I'm new to this... (nudity)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by beaux: good work dude. your color is coming along nicely keep it up

Thanks man.

I went to the beach for the weekend but I managed to do some progress when I got back:

It still needs plenty of tidying up but I want to leave the hair somewhat artsy... keep the focus on the face or something.

05 May 2006
That looks really good! Very soft shading, and I love the hair. Nice job!

Offbeatworlds.com

05 May 2006
Hey there! Thought I'd drop by -- that Delpy piece looks amazing! Wow, really great grasp of value/contrast on that!

I'll be keeping an eye out here for sure!

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
thanks!

I'll be working on a creative portrait of sorts during the weekend. I'll post my progress when I get back to work on monday. I hope I get to finish it in time for the anniv. whew...

05 May 2006

I was working on the "special project" during the weekend when it hit me that I was having "the" day. You know those rare days when you just can't draw or paint even if your life depended on it? Yup that day.

So anyway... what I did was to take a step back read a few more books and do a practice run to get my, pardon the words "groove" back.

I ended up with this one which I worked on (and wasn't able to finish ) somewhere in between eating, reading, resting and the gilmore girls. lolz.

The hair I did in less than a minute.

05 May 2006
sorry to hear you've been having "days" ah well... you've got a great style and your work so far is very impressive, especially your julie delpy, although you're right as it still doesn't look quite like her - nevertheless convincing use of monochrome. Keep plugging away, it's great to see progress!

05 May 2006
Hey there

I was switching between the photo of Julie Delpy and your rendering - and it's the forhead on the left side that is making yours seem a little off -- soften that up a bit (if you switch the views back and forth you can tell) her forhead isn't as sharp right there where it curves. Her eyes are spot on though, well done

-L.H.

Portfolio

05 May 2006
Rainy Days and Mondays

Thanks Audit and LM!

LM: You're right about that forehead. I've set aside that piece for now. I might try to fix it eventually or redo it entirely(coz there's about a hundred things wrong with that one. lolz.).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I was left at home, feeling sick and nothing to do. After staring at Mr. Bouguereau's insane paintings I had an epiphany with the colors(which is very likely to be wrong.lolz.). Anyway I thought I'd try it and this was the result... well as far as I had gone anyway.

So I'm applying some of the stuff I've learned from observing Mr. Bouguereau's works, Mr. Loomis' tutorials and one other Portrait Artist who's name I can't recall right now... it's a hodge podge of lessons. lolz. At any rate I figure the coloring probably has these elements: midtone, cool shadows(i just call them that. i don't know if the term is right), warm shadows(or stronger shadows), warming color, lighter tones and then highlights which were used sparingly. There's lots to do with this one coz the face still looks flat... I'm kinda struggling with the lip color as it looks like lipstick... I was gunning for something more natural.

I learned something precious yesterday... I remembered how Linda keeps saying flip your work from time to time to get a fresh look and so I tried to do it. To my horror the portrait I've been painting for nearly 8 hours (ahem... I wasn't feeling well and kept dozing off from time to time. lolz.) was crooked as the road to Baguio. lolz. Well I fixed that one and ended up with an almost symetrical face... which might not be a good thing. :P

05 May 2006

I have never done a face in color until today. I have to say that this is all so very difficult for me. Not only do I have to think about the mathematics of color but I also have to know exactly the kinds of planes present on the face in order to shade it properly. She's looking kinda strange right now. Anyway here's the to do list:
  • The right side of the face is too wide... need to chop off some excess there.
  • The eyes look weird, pasted and highly unrealistic.
  • Haven't completed painting the lashes.
  • Make the lips look more natural.
  • Make the eyebrows appear more natural?
  • Complete rendering of the nose.
Anyone spot something else that needs work? Oh and are the color a little too dead as in do I need to put in a little more warmth in there?

05 May 2006
Hi! I could have sworn I had commented here before, hmm.

Anyway, I really like the rendering of the lips. However, it looks a little "pasted on". I think that's mainly because the edges are pretty defined. I think that can be solved easily if you take a soft-ish brush and colourpick the skintone next to her lips and blend the edges together. Also remember to paint the parts around her mouth( for example, the lower lip juts out more near the corners).

As for the eyes, I think you need to increase the thickness of the lower eyelid. and add a deeper crease to the upper one. A little more warmth to the shadows would be nice. Skin usually has saturated shadows and less saturated highlights.

All these are personal preferences though, you may think I'm saying utter rubbish . In any case, you're doing very well , I'm looking forward to seeing this completed

05 May 2006
Thanks hirii. I'll take note of everything you said and try them out tonight... or whenever I get the chance to. sigh. Having a day job sucks sometimes.

I've been thinking about doing speed paints too... I have this feeling that I work so sloow.

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by hiiri: Hi! I could have sworn I had commented here before, hmm.

Anyway, I really like the rendering of the lips. However, it looks a little "pasted on". I think that's mainly because the edges are pretty defined. I think that can be solved easily if you take a soft-ish brush and colourpick the skintone next to her lips and blend the edges together. Also remember to paint the parts around her mouth( for example, the lower lip juts out more near the corners).

As for the eyes, I think you need to increase the thickness of the lower eyelid. and add a deeper crease to the upper one. A little more warmth to the shadows would be nice. Skin usually has saturated shadows and less saturated highlights.

All these are personal preferences though, you may think I'm saying utter rubbish . In any case, you're doing very well , I'm looking forward to seeing this completed

quoted.
I also suggest to paint lights and shadows to background too. That will help you in portraits !
Good work !

05 May 2006
update

So here's an update on that portrait practice. I've yet to do the ears and some refinements with the skin. I'll take into account Hirii's advice on the saturated shadows next time. I think I've gone too far with this one to change the shadows now.

Tell me what you guys think.

05 May 2006
'To me' the nude female looks like she has been coloured in just variations of midtones. You need atleast some highlights, doesnt have to be too intense, and especially shaded areas because thats what gives the object form. Make the shaded areas darker and the light area a little lighter. You will have to experiment to get the colours and intensity (dont want he to look like Barby).

Sketchbook

05 May 2006
thanks andrew! i'll certainly keep that in mind when i redo that piece.

Thread Closed share thread