obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Batman lighting and composition suggestions

This is a current project I'm working on for my portfolio. The idea is essentially a series of illustrations depicting aging super heroes. In this piece Batman is called during his midnight snack/feast. He is annoyed to be interrupted (and called to duty) as the entire neighborhood is turning on their lights at the sound of the blast pictured in the background. The roof will eventually be littered with fast food rappers and the yellow window light added as well. He will be holding a donut or some such thing and his cell phone will be providing the main light source to the face once I figure out highlights and shadows. I'm incorporating several light sources and need suggestions about overall composition and lighting. Too much going on or not enough? Most elements are unfinished (obviously) and I'm open to change. Bat light may need to be re-positioned and foreground sharpened etc... Also please let me know which type of brushes you use in your illustration work. I'm still struggling with using the soft brushes too much because of my training with an airbrush. It's my comfort zone but I'm just seeing too many blurry areas when I work like this in Photoshop. It's new to me and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll figure it all out eventually but please help accelerate the process! Thanks to all! To the bat cave!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batman.jpg (94.9 KB, 46 views)

Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Vylkrom
portfolio
Vishesh Chopra
Nagpur, IN

Hi there. Interesting concept

The way I see it, this illustration might become better if you add more detail to it. My suggestions-

-Moonlight isn't really necessary, since there's already so many light sources for the city and Batman. Maybe move the Batsignal to the right in place of the moon.

-Blast needs to be more visible. Increase the blast radius and try to add a little debris and maybe smoke too.

-Needs multiple layers of buildings to add more depth to it. A lot of work, yes, but it might be what you need.

I'm no pro though, just a few suggestions. Hope it helps. Good luck

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Update

A little farther along. Still working out lighting. Added a beard. I figure if he has stopped working out why bother with a shave every morning. Also adjusted location of bat signal. Works better, I think, but still needs to be more realistic. Anyone out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batman.jpg (91.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 04-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

What is the main light source in the front of Batman? He looks to be lit very brightly, and if the phone is the main light source, then it needs to be much, much darker. It's just the screen of a phone, not a floodlight. Also, people tend to over-light scenes and kill the mood, so it's better to keep it moody instead of blast the lighting like amateur photographers do with flashes.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylkrom
Hi there. Interesting concept

The way I see it, this illustration might become better if you add more detail to it. My suggestions-

-Moonlight isn't really necessary, since there's already so many light sources for the city and Batman. Maybe move the Batsignal to the right in place of the moon.

-Blast needs to be more visible. Increase the blast radius and try to add a little debris and maybe smoke too.

-Needs multiple layers of buildings to add more depth to it. A lot of work, yes, but it might be what you need.

I'm no pro though, just a few suggestions. Hope it helps. Good luck

Thanks for the feedback Vylkrom! I'm in the process of changing several elements including some you mentioned. A lot of work = a lot of practice. Always a good thing. I'm enjoying the learning process in the digital world!

Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #6
obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
What is the main light source in the front of Batman? He looks to be lit very brightly, and if the phone is the main light source, then it needs to be much, much darker. It's just the screen of a phone, not a floodlight. Also, people tend to over-light scenes and kill the mood, so it's better to keep it moody instead of blast the lighting like amateur photographers do with flashes.

Thanks again Lunatique. I'm currently making several adjustments including the toning down of lighting. I agree that the mood should not be killed by the flooding of light on the face (and elsewhere, for that matter). I'll look forward to your feedback when I get this to a more finished state.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Slowly moving along with this piece when I can spare a few moments. Still playing with light and still several more elements to add. Just added some of the food this afternoon. More to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batman.jpg (94.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by obrienpaint : 04-25-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Konrtist
portfolio
Konstantin Cheysvili
US

Hey, looks pretty cool so far. I made an egg batman myself so i had to research a little about batman.

Have you thought of adding some detail to his body? or adding some belt that would be under his fat?

heres a picture i found just googling fat batman ,i know its completely different art styles but similar concept.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
obrienpaint
Veteran
portfolio
John O'Brien
Illustrator
O'Brien PaintWorks
Geneva, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrtist
Hey, looks pretty cool so far. I made an egg batman myself so i had to research a little about batman.

Have you thought of adding some detail to his body? or adding some belt that would be under his fat?

heres a picture i found just googling fat batman ,i know its completely different art styles but similar concept.

Thanks for the feedback Konrtist. My thought is that the suit and belt no longer fit so he's just in a random dark color spandex thing. I'd love to see the egg Batman. I'll check out your stuff.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Konrtist
portfolio
Konstantin Cheysvili
US

Yeah I dont think they will fit lol.

I did not put anything in my portfolio yet, im new. But heres a pic of Bat-egg and Yolker...still havent finished that project.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhuy4dv54m24uun/Scene2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkfl6yqu19alzf0/w3a1%232.jpg

Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread