CGTalk Meetup in Vancouver

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2011   #1
CGTalk Meetup in Vancouver

I've been a bit quiet on the forums lately, but have not forgotten. I am going to be a team leader at SIGGRAPH in Vancouver this year and have been going religiously for the past 4 years or so (including the conferences in Asia).

One of the highlights I can always think back on is the CGTalk meetups that usually happen every year. Just wondering if anyone had started talking about this or not...

I haven't heard much about any official parties yet, but can imagine that is a byproduct of the extra travel cost to Canada, eh? I dunno. Either way, I have asked around and it seems like there is much interest in using the CGTalk Meetup as an excuse to keep the party alive during the week!

UPDATE:

Here are the official details for the meetup. Hope to see everyone there!

Sunday, August 7
7pm--
Steamworks Brewing Company
Gas Town
375 Water Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 5C6
Ph: 604.689.2739 Fax: 604.669.2329
http://www.steamworks.com/

Last edited by JCork : 07 July 2011 at 05:40 PM.

Old 06 June 2011   #2
If The Josh Corken is going, so shall I.

Old 06 June 2011   #3
Hey Jeremy and Josh.
I just created an account here.

Old 06 June 2011   #4
Sounds good to me!

Old 06 June 2011   #5
I'm certainly going to be there. I don't know Vancouver at all.

(I have been informed that it is one of my favorite cities, even though I haven't been there. So it can't be all bad.)

Yes, there will be an unofficial CGTalk Meet up somewhere and I hope someone can pick up the baton on where/when.

Old 06 June 2011   #6
Well I am there...
Looking forward to being there guys.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 06 June 2011   #7
Somebody mention beer! Yep, all being well I'll be there too

Old 06 June 2011   #8
Well in the other thread a local suggested the Steamworks Brewing Company by the Gaslamp area. The other option would be top have it at a headquarters hotel restaurant, though of those 2 the only one that has any real option is the Showcase restaurant at the Marriott Vancouver Pinnacle Downtown.

The date would probably be more problematic (especially after the experience in New Orleans), though it seems there won't be that many parties this time around except the Reception on Monday and the Chapters Party later in the week. I would vote to have it Sunday night.

Old 06 June 2011   #9
Originally Posted by JeremyK: If The Josh Corken is going, so shall I.

Awesome, Jeremy. Haha!

And I saw that post about the Brewing Company too. I agree that would probably be a good location. Sunday night would work! Like you said, the hardest thing is to make sure we don't get tied up scheduling this during a party, but so far it seems clear. Plus, that would be nice to meet everyone the first night of the conference to get aquainted before the week's shenanigans really start. Thanks for the suggestions, malducin! Let's do this thang!

Old 06 June 2011   #10
I'm always up for a Brewing Company, can't beat real ales and you know us Brits!

Old 06 June 2011   #11
I'll be there! Looking at the schedule:

Sunday might be good, unless some people might not be in town yet?

On Monday, the reception is from 9-11 (if you're full conference), but dinner time Monday's a good option.

Tuesday could also be good. The conference is in full swing, and the expo opens that day, so I expect maximum attendance in the convention center area that day.

-jeremy

Old 06 June 2011   #12
The only thing is that on Sunday, I'll be fashionably late since I'll be at the Fast Forward Papers Preview. Though it doesn't matter since in LA the party was just starting at that time and we stayed until they threw us out.

Old 06 June 2011   #13
Originally Posted by malducin: The only thing is that on Sunday, I'll be fashionably late since I'll be at the Fast Forward Papers Preview. Though it doesn't matter since in LA the party was just starting at that time and we stayed until they threw us out.

Maybe we could just schedule the meetup to start shortly after the Fast Forward event then? Most people are interested in seeing that usually. Nice call.

Old 06 June 2011   #14
The Steam works brewing would be best I am down to attend it would be fun.

Old 06 June 2011   #15
Originally Posted by Mark-J: Somebody mention beer! Yep, all being well I'll be there too

Also, for the record Mark-J, you were the first one to bring up beer in this thread. Haha! Somebody has their mind in the right place, though.

Thread Closed share thread