Vector pathway, linear perspective

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2013
Looks better.

I don't know how serious you are about your artistic development, but if you are serious about it, then the smart thing to do, is to stop trying to create these images without purpose while fumbling with mistake after mistake that you can't see due to lack of knowledge/insights, and start buckling down and actually tackle your weaknesses in a systematic manner and work on your critical foundations as a visual artist. That kind of effective learning/practice strategy is the only way to excel efficiently as an artist, otherwise you'd just tread in the same spot and not seeing significant improvement and waste years and years of your life not getting anywhere as an artist. If you don't have professional/lofty aspirations as an artist and just want to have fun, then it doesn't really matter--just have fun. But you seem to be frustrated by your lack of growth, self-doubt, and feeling lost, and if you want to gain confidence and have a clear direction as an artist, then invest the time and energy to work on your foundations.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Looks better.

I don't know how serious you are about your artistic development, but if you are serious about it, then the smart thing to do, is to stop trying to create these images without purpose while fumbling with mistake after mistake that you can't see due to lack of knowledge/insights, and start buckling down and actually tackle your weaknesses in a systematic manner and work on your critical foundations as a visual artist. That kind of effective learning/practice strategy is the only way to excel efficiently as an artist, otherwise you'd just tread in the same spot and not seeing significant improvement and waste years and years of your life not getting anywhere as an artist. If you don't have professional/lofty aspirations as an artist and just want to have fun, then it doesn't really matter--just have fun. But you seem to be frustrated by your lack of growth, self-doubt, and feeling lost, and if you want to gain confidence and have a clear direction as an artist, then invest the time and energy to work on your foundations.

Thanks, I'll take all that on board.

Here's how it looks now:

[img//]http://i.cubeupload.com/CJcxZW.png[/img]

Just added a rough sketch for the character on the path. Does anyone know where I can get good references for a man walking away from that perspective? Quite difficult to find.

Last edited by heliosphan : 10 October 2015 at 06:52 PM.

10 October 2013
The best references are the ones you take yourself, because you can control exactly the angle, focal length, the lighting, the pose, the expression, the clothing, etc. Everybody's got a camera of some kind these days, so just go and take your own references with a friend/family.

09 September 2014
Returned to this yesterday after getting fed up with it.

Think I'm happy to call it finished at this point:

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/eRRSW6v.png[/img]

09 September 2014
Looks good, something I noticed is you seem to have the majority of the trees in line going down the road, why are the purple and blue tree the only ones uneven? Perhaps make others uneven or keep them all in line. (unless there was a specific reason for this)
One other note would be the leaves on the ground. It seems as you get into the distance you have some on the grass, but you should have that in the foreground as well. The leaves wouldn't just fall to one side of the tree.

09 September 2014
Originally Posted by Pherbis: Looks good, something I noticed is you seem to have the majority of the trees in line going down the road, why are the purple and blue tree the only ones uneven? Perhaps make others uneven or keep them all in line. (unless there was a specific reason for this)
One other note would be the leaves on the ground. It seems as you get into the distance you have some on the grass, but you should have that in the foreground as well. The leaves wouldn't just fall to one side of the tree.

That was purely a compositional thing. As for the leaves, it looked odd having them on the grass in the foreground because of the length of the grass there. It's riddled with problems like that really.

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/FeVGt7Y.png[/img]

09 September 2014
You can just overlap the blades of grass and the fallen leaves. It's a highly stylized image anyway, so it doesn't matter if it seems the grass blades are huge compared to the leavers.

09 September 2014
You're right it does look better with more leaves on the grass:

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/ecZ5ap0.png[/img]

09 September 2014
Don't just lay the leaves on top of the grass. You need to hide some of the leaves partially behind the blades so there's clear overlap, otherwise the leaves are just "floating" to the tips of the grass blades. You can also turn some leaves so they're not simply horizontal but at various angles.

10 October 2014
shadows doesn't make any sense

judging from the sky in the back you have front light so right now it looks like there's a huge lamp on the left. you need to decide where the light is coming from and stick to it

nice image otherwise

10 October 2014
It's fascinating to watch the image develop over the life of this conversation and the attitude/philosophy advice given is truly insightful. I think I'll enjoy this website

reply share thread