Alien Planet

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Alien Planet

Hey all, long time not post in here since my last turtle image. This time i want to post my last environment concept, alien world. The concept about this image is, i want to represent an alien world look like our earth, a world contain with meadow, fresh air, and some gigantic plants.
For your information, this is a final image, but I thought it was hard for maintaining a good value in the picture, sometimes it looks good and sometimes not. How about the value in this image?

I know train, train and train is a good way, but sometimes i need your opinion, how to maintain and defining a good value in the picture.
Usually, i make a saturation layer with black/ white color above all my painting layer for controlling a value in my image.

Old 07 July 2014   #2
What don't you like about the values?

The few things I noticed (as highlighted in the attached image) are:

Blue highlight - That entire foreground area takes up a lot of space, yet nothing in that foreground is nearly as interesting as the more exotic plants in the background, so why waste so much image real estate on something that isn't very interesting? Shouldn't the main focus of your image be the exotic plants?

Magenta highlight - The execution looks odd. What are those distinct hard-edges? Are they supposed to convey separation of two different planes of forms overlapping, or local color/value shift on the same surface/plane? On the right, it looks like change of color/value on the rock itself, but on the left, the readability is really vague and doesn't look like anything.

Yellow highlight - Why is the bottom area so much less contrasty and brighter? Is it fog/mist? If so, why it doesn't more consistent throughout the image?

Green highlight - The details on the ground looks kind of randomly placed, instead of following a more logical hierarchy based on focal distance or eye-leading based on composition needs.

The overall lighting in the plant area also looks kind of vague. Are they self-illuminating? From exactly what spots?

reply share thread