Matte painting: two towers in London

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Matte painting: two towers in London

This is a Matte painting about two towers of London is a desert and abandoned scene. I need add more details of sand, dust, light, shadows, etc.. and also I want add some plants and grass on the right-bottom corner, beside to the rocks that represent hope in this apocalyptic scene.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Continue...

Continue the process...

Old 10 October 2013   #3
You need to study lighting and how light, shadow, and colors interact in the real world. Piecing photo elements together without that understanding simply creates a lot of contradictions in your image that don't make sense and defy the laws of physics. Since this is still unfinished, maybe you just haven't gotten to it yet, but looking at the other images in your portfolio, it looks like you have made the same mistakes in the past.

I highly recommend you study this link: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

It'll teach you all the important basics of lighting.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Thanks a lot for the advice If you know more documentation about that, post it please, I will appreciate you

Last edited by Deividart : 10 October 2013 at 09:39 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
And here is the final image. I hope you like that.

Matte Painting in London

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Here are some problems you might want to take some time to fix, or learn about:

If your sky is blue, then it will bounce its blue color onto the shadow side of your scene. We don't see any of that ambient skydome bounced blue in the shadow areas of your scene.

You have veiling flare on the building, but what is causing that? A glare reflecting the setting sun? But according to the way the scene is lit on the building, the sun seems to be higher.

The foreground green grass/leaves don't blend into the lighting scheme as well as they should. They don't look like they are back-lit by the sun.

There are some areas don't look convincing because where hard-edged cast shadows should be, you have soft shadows.

The lit side of the buildings should still have dark form/cast shadows--they shouldn't be so light.

Some buildings in the background don't look like they are back-lit by a setting sun.

The foreground elements don't have accurate cast shadows either. You need to learn how to cast shadows accurately by measuring the position of the light source and the angle/perspective of the objects in relation to the light source.

All of these problems are due to lack of understanding of visual art foundations. The most important thing you can do for your artistic development right now, is to study those critical foundations, because they are important for all forms of visual art. You might want to read the sticky threads in the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature)--they contain lots of resources for learning the foundations.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Hi Lunatique. Thanks you about the resources that you have added. I know that must learn more about this techniques on this compositions and will be very helpful.

Thanks a lot. Regards

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread