CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > V-Ray Anniversary Challenge: A Decisive Moment
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #46
paopao123
portfolio
Christian
Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Question

i have a question
Can i use free 3d models for my work ?

Old 06-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #47
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by paopao123
i have a question
Can i use free 3d models for my work ?

Hi Christian,

You can use a royalty free model as a base model. However, you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique. And, you must point out what you used in your WIPs.

Cheers, Mike

Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #48
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

New Sponsor ...

We are happy to welcome Fox Renderfarm to our sponsor list for this challenge...
Website is http://*************.com/

1st prize $5000 render fee

2nd prize $3000 render fee

3rd prize $2000 render fee

As the last but not least step of a project, rendering is always a big challenge to artists. With the provided $5000, $3000 or $2000 rendering fees @ Fox Render Farm, you can choose from the Metered Render Service and the Unlimited Render Package according to your project and enjoy the leading cloud-computing technology.

What's more, there is no time limit with these prizes, which means with so much rendering power and the new adjusted price; you can render one big project for several weeks or several small projects for a longer time period.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
Killingjok3
portfolio
Miguel Alves
Lisboa, Portugal

Just a doubt...

Hi all!

I have a question about this challenge. In the challenge description it is said that, and I quote, "To complement the V-Ray Challenge, CGWorkshops are offering two 5 week online V-Ray workshops run by veteran trainer and V-Ray practitioner Boaz Livny. Brush up on your skills in Intermediate and Advanced Techniques in V-Ray Part 1 and then Part 2."

Does this mean that anyone who decides to enter the challenge is eligible to those vray workshops?

Thanks in advance

Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #50
Devailo1
Veteran

portfolio
Ivailo Stoianov
Veliko Turnovo, Bulgaria

can i use photoshop just to add lens effects(needed for headlights and taillights)?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
Jonatan-Moonchild
Expert

portfolio
Jonatan Cwiakalski
Wroclaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devailo1
can i use photoshop just to add lens effects(needed for headlights and taillights)?

In Addition to this question I have another one: can I use 2D program (GIMP in my case) to create background? The FAQ mentioned only "Bryce/Vue/Terragen" (all 3D) as an example, so...

Regards
Jonatan

Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #52
mquinta
Frequenter

portfolio
Miguel Quinta
3D Generalist
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killingjok3
Hi all!

I have a question about this challenge. In the challenge description it is said that, and I quote, "To complement the V-Ray Challenge, CGWorkshops are offering two 5 week online V-Ray workshops run by veteran trainer and V-Ray practitioner Boaz Livny. Brush up on your skills in Intermediate and Advanced Techniques in V-Ray Part 1 and then Part 2."

Does this mean that anyone who decides to enter the challenge is eligible to those vray workshops?

Thanks in advance

Hi Miguel!
Im 99% sure that it doesnt You may enter the chalenge for free, but the workshops have their own fee and go on a separate path. You pay, you do it!

Cheers!

(No querias mais nada :P lol)

Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #53
TDempsey
portfolio
Thomas Dempsey
Mt. Albert, Canada

I would like to use Vue to create the background for my image, then use Vray and 3dsMax for my foreground subject, and composite them in Photoshop. Is this allowed?

Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #54
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devailo1

Hi, yes you can. Just please mention where you used it in your WIPS

Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquinta
Hi Miguel!
Im 99% sure that it doesnt You may enter the chalenge for free, but the workshops have their own fee and go on a separate path. You pay, you do it!

Cheers!

(No querias mais nada :P lol)

Hi Miguel, mquinta is 100% right.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #56
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Looks like a good contest, but as a C4D user I really can't enter. Looks like you need VRay to win VRay and since there's no VRAYforC4d trial.... Oh, well. Maybe next comp.

I just wish that Chaos Group would support C4D directly instead of us having to depend on a 3rd party, which is sad because CG even officially supports smaller apps like SketchUp. Like I said, oh well. Maybe in the distant future when food comes in pill form and flying cars fill the sky.

Maybe I'll just do the topic for fun w/o VRay.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #57
woko
Veteran

portfolio
Rob Watkins
Art Director Improbable
United Kingdom

Having trouble uploading WIP

Hello I am probably being a proper numpty here but I can't seem to upload my WIP to the Upload challenge button, I press it, then it has a small eye glass to browse for my work, and a blank bar, so i browse to my work press open then nothing happens? Any clues as to why its not working I know its something I am probably doing completely wrong
cheers
woko

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #58
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by woko
Hello I am probably being a proper numpty here but I can't seem to upload my WIP to the Upload challenge button, I press it, then it has a small eye glass to browse for my work, and a blank bar, so i browse to my work press open then nothing happens? Any clues as to why its not working I know its something I am probably doing completely wrong
cheers
woko

Hi Rob,

Sounds like it may just be a weird caching issue. Perhaps try another browser. If problems persist consult info@cgsociety.org

Good news is there are over 25 days to go, so best to get rid of pesky technical issues early on

Cheers, Mike

Old 06-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #59
MikeHepburn
A liker of stuff

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Mike Hepburn
Santa of Swag
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild
In Addition to this question I have another one: can I use 2D program (GIMP in my case) to create background? The FAQ mentioned only "Bryce/Vue/Terragen" (all 3D) as an example, so...

Regards
Jonatan

Hi Jonatan,

This challenge requires artists to use 3d software. Chaos Group decided to be more flexible with 2d software only in the compositing stage to allow artists to fine-tune the final image.

Sorry mate.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #60
Kinematics
kinematics
CG Artist
USA

Send a message via MSN to Kinematics
Is there a cut-off that for the submission of the 2 necessary WIPS to stay in the competition?
Thank you.

reply share thread