can i hear a few advices?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
TheArtySquid
Veteran

portfolio
Emilien Rotival
Freelance illustrator
Bordeaux, France

What would you like to hear about? What is your aim in doing this picture?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

practice mainly. trying to gain speed. this particular one took around 2h. sketching poses like that from magazines in my the free time. i figure pros can produce that kind of pic within 30min? as it is, takes me about that much to have lineart.

tips, ideas, things im doing wrong would be nice to hear?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchain
practice mainly. trying to gain speed. this particular one took around 2h. sketching poses like that from magazines in my the free time. i figure pros can produce that kind of pic within 30min? as it is, takes me about that much to have lineart.

tips, ideas, things im doing wrong would be nice to hear?

Where do you get that time for the 'pros" from? Anyway, don't worry about things like that, each project you attempt will have it's own unique things that will effect how long it takes. Speed is something I don't understand the need for, since it's only really applicable in school settings. I've seen pros take forever, and some churn stuff out fast, it has to do with a lot of factors that you can't always control.

You captured the pose, that's what's important.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
TheArtySquid
Veteran

portfolio
Emilien Rotival
Freelance illustrator
Bordeaux, France

I concur. Gaining speed only for its own sake wouldn't take you very far when cameras already provide instant duplication. If you wish to make progress as an artist, then you would benefit more from focusing on those aspects of the trade where subjectivity comes into play: color, composition, expressivity, brushwork... Learn to create a vision that will surpass what the real world has to offer

If, on the other hand, you wish to train your eye and want help in spotting differences between the model and your study, then here's what I can see:
- The complexion of her knees is pinker and darker than you painted
- The highlights on her feet are too bright. Long story short: the lightest light in shadow should still be darker then the darkest dark in light
- Same goes for the reflected highlights on the side of her legs: reflected light is never as bright as direct light.
- Her left eye is in the cast shadow of her hair, and so should be darker than the right eye.
- Speaking of eyes, they're instrumental in conveying emotion. Subtle tweaks of their shape will vastly change what a face expresses, so it should receive more attention.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
Stormchain
Bleed For Me

portfolio
Stb
Lithuania

the speed for me generally means how good i became. on simple pieces like this anyway. when i first started, my "big" works would take extensive days, and then id see photorealistic pic done as speedpaint... call it a complex since those days, haha.

one thing i struggle a lot with is the shading and lighting. i just abuse the highlights and dont even notice it. i love when things pop out, even if they end up dulling each other. recently ive been starting to pay attention to expressions, pores, creases and other non random textures, and yet tones seem to be ruining all the effort.

thanks for inputs!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Quote:
the speed for me generally means how good i became. on simple pieces like this anyway. when i first started, my "big" works would take extensive days, and then id see photorealistic pic done as speedpaint... call it a complex since those days, haha.

one thing i struggle a lot with is the shading and lighting. i just abuse the highlights and dont even notice it. i love when things pop out, even if they end up dulling each other. recently ive been starting to pay attention to expressions, pores, creases and other non random textures, and yet tones seem to be ruining all the effort.

thanks for inputs!

Personally, I don't pay attention to how long something takes, unless I'm charging by the hour - and that's rare these days. (I'm a professional illustrator and designer, for 20 years now). I can gauge how long something might take, but that's just to work out a production schedule. Some of my best work were done quickly, some I agonized over forever, some for years.

How good you are as an artist shouldn't be measured by speed - maybe it's a young person thing, and a competitive thing, but it really isn't a measure - and it's only natural that as you improve as an artist, you do get faster - and part of the process of becoming an artist is to learn when to slow down and pay attention.

You have very strong rending skills. That's all I need to know, to judge you as an artist. How long it took? Honestly, I don't care. Michelangelo took 4 years to paint the Sistine chapel - had he done it in 3, would it be better somehow?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
TheArtySquid
Veteran

portfolio
Emilien Rotival
Freelance illustrator
Bordeaux, France

Quote:

On the matter of speed vs expressivity, I would also recommand this post which really helped me a lot in understanding what should or shouldn't matter when you're tackling speedpaint.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread