Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Rengin
Veteran

portfolio
Rengin Tumer
Utrecht, Netherlands

Requesting paintover for environmental painting

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to settle down again after starting my new job and it's time to continue improving my painting skills. I've been thumbnailing this for a while at a much smaller size, but I'm kind of stuck. Before I go and elaborate on this I feel like it needs a more solid start. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to do a paintover, since those are always tremendously helpful.

What I'm going for is conveying the enormous scale of the bridge, mostly, as well as strengthening the basics like composition, color, values.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Nice avatar! I would suggest doing some other studies. Try some different angles because this one's not really saying anything about the enormous scale of the bridge.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
StefRob
portfolio
France

I believe the little black spot in the lower right place is a human. Unfortunately at the scale of the image you posted we can't really tell. If I were you I'd place him following the rules of 1/3-2/3 to make him stand out and giving him visibility. Or making him a little bigger, it would still make the bridge impressive.
One another possibility is to make a totally different kind of picture with a look up perspective. Always an effective way to make your point.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Rengin
Veteran

portfolio
Rengin Tumer
Utrecht, Netherlands

Thank you for your comments! After a few more tries I came up with the following:

Looking forward to more input =) I'd like to still show off some environment as well, something which the previous version had a bit more of, though the focus should definitely be on the bridge.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Usually, the best way to convey a sense of scale is to have "normal" sized objects we are familiar with in the scene to contrast against the object you want to convey the scale of, and then use a camera angle/perspective that dramatizes the effect.

The more obvious perspective of the second one is definitely more effective than the first one in conveying a sense of scale. If you add some cars and people, they will further clarify the sense of scale.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread