Eric, the Knight from Dungeons and Dragons

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2016
Eric, the Knight from Dungeons and Dragons

Hello everybody!

I thought I finished this piece, but I'm kind of worried about it.
What do you think about this lighting?

02 February 2016
It's a bit hard to tell with the image being so small, but from what I can see, the lighting seems ok. Maybe put a rim light on him so his head/shoulder area separates from the background a bit more?

02 February 2016
Originally Posted by Lunatique: It's a bit hard to tell with the image being so small, but from what I can see, the lighting seems ok. Maybe put a rim light on him so his head/shoulder area separates from the background a bit more?

Thanks for the feedback Lunatique!
Here's an update. I thought about the rim light, but won't it change the lighting of almost all the piece? Just wanted to confirm what you meant with your advice.

02 February 2016
Can you upload a larger image? It's still very tiny--only the size of a large stamp.

Rim light won't change your lighting much except add a bright halo around the contour of your subject. It's a back-light so it only lights up the rim and cannot reach the front of the subject.

Look at examples here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=rim...w=1270&bih=1464

See how adding a rim light really makes the subject pop out from the background and define its contour very clearly?

02 February 2016
Your work has been selected for Weekend Feedback

Hi RoBs0n

Your artwork has been selected for Weekend Feedback.

Please check out the link below:

Weekend Feedback

Cheers,
Jonathan

03 March 2016
Finally some udpate after the great feedback.
I tried to keep the flame to suggest his magic force field, which is the characters trademark.

03 March 2016
Looks good. The change to the background and the lighting on the hair gives the image a stronger sense of dimensionality. The cooler color temperature also creates a stronger color contrast than before.

I'm not so sure about the two peaks in the background with his head sandwiched in the middle though. Was that a composition choice or is it necessary for the premise/narrative?

03 March 2016
They aren't important at all for the narrative.
Well, I thought about the lines converging to the main focus: his head. Now that you mentioned, I'll probably change the lines so it won't be so straight, like the cliff in the left. The triangle shape is so centered that it looks too artificial. I'll look into it, any suggestion so far?

03 March 2016
I personally would go for a more natural and asymmetrical looking mountain range in the background. No need for contrived looking triangle arrangement since it does nothing for the narrative and only negatively impacts the composition. Using interesting looking cloud formation/lighting can work well too, such as stormy looking clouds.

03 March 2016
This is very interesting!
I totally agree with Lunatique ... there's lot of potential with the mountains ... playing around with the composition .. maybe adding some atmostphere? .. to depict distance .. depth ...

I did a little color adjustment ... there's an "optional" level adjustment too .. might give you a few ideas!

Here's the .psd file for you to experiment
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vwdvxuyjz...Eric_2.psd?dl=0

All the best!

03 March 2016
Here's an update, considering the feedback. I aggree with everything, and made some other adjustments also.

03 March 2016
@nwiz25 - I like B the most, with the stronger contrast and more distinct bluish color cast, which creates a stronger contrast to the orange of the fire.

@RoBs0n - The smaller peak on the right helps, but why not alter the angle of the peak too, so the two peaks don't share the same degree of angle? Also, maybe make the peaks a bit more organic in shape so they aren't both just straight lines.

03 March 2016
An update, considering also some more reflected light from the red cape. I'm really learning with this one.

03 March 2016
@Lunatique - thank you so much Robert!

@ RoBs0n - the new update looks really good! but something about the sword, shield and his knee got me confused ...

Either you can add a strong shadow cast by shield to show that the sword is positioned behind .. or you can show him holding it in his right hand.

found a reference too :
http://s3.amazonaws.com/thumbnails....e.86.432838.JPG

Last edited by nwiz25 : 03 March 2016 at 12:15 PM.

reply share thread