MARI: Texture Challenge - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2012   #31
I have a question related to "You must have permission to distribute the textures you use.".
I believe alot of us have paid for texture packages, or similar like 3d.sk.
What if the original distributers don`t allow us to distribute textures from images or textures we bought?
This make the hole texturing part a little more difficult sine we then need to find similar images that we are allowed to distribute..

Of course alot can be handmade but there always something you can achieve better with when using photography images.

You don`t want to spend two hours to create or find a similar skin texture when you already have paid for a photography of that kind of texture.

Even that I agree that sharing textures is a good idea, I`ll give a vote for optional distribute of textures.

Last edited by dboydesign : 09 September 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #32
Hi,

As I understand it, derivative textures and works, i.e. painted textures using another image as reference are normally fine to distribute. You will need to check with your texture provider if you're worried, but taking a reference image and painting / modifying it as a projection texture should be fair use.

We won't want the original source, just the UV / projection painted version from Mari. This is a work you've created yourself.

That said please don't use any copyright logos or anything like that.

Jack

Originally Posted by dboydesign: I have a question related to "You must have permission to distribute the textures you use.".
I believe alot of us have paid for texture packages, or similar like 3d.sk.
What if the original distributers don`t allow us to distribute textures from images or textures we bought?
This make the hole texturing part a little more difficult sine we then need to find similar images that we are allowed to distribute..

Of course alot can be handmade but there always something you can achieve better with when using photography images.

You don`t want to spend two hours to create or find a similar skin texture when you already have paid for a photography of that kind of texture.

Even that I agree that sharing textures is a good idea, I`ll give a vote for optional distribute of textures.

Old 09 September 2012   #33
Originally Posted by forelle: Hi,

As I understand it, derivative textures and works, i.e. painted textures using another image as reference are normally fine to distribute. You will need to check with your texture provider if you're worried, but taking a reference image and painting / modifying it as a projection texture should be fair use.

We won't want the original source, just the UV / projection painted version from Mari. This is a work you've created yourself.

That said please don't use any copyright logos or anything like that.

Jack

Hi,

Thank you for fast reply forelle!
Ah okay, I understand. So only the painted uv map from Mari, I thought It was the used reference image we talked about. Thank you for making it clear!

Daniel

Old 10 October 2012   #34
Basic Questions

Hello Folks

As someone new to Mari and reasonably new to texturing in general, I just wanted to check two basic things

-Is it best practice to take the model.obj supplied into a modeller and separate it into its component pieces (ie, remove the necklace, skulls, etc)

and most importantly

-should I be unwrapping this model? I had thought the idea of Mari was the ease of painting onto the obj, but I see that the head has been unwrapped and people refer to UVMaps, so perhaps I do need to unwrap it after all...

Any guidance from the more experienced?

Thanks

RB.

Last edited by RichardB : 10 October 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Originally Posted by RichardB: Hello Folks

As someone new to Mari and reasonably new to texturing in general, I just wanted to check two basic things

-Is it best practice to take the model.obj supplied into a modeller and separate it into its component pieces (ie, remove the necklace, skulls, etc)

and most importantly

-should I be unwrapping this model? I had thought the idea of Mari was the ease of painting onto the obj, but I see that the head has been unwrapped and people refer to UVMaps, so perhaps I do need to unwrap it after all...

Any guidance from the more experienced?

Thanks

RB.

Hi,

You should be able to import the model as-is into Mari. You shouldn't need to break it up and it already had UVs assigned.

It should be as easy as

New Project->Import Model->Start Painting.

Have fun.

Jack

Old 10 October 2012   #36
delete a submission

i wanna delete an image i posted...can i do it ?

Old 10 October 2012   #37
delete a submission

can i delete an image i posted. ?

Old 10 October 2012   #38
upload entry doesnt work

when i upload images it shows the image i have already posted...it doesnt allow me to upload the new WIP

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Upload entry doesnt work for me either

Originally Posted by speco: when i upload images it shows the image i have already posted...it doesnt allow me to upload the new WIP

Hi, yes I am having the same problem as speco, I can't upload a new image to my wip. The upload screen just shows the preview and thumbnail of the image I have previously posted.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Originally Posted by speco: can i delete an image i posted. ?

Hi, unfortunately you can't. The system, at the moment, does not allow for deletion.

Last edited by MikeHepburn : 10 October 2012 at 04:15 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #41
Originally Posted by speco: when i upload images it shows the image i have already posted...it doesnt allow me to upload the new WIP

Hiya,

We are having a look now. Will get back to you when we've worked out the issue.

Cheers, Mike

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Originally Posted by MikeHepburn: Hiya,

We are having a look now. Will get back to you when we've worked out the issue.

Cheers, Mike

It should be fixed now

Old 10 October 2012   #43
can't upload any Wips.

Hi,
I'm not sure if I am missing something here, but I cannot upload any Wips.
I select 'Upload Entry', Click 'Select Your File', find the jpg I want to upload and select it.
Then nothing happens - I just see the same box saying 'Pick a File'.
Am I doing something wrong?

Old 10 October 2012   #44
Originally Posted by MikeHepburn: It should be fixed now

Thanks Mike!

Old 10 October 2012   #45
I've tried to register to paintforums.co.uk to get more help but after 3 days my account is still not activated.I've sent an e-mail to Rob but got a delivery failure notice.

reply share thread