Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
MatthewMizak

portfolio
Matthew Mizak
Computer Graphic
Lodz, Poland

Valkyrie (critique request)

I have done this while ago on Contest entry. It is Valkyrie from nordic mythology with a little twist. As I want to improve and be better as a digital painter I am asking for critique what to do to create something with more impact. What mistakes did I made with this one etc. Also did I designed something wrong within the char?
Thank you for each comment.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

For a lot of people, blatant sexualization in designs that shouldn't be overtly sexual is very off-putting. It feels gratuitous, vulgar, and juvenile, as well as lacking common sense. For example, many people hate seeing warrior females wearing almost nothing, which is completely pointless because why would anyone dress in such sexualized manner for battle?

Other than that, your anatomy/figure has major problems. There's no structural integrity to your figure (the entire torso looks wrong), and it looks like you didn't even try to shoot references to check your proportions. Everybody has a camera today, and even if you have to take photos of yourself with a mirror/tripod, it's still better than not using proper references and making glaring mistakes.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
MatthewMizak

portfolio
Matthew Mizak
Computer Graphic
Lodz, Poland

Thank you very much for the advices. I will try to take a closer look into anatomy next time. The origin was from the reference file but mayby I just overdo it. I am really grateful.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Let me add a few more things - and Lunatique is entirely correct about the sexualization issue, too. Don't be a cliche. There's too much bad art that's done just to draw a naked female. Rise above that. If you want to draw naked women, then draw naked women, as figure studies.

Now, as to mistakes, you have two glaring mistakes:

One, no background. The gallery here has high standards, and a white background will probably guarantee being rejected.

Two, it's not finished. You rendered the figure, but you have line drawings of hands in the bottom.

Also, along with your anatomy, you need work on skin tones. Black should never be used on lighted skin. You need to expand your palette, as well, there are more colors than brown, pink, and black.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
MatthewMizak

portfolio
Matthew Mizak
Computer Graphic
Lodz, Poland

I thought that those lines and white background will be seen as a stylization af an art- like unfinished art piece that comes to life. But if it is badly seen then I won't do thise kind of mistake again.
As for sexualization- mayby you're right. I'll try to reach higher and never do this kind of unnecesary expose of woman body.
About collors- in this one I also wanted to stay in one color scheme with browns etc. But mayby with some contrast collors it would come to life.

Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. I will try to avoid them in my next works.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azariel
I thought that those lines and white background will be seen as a stylization af an art- like unfinished art piece that comes to life. But if it is badly seen then I won't do thise kind of mistake again.
As for sexualization- mayby you're right. I'll try to reach higher and never do this kind of unnecesary expose of woman body.
About collors- in this one I also wanted to stay in one color scheme with browns etc. But mayby with some contrast collors it would come to life.

Thank you for pointing out my mistakes. I will try to avoid them in my next works.

A style like this, with a white background, is something that you can play with later, especially if you start dealing with commercial work. If you're learning, you need to learn how to do things like backgrounds, environments, and lighting. It's common for beginners to want to rush to what the trained guys are doing - just slow down, and focus on the more important things, like rendering a body correctly, learning lighting, perspective, all of the tools you'll need as an artist.

Also, forget about the gallery. Forget about each thing you work on being a finished piece worthy of the gallery. Paint something to learn. Even if you only learn something small, like how to draw a foot better, it's worth it. The gallery pieces will come later.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
MatthewMizak

portfolio
Matthew Mizak
Computer Graphic
Lodz, Poland

Thank you very much for effort. Mayby someone of you know some tutorials at my level that would help me create good backgrounds for the characters? Or those tutorials that would help me avoid mistakes that I've made.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread