portfolio
Kamil Murzyn
Concept artist, illustrator, 3D generalist
Kamil Murzyn Arts
Gdansk, Poland

Send a message via MSN to kamilmurzyn
Sayja's concepts

Hello everyone,

I decided to post here some of my work, and update this thread as I progress. Looking for some critique and good comments (to counterbalance ). Recently I started doing pictures in a style that suits my very well and I wonder if this kind of art finds a place in CG/games industry, because I didn't see much of sketchy look around.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
jduguay
Veteran

portfolio
Jonathan DuGuay
Render Wrangler
Rainmaker Studios
Vancouver, Canada

HRMMM I'm not sure what to say just yet besides positives. The characters all have simple colors, seem familiar with classic ogres and orcs but are strikingly different and unique. They're very appealing to me!
You definitely have a consistent style cause I feel like these characters all fit in the same world because of the limited colors used, and how they don't look like warriors. The fisher is the only one that doesn't appear to have any highlights yet. Was there something specific you are looking to get feedback on?

Last edited by jduguay : 01-22-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added question

Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
kamilmurzyn

portfolio
Kamil Murzyn
Kamil Murzyn Arts
Gdansk, Poland

Thanks Jonathan, I was looking for exactly that kind of comments. I'm still developing this style - pictures look similiar, but all were created in slightly different way - more sketchy, harder contour, contrasts and values, etc.
About characters, I really prefer classic fantasy and I'm sick of "epicness" of majority of characters I see around. I rather see them as workers, merchants, hunters or soliders - these professions fit into the world. Warriors fit into hack and slash games.

I'll update this thread soon.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
jduguay
Veteran

portfolio
Jonathan DuGuay
Render Wrangler
Rainmaker Studios
Vancouver, Canada

That sounds like a fresh approach to avoid tropes. Did you work up to these current concepts, or have you not tried others? For example I'm wondering how many different fishermen you could design. Tried any female characters yet? I feel like there's not enough women with shapes and sized like what you have so far.

You're leaps ahead of me as far as painting and lighting goes so I shouldn't comment much on that, but I can comment on ideas. Did you give though into how this culture got out of the dark ages and into a more medieval times? If you think about the history of the people, maybe back a few generation, you might get some ideas.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

These are very nice. I like how expressive and unique they are.

I don't think a more sketchy style is inherently bad for concept work, as long as the design itself is clear, and all information required is there (such as form, sense of mass/volume, shape, details, surface properties, material, color palettes, local color variations/shifts). Some areas might be a bit too vague, and if these were used in production, the character artists might need you to clarify the material/surface properties of some areas, so think about that when doing the concepts. The human character's feet/shoes for example, are really vague.

The large green creature doesn't make sense to me biologically, since such a massive size/weight with two thin legs feels a bit illogical. With a torso that big/heavy, four legs would make more sense, and if it has to be two legs, then the legs could be thicker to support that massive torso.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
kamilmurzyn

portfolio
Kamil Murzyn
Kamil Murzyn Arts
Gdansk, Poland

Thanks for hints!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread