Pre-DomWar V - 3D Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Got some early blocking, still working on poses, breakdowns, and timing. But here's a rough idea!

Animation

Messing around with different lighting situations as well

edit: weapons in-progress

Last edited by treeboy : 11 November 2010 at 07:29 PM.

11 November 2010
How to get enter? Do we just start posting WIPs here?

or is there somewhere specific we go to enter? Do we post weekly WIPs? or just one animation in the end?

I checked the dom-war site, but cant find any info on it, seen some people posting stuff here, so im guessing we just post WIPs when we have them?

11 November 2010
Treeboy - Fun stuff man! Diggin the climb up and varying character scale. Gonna look pretty cool. For the final 'death blow' from the back of the neck, I would really put more into that windup/delivery. Throwing that shoulder, chest and back into would really add impact and drive the point home that he's a badass. Oh, and great idea bout the lighting per character!

MLajoie - once you start posting on the thread, I'm pretty sure that means you're 'entered' for that site/competition. Posting WIPs is required, so whatever stage you get done, toss it up on this thread. This year they've decided to conslidate all the entries into a single thread.

11 November 2010
Kiel - Thanks! There's definitely a ton I still have to do, I've barely moved past the first bit of blocking. Thanks for pointing out that spot, the timing is pretty off right around that final blow. Luckily I've got a half second or so to play around with so I should hopefully be able to toss in lots of nice anticipatory breakdowns!

11 November 2010
Found some time to start blocking things out. The Technomage (blue dude) is going to have an arm gun that forms when he sticks his arm out. He'll be shooting it on the way up while the War General is blocking it with is left arm. I still have a few seconds left to work with, not sure if I'm going to build up the anticipation at the beginning or have a more dramatic ending. Appreciate any crits.

Youtube: Blocking Animation

11 November 2010
Just finished rigging and put my ideas together real quick. Need to get some stuff done for a friend first and then finish getting the timing right and then blocking everything out. Hopefully should be done soon.

Update 1

The girl is a Shadow and the Dude is a War General.

I'll finish timing and blocking, before doing camera moves and finished animation...

Hopefully over the next couple days, time permitted.

Glad to see an animation category this year.

11 November 2010
Animation Blocking Update

Here is an update on my blocking animation. You may ask why it looks this way instead of actual blocking

Welllll its just the way i animate

This is about 8 hours or so of blocking for the "shadow".
This will probably end up being one of the most complex animations i have ever tried to accomplish, so lets hope i didnt bite off more than i can chew.

www.kinganimations.com/Media/dw5_scene_2_web.mov

blog/portfolio - kinganimations.blogspot.com

11 November 2010
More development:

animation link

@Kiel: I agree. Now that I'm getting into the details of the motions, I'm discovering/trying out new things, and I think it's for the better. This has more frames on the impact, I hope it feels less abrupt too. I tried to add some tension in there at the end, not sure how it reads. I need to work on how mr. red rolls his weight after the first impact, how mr. blue runs and punches, and mr. red needs to tear off mr. blue's arm. I really like the gore route you took with ripping off the head - inspired me to try and take off mr. blue's arm. Good times.

11 November 2010
more to show that i'm also in than to show that i've done anything

done some very basic rig for now, hopin for makin more soon

11 November 2010
Red face DW War update

Hey there I have spend about a week rigging and weighing the 2 characters in my spare time here and there. I'm making an animation with the Shadow and War General. I hope I don't fall too far behind as I've been caught up with technical problems but the weekend almost here I hope to get some good solid animation made.

There is some great work out there but a shortage of animations with armed characters.

TheGrak - Great animation, really fluid and powerful. The initial jump of the blue character is perfect. What I am not seeing is the killing blow of the red character, he stabs with his horns and you'd almost expect him to shake his head with the other character attached. Also when he throws off the blue character he arcs his head back and it doesn't look right. It fells to me that he should tilt his head to the left of screen and throw the body with a swing of the horns.

squall787 - The initial animation is coming off great. It is a bit difficult to picture the scene without the other character but we know he's there. The timing and the weight of the characters initial run is great but when he jumps off his wall run he is falling faster all of a sudden and the istance jumped seems a bit long. I think maybe as he is a slightly chubby character when he jumps off the wall you could make him arc his back backwards and spread his arms a little more to make it feel a bit like a belly flop.

KielFiggins - Thanks for the post. Yeah making hundreds of rigs for different applications would be a drag, but I'm still glad there is an animation challenge. I Love the blocking of your characters, I want to see more. It just strikes we that you really would expect the arms and body of the horned guy to go limp as soon his neck is snapped more than 90 degrees. I think it would make it even more overkill when the head finally comes off.

11 November 2010
Wip1

The rigs are dooone!! Going to be working on the blocking next week, more soon to come.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Kaafra_Darkness5.gif (85.3 KB, 32 views)

11 November 2010
Oh yeah and how do you insert a thumbnail into a post w/out making it an attachment?

11 November 2010
Embedding images

Originally Posted by R1c00: The rigs are dooone!! Going to be working on the blocking next week, more soon to come.

Ricardo, to embed images you need access to your own web space using FTP and upload your images there.

Eg. www.mydomain.com/dwimages/image01.jpg

Then in your post you can include a link to that image and it will display in the forum thread.

11 November 2010
Got a good amount done on the War General and added in a camera pass. Now to figure out how the Technomage should move. I'm thinking of trying really quick bursts of speed, maybe using some sort of leg thruster thing or something Techno Mage-ey like that.

First Pass Animation

11 November 2010
----------------------------------
ANIMATION

----------------------------------

**11/18** - Blocking pass for Lank and rigged accessories

Decided to change the ending. Still not sold on it, but want more emphasis/focus on the spine rip and less on the Bull's body flopping around. Accessories are rigged but not animated. Still hella rough in all areas.

Thread Closed share thread