Frostblade's stuff for c&c

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
Well the whole aim of the painting is to produce a high resolution image of her. Since she doesn't have any nice photos to remember her by...or reference off...lots of guessing and asking "does this look like her yet?" then I get "no... her eyes are the wrong shape, need more this and that...wrong colour...eyes look flat"

I have to wait for my sister to come back from business trip to see if she thinks the eyes look flat now lol.

I guess i'll just paint it over and over until my sister says it looks like her friend that pasted away 2 years ago.

In the mean time it's making my rending skills better...well I'm a bit obsessed with it atm.
Learning heaps from applying what I have been reading lately with skin tones, hair, eyes, teeth..etc. Need to find tips on painting the neck, shoulder area.

I think the main thing that made it more real this time was painting with layers with multiply or soft light properties selected so it doesn't have that powdered grey look so it's more rich and stuff.

Thanks for looking

08 August 2006
The eyes look amazing! I know it might look like a photo and all, but the image looks clean; I can see every detail. Hope to see the whole version Keep painting!
Brooke.
PS: thanks for the paintover

08 August 2006
I really like the nice soft light you put in and around her eyes, great work on rendering it. Wow .

It's really photographic! Excellent.
modelling practice #1

08 August 2006
The eyes are beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest of her face!

08 August 2006
this is fantastic work you've got going. i'd love to see it finished and the whole pic too. right now the mystery of only seeing her eyes is too much for me. great skills linda.

on a side note i don't get why people should be discouraged from doing hyper realism. the painter came first before the photograph.

08 August 2006
The difference in technical skill between those first three tries and this last image is striking. What have you been doing? lol Hmm, now that I look at it again perhaps its just airbrushing and a noise layer.

Why show just the eyes? Have you done the rest?

-L.H.

Portfolio

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Runecaster: The difference in technical skill between those first three tries and this last image is striking. What have you been doing? lol Hmm, now that I look at it again perhaps its just airbrushing and a noise layer.

Why show just the eyes? Have you done the rest?

I played world of warcraft a lot....then stopped...coz guild drama, too many mages etc etc and opened up photoshop and just started working on it. Maybe looking at my own eyes for texture etc too.

This is the other image I made lol
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1235/wowpatchjo8.jpg
It's a joke for addicted wow players.

The brush is mostly a custom shape one from Linda Bergkvist's workshop in the ImagineFX magazine...I guess the workshop works.

As for why only show eyes... well been told not to post the whole thing. If you have msn I can show you privately. In the mean time I'll just show bits of it that are ok looking.

updated the skin a tiny bit. The eyebags are hard... I have no idea how they should sit on the area for her... coz I don't have eyebags...just dark circles from playing too much warcraft for 1 year. :(

Here is another part... the mouth with the teeth. (You may get similar texture results if you have a hand held mirror and keep smiling too) btw my mouth don't look like that but my teeth kinda do.

This is what the woman's smile kinda looks like but not too sure...filling in the tiny details with me I guess.

Hair line.
It was just rich black before and I went to the bathroom and thought hey... need to show some skin there so I painted that shine on the hair.

Overall, I screwed up the picture again... overall skin tone was too red and light source is all over the place. Also working too small... those are all actual size :(

Last edited by frostblade : 08 August 2006 at 03:59 PM.

08 August 2006
Hey what Server? I play on Kargath, and I'm well ensconced. I have too many 60s to count o.O

Is the whole deal about not showing the whole thing is because she has passed away? I can understand that. It's np.

It's got to be hard to try and do a painting without any photo refs :/ A bunch of guesswork. You've got to be like those police detective artists, and even they aren't spot on!

-L.H.

Portfolio

08 August 2006
LOL, where can I get one of these patches? Do you have any for Warcraft3? I need one badly!

The new close ups look stunning btw. So much detail in the hair!
Hope to see the whole picture one day.

08 August 2006
Wow nice closeups!! The hair looks amazing. You must have endless patience. I really like the teeth you painted too, looks so white and shiny. I wish I could paint teeth like that :sigh:
Incredible details so far and hope to see the finished work.

10 October 2006

*sorry if the lack of detail nude figure offends...especially one that is based on my personal photos....was wondering if i should pixelate that.

This is like some kinda of summoning event thing happening here...
She's seeking the aid and power of the water spirit... for some purpose...

gonna add some clouds, leaves, fabraic pattern things and more magic graphic stuff later. Just concerned about how it reads atm...like their positions and maybe any major things I should add or change to make it more interesting.

10 October 2006
This is looking very nice. The anatomy looks spot on, and the background and tree especially look great.
The only thing I think that could be better is the composition. I think there could be more space behind the water spirit.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you come to Australia?

10 October 2006
How much space? like 100 pixels more to the right or more?

Oh, I didn't realise it was on USA until my friend pointed it you to me :P *silly.

10 October 2006
Thumbs up

Hi frost
Sorry will be not to pass before
Only now see this way. So realistic its paintings. I am to adore.

10 October 2006
Looking really nice! I really like the way the light falls on the tree, beautiful!

Eagerly looking forward to updates!

Thread Closed share thread