CGChallenge XXVII - TEN - azazel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #16
This is looking soo cool already.

Available for freelance

--
Blog -- Portfolio -- Ten --

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Wow, love this! Nothing I could accomplish - it seems... still struggling with simple forms...

Is it all in 3D? Thought the first image is 2D than saw your creatures - they are 3D - zbrush I guess. So the final is a combination of 2D and 3D??

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Kris-Rusinek: This is looking great so far! I love the composition. Strong and simple.. and I can feel an echo of number 10 in it... The big, central moon, like number 0, and the first big building on the front, like number 1. Do you have any color reference, or quick sketch of color scheme? Just wondering if this is going to be so cold. Are you planing on breaking this hue, into some more warm colors in the foregrond?

Yes, this is roughly the color scheme I want to keep. I will bring up the reds and oranges a bit, and add some colorful lichen-like growth to various surfaces, so it'll break it up a bit. Hopefully, the the animals will be a bit colorful as well.

Wow, love this! Nothing I could accomplish - it seems... still struggling with simple forms... Is it all in 3D? Thought the first image is 2D than saw your creatures - they are 3D - zbrush I guess. So the final is a combination of 2D and 3D??

This is mostly 3d. Only 2d parts so far are the planets in the background, and the human silhouette. The texture is painted in zbrush, then tweaked in photoshop.
The way I work, I usually do my sketching in 3d very early on. I did some paper sketches for this, will try to post them, but as soon as I saw potential in it - I did some quick models, and set up the layout in 3d. This way I know exactly what needs to be modeled in detail, and what will not be visible at all - saves time.

Another advantage of this workflow - you don't spend much time on the models at this stage. So it's no big deal to change them, throw them out, re-do - you are not committed to anything.

TheJinj & mic - Thanks guys

Old 11 November 2012   #19
YOU DID IT! I was sure that you make something special...and infact...here we are...Azael 100%. Splendid design and colours. 6 stars!

-OZ-

B-movie

Old 11 November 2012   #20
looking cool man! I'll be following this one ;p

are you going to add little things in the holes? maybe vines growing, cracks, moss, or small animals just some ideas

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Old 11 November 2012   #21
really nice man, I like the atmosphere very much and execution as well. good luck

Old 11 November 2012   #22
good start,really like the composition, already look's it gonna be something cool

SHOWREEL 2013

Old 11 November 2012   #23
Thanks
Versiden - yes, some of that is on the to-do list. Especially vines.

Last few days I've been doing some development on background planets... did a bunch of work for the rest of the image too, but mostly technical things - fixing bad UV's, rebaking maps, and sorting out why things weren't working as they should - visually, not much to show, but it will matter in the end.

Old 11 November 2012   #24
Ugh, finally, some visual progress. Gonna have to keep the detail level in check...

Old 11 November 2012   #25
More details - red crystals are another, albeit convoluted, 10 woven into the image - they are built of 10-faced single crystals, and the color red is a color of neon light, and neon is tenth element in the periodic table ....

Old 11 November 2012   #26
Thumbs up Excellent

Azazel,

Great work. So much amazing details and nice blend of colors.

-R

Old 11 November 2012   #27
realy Nice work azazel.............good luck

Old 11 November 2012   #28

Did a test rendering at high res, which resulted in a lot of work - not seen here, but little small details, bump definitions, etc. Still, lots of that kind of stuff to be done.

Old 11 November 2012   #29
Smashing Update!!! What a marvelous work! One of the very best piece of art here around!

-OZ-

B-movie

Old 12 December 2012   #30
yep, still loving this piece. I really like the small detail of the falling dirt from the structures, awesome touch!

Thread Closed share thread