Frostblade's stuff for c&c

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
I think you overdid the brightness around her eyes a bit there. Probably adding some subtle shading in the eyesocket area will help. Nice crop indeed. Excellent work!
modelling practice #1

04 April 2006
Wow, Frost, this is beautiful, and fun to watch the evolution! This eerily looks like my cousin o.O....

I like how you made the grass darker - and I don't mind the brightness around her eyes - a lot of girls do their makeup like that, that's all it looks like to me, some makeup application

-L.H.

Portfolio

04 April 2006

I changed more bits here and there.
posting other stuff with close up.

look better or worse? it's getting to the stage where it can look worse lol.

edit: excuse the huge image.... I can't really tell with 24 in wide screen sometimes.

04 April 2006
Odd thing is up close it seems fine, but in the normal framing she's a bit off. I guess that's a lighting inconsistency. I'd wanna try a paintover on her eyes if you wouldn't object, just to test what it actually is?
I Think adding shadow on the upper eyelids would solve it, not entirely sure.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2006
I think I'm at the point where I'm sick of this face...and my brain has gone dead on it... can't improve it anymore feeling...I think it's looking worse and worse as I try to paint more stuff on it lol.

Her features are far from what I intended now... nothing like the ref now. The very first version I posted looks more like the ref than now lol. Also I don't know why I'm painting it anymore... I just wanted a hair exercise with yellow, green, red colour scheme hehe.

Next picture will be different

05 May 2006
Well if it's any comfort I think she looks very beautiful. The deeper shadow near the eyes really works to bring out the forms better.

You'll get the hang of it I'm quite sure! Hey I still owe you a few pointers, want to havea go at some refinments still? I got time on my hands.

Anyway great going, hair rendering is really lovely! So are her features as well.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2006
I'm open to stuff
paint away and tell me about it

05 May 2006
I was thinking to define her muscle structure and bones etc, it's only small adjustments in shading in the end, but it might add a lot. I could wip out the anatomical charts but that wouldn't be as much fun.
I'll have to try some different brushes in painter, should be fun as well.

Areas I'm thinking about are her neck, cheeks and around her chin and lips. Generally more complex area's except the cheeks maybe. That's maybe a good reason to get some ref perhaps, on muscles and bone structure. I'll go snoop around.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2006
Ok I got around to doing it somewhat well enough to show. If the colour seems weird, that's because it is.

The lins represent muscle groups as I think they're in there sort of, but they're general placeholders. Then I went to the other side of the face and overpainted with a newly invented brush so I could blend more carefully regarding colour (that was a lot of fun to do ).

It's animated gif with 3 frames, just so you know. Tell me what you think because I went over it in general, not particularly good with colour but I used saturated dark purple/pink for shadows and turquoise to bring in highlights.

Oh and I think I forgot to add some shadow where the small red circle is, but you gave her bright outlines there so I figure it's something you'll know to deal with.

And a static, forgot that lol.

modelling practice #1

Last edited by jmBoekestein : 05 May 2006 at 08:24 PM.

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by frostblade: I think I'm at the point where I'm sick of this face...and my brain has gone dead on it... can't improve it anymore feeling...I think it's looking worse and worse as I try to paint more stuff on it lol.

Her features are far from what I intended now... nothing like the ref now. The very first version I posted looks more like the ref than now lol. Also I don't know why I'm painting it anymore... I just wanted a hair exercise with yellow, green, red colour scheme hehe.

Next picture will be different

I think you did well on this one. The hair and the eyes are great. Her lips though kinda looks strange since it's coming out a little orange fruity on my monitor. But then there's some kinda of transparency to it which I think looks nice.

05 May 2006
Very impressive painting techniques, I really like your style. Great skin tones, and a very 'clean' look. The only thing that bothers me is the image appears to be just a bit 'flat'; try pushing your lights and darks a little bit further. Impressive as hell regardless, I look forward to more works from you.

05 May 2006

I kinda tried to do the thing you were trying to show me but I think I kinda failed... I'm afarid it will look worse if I touch it anymore lol.

Thanks for the comments everyone, trying to think of something else to draw now... any suggestions of what you want to see lol

05 May 2006
Awesome! Gonna go rummage through the finished section.
modelling practice #1

05 May 2006
Wow! Congrats for this piece.
I especially like the hair, looks very delicate. Skin shading is very nice and smooth.
Looking forward to your next piece.

05 May 2006
wow...your WIP is cool and the finished work is awesome! I really like how you painted the hair. Do have more steps for painting hair like that? Would really help this novice Anyway, I'll be looking for your finished painting in the gallery, saw it in your Portfolio lol...

Thread Closed share thread