CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Sharkyspoon
portfolio

Need someadvice/critique

Hey guys! I just heard of this forum and I am really thrilled about it. I saw and red you guys gave really good critique so I waw wondering if you could help me out with some of my work because there is really some need for more improvement and I hope you guys ca point stuff out

Cheers!

Some digital pieces

Some marker sketches

Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The first image isn't showing up.

Is the second image supposed to be a narrative illustration conveying a visual story, or just a random illustration without any thought out premise/situation?

The image is a bit busy with all the local contrasts in various areas. Try downplaying them so your actual focal point (the two figures and the ship next to them) would read more clearly in the overall composition. You can also make the two figures more interesting with values/colors.

Generally, I think lighting effects don't look natural in a painting--they work better for photos and videos IMO.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Sharkyspoon
portfolio

Here is the first one

The second image was just a random painting. I wanted to try out custom shapes so I started out with them

You are so right on the lack of a focal point. The figures should indeed have another color to attract more attention. lensflares/lightning effects they can look great in a still but I just need to develop more skills for integrating them. But thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated

Last edited by Sharkyspoon : 03-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

If you are putting lens flares in a "painting," then think about the logic behind it. It's a "painting," not a photograph taken by a camera with a lens, which is what causes "lens flares" in the first place. Why would you put an effect that's caused by the mechanical design of a camera system in a painting? It makes far more sense if you put it in a photograph or video instead of a painting. And if you are trying to emulate how photos and videos look with a painting, then think about why you'd want to do that and how does it actually benefit your painting. What extra merit does it actually add to the artwork? That is why I say they look odd in paintings--the logic just doesn't work.

The re-posted first image looks good. I like the juxtaposition of the little kid in red and the large structure in the background.

The main issue I see is with the composition. You have these trees lining the two sides of the image, and I know you were trying to use them as framing devices in the composition, but the way you did it doesn't work. They aren't integrated into the overall composition enough, and makes it look like you cropped what should have been a more square image too narrow vertically. I suggest experimenting with a different aspect ratio and shifting some stuff around so there's a better sense of integration of the trees.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread