CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
kellychiu
portfolio

Jinx League of Legends WIP

Hi everyone... this is my WIP of Jinx. Crits appreciated as something about the image is really bugging me and I can't figure out what, but really want it fixed before I continue. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 AM   #2
DorothyTRose
The Magician

portfolio
Dorothy T. Rose
Artist
Oklahoma City, USA

Send a message via AIM to DorothyTRose
The number one thing that bothers me about this image is the lighting. It's all over the place. I highly recommend finding photos of a face in this angle with the kind of lighting that you want and study how it hits the planes of the face. If possible, use a model and coloured lamps--a cool light on the right and a warm light on the left. Use the exact same lighting for the hair. Obviously, you won't be able to find a model with that kind of hair, but you might be able to make do with braiding rope.

Getting the lighting consistent will be a big improvement, whether you want to go for realistic anatomy or something more cartoony. If you are going for realism, you'll also need to reference the proportions of the face because the ones you have are off.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Using proper reference is definitely one of the most important things you should do, especially when you are not an advanced artist who has mastered anatomy/figure to a certain degree. Advanced artists can fake stuff out of their head because they have extensively studied the human form and have built up a large visual memory bank based on experience, but for beginners/intermediate artists, they haven't acquired all that, so they must rely on references in order to produce decent works.

And make sure you are using references properly, instead of making the typical mistake of "Frankensteining" your references. I explained about the dangers of that in this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...955#post7242955

Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
kellychiu
portfolio

Thanks

Thanks guys, very helpful to get some feedback and that thread is very useful. As the original character is more cartoony than realistic, I was trying to reference her looks based off the original artwork so the proportions wouldn't be particularly realistic as it's quite stylised, but I do agree real photo reference is very important regardless, especially for lighting in this case so I should go back and work on those.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread