HilbrandBos
Novice painter
portfolio
Hilbrand Bos
Self employed
Embrace
Enschede, Netherlands

entering hangar

I have this idea and I'm a bit stuck on the atmosphere and the lighting. Is it interesting enough regarding composition and lighting? The idea is that the female figure is sort of scouting the hangar with her giant robot friend. The light in the hangar is supposed to be dimmer than the bright outside.
The outside should be light, but with a lot of nebula. So it provides enough atmosperic perspective. That's what I intended at least. Please let me know what you think.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
HilbrandBos
Novice painter
portfolio
Hilbrand Bos
Self employed
Embrace
Enschede, Netherlands

new direction

Chose a direction to go for with the lighting and background. What do you guys think?

Old 07-21-2014, 04:18 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Compositionally, the way you're overlapping the contour silhouette of both isn't the best approach. It creates two problems: 1) The clarity/instant readability of both figures are now convoluted/diluted. 2) The robot companion's unique design is not diluted.

You don't have to fully separate them, but you want to separate them enough, with just enough overlap to create a sense of depth.

As a visual narrative, the limited field of view makes this image less interesting than if you were to show more of the surrounding. For example, the details of the hangar can create a strong sense of location and narrative premise, as well as increase the atmosphere by establishing a sense of presence/immersion.

Don't chop off her feet at the bottom like that. Either clear them completely, or chop off at a point in the appendages that isn't at or near the joints or the tip/ends, so as to preserve a visual sense of completeness.

The lighting doesn't really work right now, because you have contradictions in the image. Your robot shows a clearly back-lit lighting scheme, yet the hangar's door is showing a directly overhead lighting direction. You need to pick one and be consistent about it. If there's artificial lighting just above the hangar door, then you need to think about it's brightness in comparison with the sunlight, and whether the sunlight will drown out any effects the artificial lights would have (by filling in the shadows the artificial lights created).

Also, unless there's strong ambient/reflective/secondary light coming from the front of the robot, it should remain quite dark except for the rim lighting from the sun.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Facemelt
portfolio
Loveland, United%2BStates

First off I really like the robot design, very cool! I also like your premise a lot, I can see this scene being played out in my head. Here are some things that I noticed that maybe can be considered.

1 - Its a little too center weighted. You could try to move the woman left and the robot right a little to help define the separation between the two a little more, and I think that would also help it seem a little more balanced.

2 - Head and foot room. There's a little too much space above the robots head, and the woman's feet are being cut off a little awkwardly. You may be able to shift the whole frame down so they both fit a little better into the composition.

3 - The crate or the box on the side seems a little off. You can't see enough of it to tell what it is, and I'm not really sure if its adding any information to the piece as a whole. I wouldn't of known they were in a hangar if you hadn't of said so. Maybe adding a few more of those crates stacked up in the background, or eliminating them and showing some ships or maybe a control tower in the background to help the viewer identify the setting more easily.

Hope this helps some! Paint on!

reply share thread