2D - Waiting for a Ride

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
2D - Waiting for a Ride

This picture was something I took at The Gaslamp Quarter. I would like to know if the photograph is understandable and message gets displayed when viewing the photo.

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Not really. The title is "Waiting for a Ride," but no one in the photo is actually waiting for anything--it's just a guy walking. What exactly are you trying to express/convey with this photo?

Old 06 June 2013   #3
I am trying to express/convey what is meant in the title. I took this picture and labeled it as such for a more metaphorical meaning. Not to be interpreted in a literal sense, and as such the tricycle is empty waiting for someone to enter and be transported. Those are the only messages I am trying to give to the viewer while the viewer can make his or her own meaning out of the image. Which I try not to give a direct reference to the viewer since that is not conceptual art but commercial art in regards to how the image may be used. To state that my work is highly suggestive and not direct in any way.

Last edited by Nekotiq : 06 June 2013 at 02:31 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
If the tricycle is the main focus, then that walking figure only confuses the message. The shot should have had the tricycle featured more prominently as the main subject matter, and the title should also be changed. The tricycle isn't waiting for a ride--it's waiting for a passenger or rider.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
That is what I meant by my sentence. The main focus of the image is the emptiness of the area. The second sub focus is the tricycle waiting for a passenger to be transported. The third and last focus is the pedestrian either walking to the tricycle or away which is left to the assumption of the viewer.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Yes, you have those elements in the shot, but compositionally they do not create a compelling image of visual storytelling. When it comes to images--especially photography, composition is the most important, then everything else (subject matter, lighting, narrative, mood, etc).

What you have here looks more like a shot that was taken without a narrative purpose--just a random shot like most people's street shooting (walking around the city with a camera and shoot whatever)--then a title was added after the fact to give it some narrative meaning, instead of a shot that had a narrative purpose that was premeditated and creative coherent before/during the execution. If you did indeed have a creative vision for this shot in the narrative context you described, the weak composition does not do it justice. A different composition would have made your narrative purpose much more clear and coherent.

Old 06 June 2013   #7
I would like to disagree. The composition of the image actually allows the storytelling to be that much more clear, compelling and descriptive. If you notice the image is bottom heavy with all the main points to illustrate located at that region. I also did not take this as a point and shoot shot but for my Photo Imagery course at SDSU. Which I am stating as the photo was not shot randomly without no meaning to where I direct my camera towards, with the main vocabulary of photography coming to mind: Vantage Point, Focal Length, Frame, Geometry, and Camera Time. I could break down the meanings more for a better understanding but I will just state those in case you would like to ask me specifically what my thoughts were when creating this photographic image. To state the only thing that came secondarily was the actual title since I first shot the photo then wanted to create a compelling title to go with the image, but the actual photo shoot itself was not done randomly and senselessly with no thought or meaning behind it. I feel grateful and lucky that I shot this photo along with a few other photos during that day but to state I always consider my thoughts when creating art in general.

Old 06 June 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread