Judith - Help?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Judith - Help?

So I'm just trying to finish up this picture sometime soon and wanted to ask for some help/comments/critiques, etc.

It's still wip so she's not totally smoothed out yet so bare with me. (also the colors will need adjusting in the end :P)

I looked at references for her hands and the skull. I also looked at some drapery for her head covering. I just want to end this one strong so any comments would help me

Old 07 July 2013   #2
Can you describe what it is you wanted to express/convey with this image? What is it about Judith that you wanted to paint a picture of her?

Her eyes don't look quite human--almost robotic like. Is this intentional? And if it isn't intentional, I can give you tips on how to make her eyes look more natural.

The area right below (in vertical orientation) the root of the thumb--the first dorsal interosseous area--the turning of form seems too sharp, as if the flesh/skin creases sharply, which isn't likely.

The joint next to her thumbnail (distal interphalangeal joint) looks very odd, as if there's a ridge there.

Her hands are also slightly large relative to her face. Usually hands stretch from the chin to the middle of the forehead, and on Judith, it stretches all the way to her hairline.

The hair is a bit too flat/simplified and can use a bit more definition in its structure of strands, layers, and overall sense of volume.

Her left trapezius area seems to be suddenly missing. You need lighten up the values in that area.

The readability and accuracy of the clothing folds aren't as convincing as should be. Don't just look at photo references taken by other people--the best solution is to take your own, so you can arrange the model/clothing exactly as how you'd want it in your image, instead of trying to piece together from various photos that weren't meant to be depicting exactly what you have in mind.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Oy... dang darn, I wasn't sure if this went up or not (I haven't been here for awhile) so I actually worked on it like last week :(

Ok so I fixed alot of the issues that I SAW at the time and I just wanted to keep the hair pretty simple. I did want her to look pretty mechanic/creepy/lifeless (Just the way I saw this image).

I actually made her hair come over on the left side of her (it's not disappearing, just covered by her hair - but if you can't tell from that, I guess I do need details in her hair, huh? I just wanted it to be a black area but if its needed, I can get that fixed!)

I guess shrink her hand, (I thought it was big when I was drawing it but for some reason I kept it.) fix her thumb, and work on the clothes folds more?? What do you think about the latest version?

Thank you so much, your critique is so immensely helpful!! I really appreciate it.

Old 07 July 2013   #4
Her thumb still doesn't read correctly. You said you're using photo references, but are you following them accurately? The main problem is the tip segment of the thumb does not match the lighting of the rest of the hand, and the form looks confused. You need to place the form shadow in a consistent manner that makes the thumb read correctly (a somewhat oval shape in its circumference).

Making the hair more readable would help a lot. In fact, readability is one of the most common problems that's not talked about nearly enough, and it's a problem that plagues even advanced artists.

I recommend you shoot your own reference (regardless of the fact her face is highly stylized). Vast majority of all the problems I see in the WIP forum could have been prevented if people just took the time to carefully set up their own reference photos with family or friends and household lamps. It makes a world of difference in how good your result would look--it beats trying to piece together various photo references shot by other people and not meant for your creative vision. Also, so many problems could be solved during the photoshoot, such as effective lighting, experimenting with composition, experimenting with poses, expressions, arranging the clothing folds, etc. Professional illustrators do this, and if you are serious about your work, you should too.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread