MARI: Texture Challenge - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Maps from Jakob our modeller

Originally Posted by Briareos: Furthering the displacement topic, it seems like this model was sculpted and possibly re-topologized. If so, perhaps the modeler could supply maps generated from that.

Also, this is a time based challenge, so clarification on these topics ASAP would be beneficial to all participating.

Hi Briareos, sorry I was not able to come back to you quickly enough today!

I have contacted our modeller and will get back to you as soon as I hear back on your maps request.

All the best

Tom

Old 09 September 2012   #17
Thanks for the updates, much appreciated!

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Modellers Maps

Hi Briareos, and all!

We have had a little think and we don't want to prescribe too much detail, in fact we are really excited about letting you all add your own!

So though we won't be providing Jakob's maps, you are more than welcome to make your own!

All the best

Tom

Old 09 September 2012   #19
system id

Hi,

we are required to email foundry our system id. Where can i find this id?

thanks!
r-allets

Old 09 September 2012   #20
Thanks for info. Is it also ok to add a few simple props and a base to stand on?

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Also one other thing. Is it ok to change some of the face and body proportions?
Like this?

Last edited by PorkpieSamurai : 09 September 2012 at 07:34 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Render.

As long as this is a texture challenge, i think that we should focus on texturing stuff and avoid sculpting or modelling job. The model is already great in my opinion.

My only question is, do we need to render inside Mari or using another 3D package and render engine?
If using Mari, would be better to render in flat mode to judge better the maps?

Thanks.

Old 09 September 2012   #23
Originally Posted by pradaxuan: As long as this is a texture challenge, i think that we should focus on texturing stuff and avoid sculpting or modelling job. The model is already great in my opinion.

My only question is, do we need to render inside Mari or using another 3D package and render engine?
If using Mari, would be better to render in flat mode to judge better the maps?

Thanks.

You can render in any package you like We may ask for a Mari archive to verify stuff if you're shortlisted as a potential winner.

Old 09 September 2012   #24
Quote: As long as this is a texture challenge, i think that we should focus on texturing stuff and avoid sculpting or modelling job. The model is already great in my opinion.

Well we already have to make our own displacement maps which means doing a bit of sculpting work anyway so I wanted to know if proportional change was an option too.

Old 09 September 2012   #25
Looks like an awesome challenge.
I do have a couple of questions, are we allowed to modify the UV's on the model? also can we generate a displacement map in zbrush or mudbox to use as base to then further paint the displacement in mari? and finally, do we have any leeway as far as proportion tweaks on the model itself (i.e. tweaks to the face for expression purposes)?

Regards,
Idan

Old 09 September 2012   #26
I've done some expression and proportional changes also, last challenge they were quite flexible on the model changes as long as you understand its all about the texturing and work done inside Mari. Even though this is a fun challenge and all, its also a sort of advertizement for Mari.

Thanks for putting together a great challenge, cant wait to get started texturing this weekend

Old 09 September 2012   #27
Hi can i check with you guys the final render image , do we have to render the model in full (the whole body) , or can i render my final image up close instead (maybe just the upper half of the body)

cheers

Duncan

Old 09 September 2012   #28
Hi,

Feel free to get artistic with the final renders. Remember that we will be looking for overall texture awesomeness. My preference would be a full body shot and then a close up on details you're particularly proud of.

We're happy with 3D geometry tweaks and poses, but they won't factor in our judging. The overall texture work will be what we are looking at.

Originally Posted by Samtawwww: Hi can i check with you guys the final render image , do we have to render the model in full (the whole body) , or can i render my final image up close instead (maybe just the upper half of the body)

cheers

Duncan

Old 09 September 2012   #29
In answer to your questions

Originally Posted by forelle: Hi,

We're happy with 3D geometry tweaks and poses, but they won't factor in our judging. The overall texture work will be what we are looking at.

Hi all, hopefully this from our MARI creator Jack helps to answer all your questions.

By all means add value to the model, but remember the real deal is the texturing!

Thanks - if there is anything specific you still don't feel has been answered let me know!

Tom

Old 09 September 2012   #30
Thanks for the reply
Looking forward to getting stuck in soon

reply share thread