Q&A Thread: Please post questions for Pre-Dom War V here.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
Hi, uhhh I know is kind of early to say this but I am having the feeling that CG society is not gathering too many people yet , itīs only the second day I know but I,ve been looking in other forums and they are way ahead of us already and maybe I donīt know featuring DW in the frontpage could help? but I am almost sure that we will catch up next week is just a suggestion.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by The rules: Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc.
lorez - That is correct.

Last edited by Kirt : 11 November 2010 at 11:00 PM.

11 November 2010
The wording for the normal maps have me confused. It says no painting normal maps. Does this mean no normal maps what so ever, or just that we can't paint in additional detail beyond what we can get in a high poly bake?

11 November 2010
SpiralFace - It says "no normal maps". I understand that to mean, no normal maps.

Last edited by Kirt : 11 November 2010 at 11:00 PM.

11 November 2010
Sorry, was posting animation questions in the Animation Thread, I'll try them here:

1) If I wanted to rip off a limb, could I use the 500 extra tri's for that 'accessory' (the limb Duplicate)?

It also wouldn't alter the base mesh, since you could scale the joints of that area down and tuck them back inside the mesh.

Saw this over at three dee total .com's rule listing about decapitation/limb rip:

"looking over the rules, I would say no, you can change the mesh. But, you are allowed to ad 500 tris to the mesh, so depending on how you go about animating and camera angles, you could "fake" a body part being ripped off. use the 500 tris to model out more or duplicate body parts."

I can work with that, scale and tuck in the limb into the body, have a dup of the limb as a prop. Same process I used for an in game solution back on Heaven Vs Hell:
http://3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=40&item=102#102

2) How would you achieve anything for the TechnoMage without some sort of vfx proxy/stand in?

11 November 2010
KielFiggins - 1) Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't classify the removal of an appendage (being torn from the body) as a modified mesh. A modified mesh would include things like scaled limbs, added limbs, remodeling of the head, etc. But, that's just my opinion. I'll ask my contact w/ DWV organizers and see what the official word is then post their comments.

2) If you're talking about the animation challenge, you'll have to rely on their actions to imply what is happening. Mime the action with your characters and I'm sure that it'll be understood. I think this challenge is more about the character animation than anything else. They'll probably be looking to see how you handle the weight of your character, secondary actions and follow through, etc.

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Gyorkland: Hi, uhhh I know is kind of early to say this but I am having the feeling that CG society is not gathering too many people yet , itīs only the second day I know but I,ve been looking in other forums and they are way ahead of us already and maybe I donīt know featuring DW in the frontpage could help? but I am almost sure that we will catch up next week is just a suggestion.

the weekend just started, and so did i .should have some sketches up b4 sunday.

11 November 2010
Pre-lim vs DW

As far as animation goes, for the main DW challenge is there going to be a more polished animation allowed? You know with full renders, effects, and textures? Or is the pre-lim competition the only animation competition there is going to be?

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by KielFiggins:
2) How would you achieve anything for the TechnoMage without some sort of vfx proxy/stand in?

This is what I'm wondering. Parts of this challenge are a bit ill-conceived imo, and are being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

11 November 2010
Netsu - Don't know since they haven't announced the rules for the main event. Since they haven't changed the categories in the past after the Pre-War challenge, I would guess that there is going to be an animation challenge in the main event. But, without knowing ... I could be wrong.

JesseDavis - Maybe you're making it to be more difficult than it needs to be? I don't understand what the problems are. The rules are pretty explicit in what is required and even goes so far as to tell you what you should be concentrating on. This is a game art challenge. In the context of making assets for a fictional game. Do your best and I'm sure it'll be fine.

11 November 2010
Yeah what I would do for the technomage if I was doing to animation challenge is give him telekinesis or something. Throwing a cube from the environment or even lifting the opponent or something like that

11 November 2010
Hi Res Sculpting Question

I am new to dominance war and would like to enter the pre challenge but I am a bit confused on one of the rules for the 3d character challenge. It says that there is no high res sculpting allowed. I was thinking that I could use zbrush to get a base form down and sculpt in detail and then texture it as well. Then I would model the low poly around it on which I will apply the base diffuse textures from z brush and build more from that, as well as the spec map without using any bump or normal maps. Would this be acceptable or does this break the no hi res sculpting rule?

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Kirt: harlequin02
ChrRambow - Yes, you can post to your own blog.

I understand that i can post in my blog if i want it to, but can i post at other forum for feedback, of course, forums that not figth at war, letss say blenderheads.org or blenderartist.org

i mean a blog is different from a forum.

11 November 2010
Teams within Teams?

Are teams of 2 allowed?
blog/portfolio - kinganimations.blogspot.com

11 November 2010
mariojc1 - Hopefully someone with more 3D knowledge will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you're describing I would say that it is not allowed. I don't think reverse engineering a high-res sculpting process is what they want you to do for this competition.

belich - You can post your work on your blog, facebook, twitter, or any other forum that is not in direct competition with CGSociety.

squall787 - No, the pre-DWV competitions are individual challenges. We don't know the rules yet for the DWV challenge, but I'm pretty sure they were individual challenges also in previous years.

Thread Closed share thread