CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
kimmolino01
Veteran

portfolio
Kim Primo S. Molino
Concept Artist, Digital Matte Painter
Antipolo, Philippines

Smile High-tech Architecture2

In this concept art piece, I was inspired by high technology architecture that usually seen in Star Wars and Star Trek movies. As I began to see it in my mind, my idea is about that type of Architecture, then, I began searching the works of my favorite concept artist like Ryan Church, Dylan Cole and James Paick to see those environments they did from the past. Then I painted my own concept of a high tech architecture that has flying vehicles around it and I did make sure that my work has depth and good colors. For comments and suggestions, I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The image you posted is really small. You should post images that's at least 800~1000 pixels wide for something like a cityscape.

The main issue with your cityscape, is that it's kind of generic and lacking a strong sense of form. A cityscape if filled with man-made geometric shapes, so you need to have clear forms, but what you have is sharp contour shapes filled with vague and blurry details that have no sense of form, as if they're just flat shapes dotted with lights/windows. Architecture has form within the contour silhouette, and you need to show them. Buildings have balconies, inset windows, protruding air-conditioning units, etc--they're not all just totally flat and smooth glass fortresses.

Why does your city only have greenish exterior lights? Think about the common colored exterior lights used around the world for safety reasons, such as red, yellow, and green. For decorative and advertising purposes, other colors might be used too, including billboards, neon signs, etc.

Think about signal antennas, water towers, hovercraft guiding beacons, rooftop gardens, illegal power tapping, etc.

Also, building don't all have the same color. Do a search for the skylines around the world in today's most prosperous cities. Don't just look at fictional stuff--look at real world examples of what human beings actually design collectively, instead of just one guy's isolated vision (no matter how creative or talented he is). When you look at real skylines, you're seeing the works of many architects and designers and city planners--it's much more varied.

Did you purposely want the image to look desaturated? If so, what was the reason for it?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
kimmolino01
Veteran

portfolio
Kim Primo S. Molino
Concept Artist, Digital Matte Painter
Antipolo, Philippines

Smile

Hello there! Good day to you, thank you for your comments and I really appreciate it, it helps me a lot.

That image is quite big, around 2-3000 and 300dpi so I adjusted it to around, 60-70dpi, I think.

I'm really a fan of sci-fi films that's why my work is like that, you have point in your comments and I will do better next time in designing those sci-fi cities.

The reason why the image is desaturated is because, I want look at it in an early morning feel scene.

Again, thank you for these comments.

reply share thread