Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Netherlands

Question BotZine

These are covers for a magazine we had to make up for a school assignment, had a lot of fun with drawing some goofy robots :] . I hope you like it, and I would really appreciate any constructive critique, since I feel like I am still at the beginning of a long journey and I am really serious about getting into the entertainment design field. I've got two more, but they are not entirely ready yet and I will upload them next week

Bleep :I
Mark

blog article >> http://markzwart.blogspot.nl/2013/10/botzine-1.html

Last edited by MarkZwart : 10-04-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
benkulino
portfolio
hebron ppg
Bandung, Indonesia

Hey Mark, i try to make a good critique for u
In your explanation, i assumed u just knew a little about design, didn't I?
So, if I true, i thought u must learned more about typography, layout, composition, and another design element.
I also assumed your first image was the front cover, and i let another member gave u another critiques for your back cover. Dont hesitate for asking another people about your front cover too.
Ok, your layout seemed too full and illogical. Did your magazine had a tagline? I thought u should add if necessary. Which was your magazine title? Parade party or bot zine? If the bot zine was the title, I thought u should switch bot zine position text with another text and made the size bigger. The common magazine such a N.Geograph*, Cosm* (sorry for using ***, because in this forum we should not advertise about anythings) had a tittle in upper position and of course with a contrast color and bigger size too, so when the magazine displayed in book store/ library it would be seemed more visible from far. Many people who searched in bookstore could find it easier, didn't they?.
If u combine text with picture i thought u should combine more carefully. The image should not disturb the text a lot, so your title could read more good and seemed from far. The Christmas issue should be in front cover with same color with your robot, i thought.

Finally I suggested u for learning more about layout and basic graphic design, typography and fonts, color composition, so your magazine will look more good. Thx, sorry for my poor English

Last edited by benkulino : 10-02-2013 at 01:15 AM.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Netherlands

Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Netherlands

@Benkulino: Thank you for your oppinion. I think the main thing that was bringing it down was indeed a problem with the lettering, the barcode that was part of the magazine title was making it quite hard to read, and also made it less prominent, so the other elements overpowered the title. As you can see, I changed it to a full letter and separated it from the barcode. I think it helps a lot and makes the entire cover a lot bolder (although my graphic design proffesor liked the the idea of merging the two more :P )

Mark

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
benkulino
portfolio
hebron ppg
Bandung, Indonesia

Yeah, basically your second design better than the first one. Your title looks more visible and contrast. But, your layout didn't look good and still untidy. I thought u should spend more time when you prepare the layout. Maybe u will learn more about grid and typography.

Is your magazine purposed for printing? If it is purposed for printing i think u should think about margins (left, right, up, bottom), especially in the left side and right side. In my country, not all printing machine can't print the whole side perfectly, sometimes in some side the design elements are truncated by the machine. I don't know about printing machine in your country, but if u prepare about it, any printing machine can print your art without any risk, do I?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread