Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Designer
Enschede, Netherlands

Project Ammit

"Rock '70" View high res version >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/969049...in/photostream/

This image is one of the first serious attempts at digital painting. I got a tablet two months ago, but until now I only made some quick sketches to get used to it. This took three days to make, and might be a bit over detailed.

Detail

The idea behind it is that it is a secret genetics research facility in the 70's/80's called "Project Ammit". Design is inspired by functionalist design of the time (Bang & Olufsen, Braun, that style) and syd mead-ish retrofuturism. I am quite happy with how the retro-look turned out, although I think a little bit more research and design thought could have gone into the building.

I liked the idea quite a bunch, so I am planning on making this into a set of 3 designs by making an interior and some equipment designs or something alike, which I am going to put up here as well.

Hope you like it, any critique would be awesome. I have been drawing for quite a while, but I am totally new to digital painting. I have some WIP's as well, so if anyone is interested I can upload those as well.

Thanks in advance :]
Mark

more info >> http://markzwart.blogspot.nl/2013/08/rock-70.html

Last edited by MarkZwart : 09-02-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Designer
Enschede, Netherlands

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/...0685e08af_o.jpg << high res

I cropped the image a bit and did some simple color adjustments to fix some composition issues and make the image a bit more interesting and retro looking.

Last edited by MarkZwart : 09-13-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
benkulino
portfolio
hebron ppg
Bandung, Indonesia

Hey Mark, i like your idea. Honestly i dont know about retro futurism, maybe sometimes i will read more.
Ok, for your image. In my humble opinion, i thought if u combine the third image with the second image (the building) as a background, it would look more interesting and could tell a story. The background would be thinner so the depth of your image more visible. For the story, u can imagine it lately, but i would give u one, the driver is calling his friend behind the gate for opening the gate, or something like that.
I hope u understand what i said, sorry for my bad English

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
MarkZwart
Veteran

portfolio
Mark Zwart
Designer
Enschede, Netherlands

Thank you for your comment

Actually, I already thought about adding a little story. The second image is a detail of the third image (the one with the building). You can see it on the bottom, about a third from the right side of the image. I intentionally didn't make it really obvious because I wanted the focus to be on the main building.

The idea behind the little scene is that the guard is pointing out the sign on the left to the driver, to show him that he should return. I agree with you that it is not a fancy backstory, but the car scene is only meant to give some clues to the backstory of the entire image (time period, the level of security, the fact that whatever is inside is hidden to the public, etc)

Still, I really appreciate your oppinion. Maybe I should make the story element a bit more prominent next time.

Mark

ps: don't be sorry for your english, it's quite good

Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread