A Decisive Moment - Support Thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05 May 2012   #16
Originally Posted by pantoz: But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work.


I can understand product tie-ins (free time-limited vray with purchase of training course), but in a contest, all participants must be on level playing field without a need to make a purchase to compete. Now, unless they have removed the image size restrictions on all the Vray demo's, then I think we still have a problem with this contest.

They (ChaosGroup/CgSociety) would've done better by offering the training course participants a discount off the price of purchasing a license of VRay instead, and just give every registered contest a free time-limited vray.

This isnt the first contest with required software usage, but its the first contest where the required software is not provided for free as time-limited.

I own a Vray license, FYI.
 
Old 05 May 2012   #17
Ehhh... it looks like no one loves 2D art anymore...
I really like the competitions. It's always a great opportunity to improve skills and meet (at least virtually ) many talented people. But if there are software restrictions, then many of us must focus most of all on learning the tool, not the theme of competition and developing the idea... or not compete at all...

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 05 May 2012 at 11:49 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2012   #18
Hi

It seem a great challenge....

I have one thing I didnt understand in terms and conditions.....item 28 :
(Ballistic Media reserves the right to suspend, shorten, modify or cancel the challenge at its sole discretion.)


Is it mean you can cancel or modify the challenge in any time?


Thanks
 
Old 05 May 2012   #19
Originally Posted by pantoz: Hej,

I also was wondering if there would be the possibility of a free vray licence for all participants of this challenge. I think for the mudbox challenge a time limited licence of mudbox existed.

I checked the faq. And it says:
What are the Final Image technical requirements?
Dimensions: At least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels. File type/extension: High quality JPG / .jpg

But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work, .

I would realy like to participate in this challenge. But right now, i donīt have the money to buy a cgs-workshop or a vray licence.

It would be great if we could use the same licence as the workshop participans.

Thank you




V-Ray for Maya Demo Limitations

- produces watermarked images
- does not support Distributed Rendering
- reset the settings regularly
- max resolution 600x450
- up to 5 lights


Pantoz makes a valid point.. how will this be addressed?
 
Old 05 May 2012   #20
VrayforC4D allowed yes ?
__________________
Founder and admin of GC4DUG
Global Cinema 4D Users Group
 
Old 05 May 2012   #21
Originally Posted by eng-omar: Hi

It seem a great challenge....

I have one thing I didnt understand in terms and conditions.....item 28 :
(Ballistic Media reserves the right to suspend, shorten, modify or cancel the challenge at its sole discretion.)

Is it mean you can cancel or modify the challenge in any time?

Thanks


Very good question. We have to be able to make adjustments to a challenge for circumstances outside of our control. We don't intend on make changes, they just happen to be necessary from time to time. An example would be when we have had to allow an extra few days for entries to be submitted due to a server load issue or if a new sponsor wants to come on board after the challenge has started. We have run many large scale challenges over the years and we have never had to cancel or suspend one but we need to be prepared to be able to do so if the circumstances are presented in a manner that gives us no choice.

So in summary, item 28 states that while we do not want to take the actions described in this item, we may have to and we want to make sure that you guys understand this. We find it better to be up front and cautious rather than sneaky and erratic.

cheers,
BEN
 
Old 05 May 2012   #22
Originally Posted by pantoz: Hej,

I also was wondering if there would be the possibility of a free vray licence for all participants of this challenge. I think for the mudbox challenge a time limited licence of mudbox existed.

I checked the faq. And it says:
What are the Final Image technical requirements?
Dimensions: At least 2560 x 1600 pixels or, at least 1600 x 2560 pixels. File type/extension:
High quality JPG / .jpg

But the vray demo will only render at a max resolution of 600x450px. So,if i dont want to render in tiles, just use the demo will not work, .

I would realy like to participate in this challenge. But right now, i donīt have the money to buy a cgs-workshop or a vray licence.

It would be great if we could use the same licence as the workshop participans.

Thank you




V-Ray for Maya Demo Limitations

- produces watermarked images
- does not support Distributed Rendering
- reset the settings regularly
- max resolution 600x450
- up to 5 lights



A new FAQ item has just been added that describes the process of acquiring a time-limited version of V-Ray.

cheers,
BEN
 
Old 05 May 2012   #23
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: Ehhh... it looks like no one loves 2D art anymore...
I really like the competitions. It's always a great opportunity to improve skills and meet (at least virtually ) many talented people. But if there are software restrictions, then many of us must focus most of all on learning the tool, not the theme of competition and developing the idea... or not compete at all...


We love 2D also, it does seem like we have had a bit of a run of 3D challenges lately, sorry, the next CG Challenge later in the year will be open to 2D also but I am not going to give away too much at this stage.

The software shouldn't be seen as a restriction but a central part of why this is a 'challenge', we want to take you outside of your comfort zone, quite deliberately. It's like an oils painter discovering acrylics for the first time, they do similar things, but the techniques and the end results and the experiences along the way are what is important.

Good luck!

cheers,
BEN
 
Old 05 May 2012   #24
Originally Posted by bendry: A new FAQ item has just been added that describes the process of acquiring a time-limited version of V-Ray.

cheers,
BEN



Sounds great. Thank you.
 
Old 05 May 2012   #25
Originally Posted by bendry: The software shouldn't be seen as a restriction but a central part of why this is a 'challenge', we want to take you outside of your comfort zone, quite deliberately. It's like an oils painter discovering acrylics for the first time, they do similar things, but the techniques and the end results and the experiences along the way are what is important.


Well... actually oils and acrylics are quite similar - they are both a kind of painting. It's a bit like difference between Photoshop, Corel, Gimp etc... 3D software and 3D workflow is completely different (well... at least i suppose - I'm not much experienced in this matter). But OK, I know what you mean and partially I agree with you. And... in fact I would like to try. I don't have software like 3DS Max, Maya etc., but I heard good words about Blender. So I have a question: can V-Ray render objects created in Blender?
Thank you in advance for the answer.

Regards
Jonatan

Last edited by Jonatan-Moonchild : 05 May 2012 at 06:15 AM.
 
Old 05 May 2012   #26
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: Well... actually oils and acrylics are quite similar - they are both a kind of painting. It's a bit like difference between Photoshop, Corel, Gimp etc... 3D software and 3D workflow is completely different (well... at least i suppose - I'm not much experienced in this matter). But OK, I know what you mean and partially I agree with you. And... in fact I would like to try. I don't have software like 3DS Max, Maya etc., but I heard good words about Blender. So I have a question: can V-Ray render objects created in Blender?
Thank you in advance for the answer.

Regards
Jonatan


Hey Jonaton, I'm glad my ramblings made some sort of sense. I believe that there was or is something in the works on an official level regarding Blender, but in the meantime have a look here:

http://bdancer.github.com/

cheers,
BEN
 
Old 05 May 2012   #27
Originally Posted by bendry: Hey Jonaton, I'm glad my ramblings made some sort of sense. I believe that there was or is something in the works on an official level regarding Blender, but in the meantime have a look here:

http://bdancer.github.com/

cheers,
BEN


Hello Benjamin. Thank you for a quick answer. Now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel... I hope it's not a train . Sorry for another basic/silly question but... to get a time-limited full license we need to upload Work-in-Progress image. Is a 2D sketch/image enough, or we have to push it a little bit forward and create at least basic objects/scene in 3D?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jonatan
 
Old 05 May 2012   #28
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild: Hello Benjamin. Thank you for a quick answer. Now I see a little light at the end of the tunnel... I hope it's not a train . Sorry for another basic/silly question but... to get a time-limited full license we need to upload Work-in-Progress image. Is a 2D sketch/image enough, or we have to push it a little bit forward and create at least basic objects/scene in 3D?
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Jonatan


A conceptual sketch submitted into the Challenge engine and then emailing the details as per the FAQ will be enough.

Good luck!

cheers,
BEN
 
Old 05 May 2012   #29
Exclamation Can I join?

Hi,
Can I join the challenge if I'm not over 18?
I born in 1994 July 28 so I will be close to it to the end of the challenge.
 
Old 05 May 2012   #30
Hi,

I have a question about royalty free textures, images, and models? Basically, what can we use and what can't we? Does it matter if they were bought or given away by the artist? Is it ok to use a royalty free model as a jumping off point upon which the actual geometry that will be rendered / seen is based?

Also, is there a date before the challenge deadline past which it is too late to start submitting WIPs?
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright Đ2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.