CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
kraemology
portfolio

Kraemology's Sketches

This seemed like the best place to start a sketchbook thread. Comments and critique are always welcome. I'm always seeking to improve. After doing to gestures, decided to dig up an old, simple sketch and do some coloring

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
kraemology
portfolio

60 sec and 120 sec gestures. Seems like with double the time, I should be exhibiting better results than this, but who's to say...?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
kraemology
portfolio

more 60 sec gestures. Took longer than usual to warm up...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
kraemology
portfolio

update on the whimsical nature sketch. Still just having fun with it.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The gestures are not bad at all. They do have a certain level of expressiveness and the proportions are in general pretty good. What would you like to improve on?

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
kraemology
portfolio

Thanks for the critique Lunatique.

Long term, I'd like to be able to convincingly render the human form so that I can incorporate it into my paintings. I'm not necessarily aiming to create portraits, or paintings that focus specifically on the human subject, but I would like to be able use the human figure, or even elements of it, in my work.

Short term, I'm focusing on capturing the essence of a pose in a relatively short amount of time, so that I might be able to create a more complete a rendering of that form if I were to come back to it later. Looking at my poses, I'd say maybe 60% of them fulfill this criteria, but I'd like to get to the point where the almost every pose is very readable from a simple 60 or 120 second gesture.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Are you doing structural studies alongside your gesture studies? To get to the level you described, it's important to also have a strong foundation in the structural aspect such as anatomy, as well as study the limits of human range of motion and center of gravity. Study lots of examples of dancers and athletes and acrobat/circus performers, because they are constantly testing their center of balance in various poses, and you can really learn how human beings balance themselves by counterbalancing with body parts or how much/where to angle their bodies, as well as what muscles to exert. Also study more subtle movements of how fashion models walk down the catwalk, people playing on the beach, hiking, etc. Knowing all that will allow you to create accurate poses that look natural.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
kraemology
portfolio

Good points Lunatique, those are definitely things I will need to keep in mind as I move forward. Thanks again for the advice

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #9
kraemology
portfolio

Been lazy over the last couple weeks. No excuses. More 60 sec (top) and 120 sec (bottom) gestures.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
kraemology
portfolio

about 60 minutes; a large portion of which was working with color in order to render a convincing golden suit

Old 01-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
kraemology
portfolio

Another study based on reference image. Once again, working with color. Image is (in my opinion) a fairly accurate representation of the source material. Not 100% satisfied with the feet, but oh well.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
kraemology
portfolio

More figure drawing practice...this time using a poster from the "Maniac" remake as reference.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
kraemology
portfolio

60 (top) & 120 (bottom) sec gestures. Getting better I think. Need to remember to stay loose and draw small. I seem to have better success when doing so.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #14
kraemology
portfolio

decided to try something new an do some 30 sec gestures. Would like to do more of them at a later date. Also, used a different brush, which was part of a brush set I found over on CGHub.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You need to play attention to edge quality. You have this bad habit of painting all your edges too soft, as if someone blurred the camera lens. There should be a variety of edges in images--from sharp, firm. soft, to lost edges. Use properly sharp-edged brushes when depicting hard edges, and soft brushes for softer edges--don't just use the same brush type on everything.

And start doing anatomy studies. Gestures really don't help all that much until you have already done a lot of structural studies, because you have no idea how to put those gestures into proper structural context, thus none of them will be retained in your memory/knowledge bank. Only when you know how to put the gestures in proper context would you be able to really assimilate the knowledge and be able to utilize it.

Thread Closed share thread