Alien spider

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Alien spider

Here is another one!
It took about 2 days to paint, but I still don't think it looks quite right...

Feedback is very appreciated!

09 September 2013
Well here it is!

09 September 2013
You have a similar problem here as I commented in your other thread. When you have too much contrast everywhere, on every local surface and detail, it actually flattens your image/lighting and decreases the readability of the overall forms. Not every thing has to have this contrasty rim light on different directions. Also, whether this is meant as a concept art or as illustration, the close cropping doesn't really make sense, because in either case, there's really no reason to zoom in on the creature and crop out so much of its legs and the top of its head. If you're doing it for a narrative purpose, then it has to be clear why. For example, maybe you can make it look like the creature's attacking the viewer and has pinned the viewer down on the ground and is going in for the kill.

09 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Thinking about tonal contrast is something I wasn't aware of until now so you have really opened up my eyes and thank you for that.

I tried improving it the way you suggested while looking at the image in black and white, that helped me see the contrast more clearly.

I have not yet finished the painting, but I wanted to post an update of how it is going.
I think it looks a little better than before, I have darkened the highlights on the right side and brightened the darks on the lit side.

The lighting also needs improving so that it works for the image because the whole image looks darker, it needs to look more interesting.

I really liked your idea of having someone else in the picture. Not sure if the pose works, but I definitely need to paint some weapons or something in the foreground so that it makes more sense for him to look back. I'll probably have to change the mouth as well because it looks more like a happy smile right now...

09 September 2013
Much better. The lighting's more coherent and with better sense of depth, and with a narrative context, the image has dramatic power that it didn't have before. I always try to get artists to think more like visual storytellers instead of just people who make pretty pictures, because having narratives and emotions just makes the images so much more interesting than just some character in front of a background (unless it's meant to be a pinup).

The composition is a bit cramped still, with the character pushed up against the border of the image, as if she's resting on the bottom border. While that can be a compositional device to create a sense of tension, I think there are better ways to do it that doesn't look as awkward. For example, extent the canvas and place rocks for the character to be pushed against. Or you can show a bit of human bones scattered on the floor to show that there were previous victims. You mentioned a weapon, and that will add another element to the narrative. Her looking helplessly at the weapon that's within her reach, but she can't spare either one of the hands to reach for it because she's fighting for her life. You can also extent the canvas in other directions to show a bit more of the location, which creates a stronger sense of immersion. For example, it can be a creepy looking cavern with alien hieroglyphs and debris from a crashed alien construct that's now the home of the creature.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread