Dominance War V - Animation - jchristo - God of the Undead

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Dominance War V - Animation - jchristo - God of the Undead

I have somewhat clear first pass storyboards at this point. Just need to create an animatic and see if it'll fit within the 20 second limit. Hopefully I'll have some stuff to post really soon!

-jim

03 March 2011
just checked out your reel, great acting. looking forward to your animation

it's not how much you have, it's how little you want

03 March 2011
Good luck man, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

03 March 2011
some quick first pass boards

These are probably hard to read for anyone but me, but they'll be helpful for the 3d animatic for sure.

First pass 3d animatic soon to come!

Thanks for the comments so far guys! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

-jim

03 March 2011
mesh and rig progress

The animatic is still in the works, but I got some of the rigging and model cleanup done. Here's what I have so far on that side of things.

Some parts of the mesh were pretty dense and not too suitable for clean deformation when I first looked at it, so it ended up being a pretty big job to get in there and adjust things. It almost amounted to a complete topology overhaul in some areas... which wasn't fun when you have to, so closely, maintain the original shapes. There's probably an easy way to do it, but it was beyond my knowledge. At least that part's done with now!

Here he is with the rig and a quick pose applied! Always nice to see them out of that bind pose I've never been much for rigging, so this competition scared me a bit at first. Luckily, 3ds Max and biped are pretty straight-forward and intuitive, so it wasn't all that bad to get this guy moving!

Animatic to follow soon!

-jim

03 March 2011
animatic time

Here are a couple of early animatics. I threw the character into Maya and laid out some shot ideas with him bouncing around in bind pose. I'm not attached to ANY of the shots at this point and I am in desperate need of some fresh eyes.

Thanks in advance for any crit you have time to give!

First Pass Animatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dn1IIEFF-o

Second Pass Animatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcK6xGp7Vj4
- redid the second shot in an attempt to squeeze in more action
- not too happy with the transition from the second-to-last to last shot... or
the last shot itself for that matter

-jim

03 March 2011
I stole your format. And had fun doing it.

Hey man,
I totally stole your format for posting screen shots of your rigs and such - I used a similar approach with my storyboard picture. Just thought I'd let you know that I totally aped that from you, heheh!

Feedback: The idea looks solid, but the ending is lack-luster. Your boards show the hoard rushing past the god, is that still the plan? Will he roar or strike a dynamic pose at the end? It's hard to tell b/c you just approximated root motion but as long as you have something up your sleeve for the end shot you'll be set. Nice work!

03 March 2011
Nice work man! I can already imagine what a cool animation this will be when it's completed!

03 March 2011
Gatecrasher & icegee - Thanks for the comments/feedback guys! I'm still working on another animatic pass and I should have that posted with a rig test hopefully in the next couple of days.

Can't wait to actually start animating!

-jim

03 March 2011
I like the dynamic camera movement. quite fun to watch, if only you could hold the camera for a little longer in the end and pull it back slower. I checked your 2nd pass animatic. Rig looks impressive

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

04 April 2011
Does the God of the Undead have large talons?

Yes... yes he does. Here are the added tri's I have so far. These might end up being the only extras I add to him actually. His design is way more finished looking than the pre-war models.

The rig is taking a little longer than expected. The face has been a pain! I should be done with that some time this weekend.

audin - Thanks! Yeah, the next pass of the animatic is cut down a little on the front end, so I should have more time to hold on that last shot. Any other suggestions, especially on what could be cut down, would be awesome.

-jim

04 April 2011
... WOW
This looks so awesome, especially the Animatic. Can't wait to see the finished piece

04 April 2011
Jchristo back at it I see!! Cool concept man, really love your end shot, very creative. Looked at your second animatic man, I think the shots are good, I just think you should spend more time on your last shot to really sell that wicked bastard haha. You could probably shave some time off of the second shot and add it at the end.

Anyways, I know it'll be awesome.

04 April 2011
animatic and rig getting closer

Well the rig is finally in a state to be tested. It's taken longer than I thought it would, but I was able to animate a bit and test out the reverse knees. I've never had to animate this type of leg an I was a bit worried it'd be touchy. Luckily it doesn't seem so bad. Here's a quick animation done to get a feel for the character and test out the rig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4raE7VAu0g

I've also made another pass on the animatic. I shaved two seconds off... now all I need to do is give a little more time to the last shot. At the very least, I need to actually animate his arm coming up and sending the undead horde forth. Just not sure how I'm going to handle the transition to between the second-to-last and last shot. Feels kind of jarring to me at the moment... right now, a zombie arm is supposed to be coming up into frame and wiping to the next shot. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Well, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRX2Lkai3VE

Zykras - Thanks for the comment! Hopefully I actually WILL finish

R1c00 - Nice to see you on here again! I totally agree on the ending. I did end up shaving some time from the second shot and I definitely don't miss the time up front. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for taking a look!
-jim

04 April 2011
y0

the rig looks pretty cool, don't see any problems there, nice work

I was going to mention the last shot but it seems you already expressed that you weren't happy with it. You're right that it's a bit jarring, maybe instead of him getting up and into frame, that you start the shot with him already up. I'll also give u more time for performance.

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Thread Closed share thread