Vector pathway, linear perspective

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

08 August 2013
Vector pathway, linear perspective

Hi, just working on this vector and struggling with the atmospheric perspective of the path

I've applied a gradient for the time being but it feels like a tacky way of doing things...

Need the same transition of colour without just blocking the colours in horizontally cos that looks awful

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/kIGYFl1.png[/img]

Last edited by heliosphan : 10 October 2015 at 06:54 PM.

08 August 2013
Decided to just stick with the gradient

Can someone tell me if these shadows look like shadows?

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/osOTVAC.png[/img]

08 August 2013
Changed the shadows

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/FGi6k7N.png[/img]

08 August 2013
[][][][][][][]

Last edited by heliosphan : 10 October 2015 at 06:45 PM.

08 August 2013
I've decided I don't like the grass anymore...

The difference in colour between each section makes it look hilly, but I want it to look flat. Any advice?

[img//]http://i.imgur.com/iUx0o2K.png[/img]

08 August 2013
Sorry, I've been extremely busy teaching the "Becoming A Better Artist" workshop, and haven't had time to give critiques here for a week or so.

Instead of breaking the grass up into bands like that, why don't you do the gradation vertically, and then add some blades of grass here and there to give it that grass feel?

Your cast shadow is incorrect. In order for the cast shadow to be smaller than the object that's casting it, the light source would have to be very big, but the sun is so far away and appears as a fairly small light source. Imagine the sun in the sky, and then draw trajectory lines from its radius to the contour edges of the object you want to cast a shadow of, and you'll get the correct cast shadow shape/size/placement.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Lunatique: Sorry, I've been extremely busy teaching the "Becoming A Better Artist" workshop, and haven't had time to give critiques here for a week or so.

Instead of breaking the grass up into bands like that, why don't you do the gradation vertically, and then add some blades of grass here and there to give it that grass feel?

Your cast shadow is incorrect. In order for the cast shadow to be smaller than the object that's casting it, the light source would have to be very big, but the sun is so far away and appears as a fairly small light source. Imagine the sun in the sky, and then draw trajectory lines from its radius to the contour edges of the object you want to cast a shadow of, and you'll get the correct cast shadow shape/size/placement.

Thanks for the response, it's much appreciated.

Do you mean a simple gradient from the bottom to the horizon like this?

And I'm unsure how the shadow thing works, here's a crude drawing of what you suggested but I'm still not sure of the shadow shape/size/placement? EDIT: Ah, I understand it now I think. If the lines are extended beyond the object, the length of the shadow horizontally will be the point where it touches the lines.

Last edited by heliosphan : 08 August 2013 at 10:15 PM.

08 August 2013
Yes, vertical gradation. That's what I meant.

And yes, you have to extend the lines past the contour edge of the object until you hit the surface the shadow will be on.

Along with the perspective of your scene (mapping perspective to the vanishing point), you'll be able to get an accurate shape/size/placement of your cast shadow.

08 August 2013
Thought I'd post an update on this

[img//]http://i.cubeupload.com/HADrJ9.png[/img]

Last edited by heliosphan : 10 October 2015 at 06:53 PM.

08 August 2013
Looks better to me.

The clouds are a bit unnatural. Try having more organic shapes overlap instead of this homogenized crisscrossing.

The blades of grass overlapping the road looks a bit odd, as if they have all been flattened against the ground. Try having them angled upwards instead (unless you want them to look flattened).

09 September 2013
Definitely looks best in your most recent iteration. Like the clouds! For the shadows on the trees, remember that the shadow of the tree in front will look "longer" from this point of view than the one in the back. The shadow for the front tree would likely go off the edge of your drawing, while the one in the back would remain fully within frame. All of them should overlap the right edge of the path.

Also, if the trees on the left side have shadows, so will those on the right side. They might be more broken up by the grass, but they'd be there. Try going out to the park around the time the sun would be where it is in your drawing and looking at how the shadows are cast through the grass. Even if this isn't how you'd like to represent it, that could give you a lot of good ideas for how to make those shadows.

Hope this helps! Good job!

09 September 2013
Thanks for the response again Lunatique

[img//]http://i.cubeupload.com/LJ5vZv.png[/img]

Last edited by heliosphan : 10 October 2015 at 06:53 PM.

09 September 2013
Thanks for the reply also, fellows27. For some reason your post has only just appeared and wasn't there when I posted the last time.

09 September 2013
The grass still looks odd, like they are either pointing up, or flattened against the ground. I did a quickie paintover to show you what I mean.

In the attached image, the magenta marks how your grass is either up, or down. The yellow marks how they can look when angled and overlapping the road more naturally.
Attached Images
File Type: png LJ5vZv-rob-edited.png (26.0 KB, 29 views)

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Lunatique: The grass still looks odd, like they are either pointing up, or flattened against the ground. I did a quickie paintover to show you what I mean.

In the attached image, the magenta marks how your grass is either up, or down. The yellow marks how they can look when angled and overlapping the road more naturally.

Yeah I assumed that's what you meant, having trouble with it though. Can't seem to get it to look right. Part of the problem is that most of those blades in your paintover wouldn't be visible unless I made them a separate color to the horizontal band of grass that they're covering.

Last edited by heliosphan : 09 September 2013 at 10:16 PM.

reply share thread