Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

WIP aid needed with character design

need urgent advice D= top one is the one i am working with, but then its somehow too bleak in comparison with what it could be x[ my passion for acid red is undying and might make smashing win D= tthats just red layer with different modes for now, but somehow im at complete loss over here after checking x/ scene is supposed to be jungle with some lonesome plant nymph. do give other input if you got any x] thanks!

Last edited by Stormchain : 05-11-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
SteveIacopetti
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve Iacopetti
Looking
Looking
Sycamore, US

I like the blues in the second one, but not the reds...the reds do not give a feel of a lonesome nymph. Might want to make it more of a night scene? The yellowy day ones don't give a "feel" of lonesome. Do you understand?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

spring clouds my judgement =D the last one looks withered, could suit the theme in theory... x/ wont look as thriving jungle though

Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

fyi

so theres the end result

Old 05-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Usually, cooler colors are what conveys loneliness/sadness better (that's why people refer to feeling "blue").

You have a single-color-family approach in all versions--is that a personal preference? The latest version with the red flower-head doesn't quite convey loneliness. Red is a very striking color, and that in and of itself isn't a problem. I think the problem has more to do with the body language of the nymph. Think about how lonely people carry themselves. They appear withdrawn, introverted, shy, sad, insecure, etc. If you want the narrative to have strong readability, it's important to make sure the character has the right body language and facial expression to convey the emotion you want to express.

You might want to also increase the readability of the main focal point by creating a stronger separation of it and the surrounding elements with contrasting values and colors. You can use lighting to do it, or alter the local values/colors. Varying the hue, saturation just enough can help, without pushing too far and break your single-color-family palette.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

you are completely right. should have gone with night/blue for that.

began with one mindselt but spent too much time drawing outside and spring killed the mood i wanted to convey x/ well, to hell with that - worked out well in the end. my usual pref are reds. since the starting "green" picture had none of it, just began panicking and push for it. the #2 example was completely unearthly and thought like maybe it was time to play with non signature styles... but yeah in the end the high contrast is too alien for me, probably cant work it anyway.

also, somewhere along the way started thinking what could she be reaching for? and it turns out i had spare time to work the idea further. now, there's different dilemma. cant decide who that guy should be. have been sitting on this forever, unable to make decisive move

an animal anthro? but thats so cliche
a naga? cuz the tails are amazing >_<!
human? so very boring, but kind of fitting for nymph to prey on.
another plant? fits the setting best, but... that idea already used for the chick

Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

As a visual storyteller, you need to start thinking like a storyteller should, not just someone who draws/paints pictures.

What is the narrative you want to express? Who is she? Why is she even there in the scene? What do you want to convey in this scene? What is the premise for this narrative? Why should it matter to your audience? How do you make your audience care about what's happening in your scene and what your characters are doing and feeling?

If you want to become better at communicating narrative ideas as a visual storyteller, then you need to start adopting the mindset of movie directors, screenplay writers, and novelists. Visual storytellers are more than just people who make pretty pictures--they are first and foremost, storytellers with something to express.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

well and that is the final result

Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Ah, that looks much better. The tree in the middle as symbol for the division that keeps these two characters apart is a good call. Also seeing the two of them in the same image makes their longing more obvious.

The female's readability is still a bit low. If you simply compare her to the male, it's obvious the male's readability is much higher. The contrast of values with the immediate background around him is stronger, while she blend into the background a bit too much.

While the tree in the middle is a good symbolic element, the overall composition feels a bit too balanced (locked by similar visual weight on both sides), without a more natural visual flow. One solution is to move the camera so it is looking at this scene from a bit more of an angle, instead of straight-on profile angle.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread