Frostblade's stuff for c&c

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
How did I miss the final post of this? Grr - well I think it came out amazing - I don't know what you were worried about

She is quite a beautiful girl, even if she looks just like my cousin!!

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006

another practice.
kinda got inspired by looking at an old magazine... doesn't look like the girl in the photo...I think I made her ugly.
No scanner to scan image so no tracing, no colour picking whatsoever... done in ps cs2.
and the wip shots if you're interested
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/2073/wip7pa.jpg

also 100% crop so you can see it is actually a bit mess of orange :P
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8609/closeup3tg.jpg

Last edited by frostblade : 05 May 2006 at 03:11 PM.

05 May 2006
Hi Frostblade

I love your new sketch. The colors look really nice and her hair looks so soft and beautiful I really like the thread for WIP of this sketch and the close up too. Thanks for posting! Be back to see more

05 May 2006
Cool! new stuff. I like her eyes and nose, very playful. Good colours on her hair as well. Niiice.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2006
I agree with Kelandra, the hair looks really soft. Great work!
I really like her mouth too, the edges give her a cute little pout.

05 May 2006
Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you like it.

Here is another practice from today... kinda trying to paint a face a day.

First time I drew an ear and a face at this angle...really hard, need more practice.

Last edited by frostblade : 05 May 2006 at 09:15 AM.

05 May 2006
Beautiful image. I really like the hair and I think you did a very good job with the ear

The eye looks rather flat though, it should be a little more convex. Some highlights too, maybe?
Something like this: http://moblog.co.uk/blogs/1210/moblog_f649d8fb0b192.jpg

The angle is a little off in that image, but I hope it illustrates what I mean.

05 May 2006
Wow, that last picture is stunning. Your crosshatching style is quite unique in digital art, at least I haven't much of it elsewhere if at all.
Now the previous one, I know it's just a practise for the hair, but I feel that the entire head could move further left because there is a lot of thickness in the hair on the left and not much on the right, but that's only something to consider if you want to go ahead and make fully finished art.

You're very good at getting very smooth skin tones despite the roughness from close up, it almost looks like coloured pencil work!

Keep up the great work

05 May 2006
Wow, you and Hiiri are really talented! he he I follow your sketches everyday. I really like how you blend the skin tones..such beautiful faces you're painting. Is there a piece that you're working on for the published gallery?

05 May 2006
Wow, still very good despite the minor anatomy issues with the eye - I've seen worse work in the finished gallery hah!

Very good skin tones and texture, it looks really good Frostblade

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
hiiri, thanks for the lovely comment and crit but I'm trying to stay true to the ref for the lighting.

pap87, I've done airbrush smooth stuff before colouring fanart for my friends so they can have pretty wallapapers or something.
I like how textures make colour look less flat whever you layer it ontop of each other. As for the head... yeah it's way off hehe and she's got really big hair.

kelandra, thanks for looking and enjoying what you see. Also I'm not working on anything worthy of finished gallery.

LabyrinthineMind, I'll take that as a compliment.
In your thread you say:
Originally Posted by LabyrinthineMind: Thanks I think this is image 200/10000 of my crap.

Can I say "this is my 20/10000? of my crap"? hehe
Honestly I don't draw much... you might find me on world of warcraft more lol....spend over 1000 hrs on that game lol.

Ok update.

I kind of tried to fix the eye, seeing how the ref image had no highlights on the eye whatsoever it didn't make much sense with the lighting too... I just tried to change the shape of it to hope it looks a bit better. Then I realised the skin was too red in the morning and corrected that and retextured the lightlights and some other bits.

Last edited by frostblade : 05 May 2006 at 01:06 AM.

05 May 2006
Oh I like this! Big improvement -- and the hair looks /so/ soft. Lovely

I think her eyeballs can be a little more convex though -- but that's just me -- I think I notice that more in this version because everything else is spot on. Make sense?

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
nice image i love the hair and the delicate workmanship, right hand side of the face looks wrong and for the eye to be where it is off it should be perhaps back a bit farther and also the lower eye lid ridge would go right around the eye ball on the bottom, are you using ref or going with gut instinct here. still great piece of work. as it is the face look flat / off

j mac

05 May 2006

Trying to tweek the eye to look better...
I moved her mouth area to the left a bit and painted over the right eye etc... I think it's time to move on.

Thanks for the comments too, makes me look at things harder and see the problem.

05 May 2006
yes! I could the eyes improved a lot compared to the first version. I really like how you protrude nad bend the iris to suggest the round eyeballs underneath the eye lids. The hair looks beautiful! Great update!!

Thread Closed share thread