I make a paint over with some small suggestions?
It's looking awesome.

Thread Closed share thread