Character Concept Tutorial

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Character Concept Tutorial

I put together a short tutorial for anyone interested. I enjoy studying peoples' artistic process almost more than their finished work, so I try to share my process as often as possible. Feedback or questions for clarification much appreciated!

Click the image for a PDF!

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 05 May 2013 at 04:09 AM.

03 March 2013
this is informative, concise and inspiring. A good tutorial about the general process and not software related techniques. I like that. Thank you.

03 March 2013
Drawing and sketching being a weaker skill of mine, this was and will continue to be of great use.
Thank you for sharing!

03 March 2013
nicely done, much appreciated ZombieMariachis.

03 March 2013
I like it.

03 March 2013
This helps me out a lot, thank you. Maybe you can help me out with my technique issues.

03 March 2013
Working on another. The young witch!

03 March 2013
looks great so far!. The line where the skirt finds the ground doen't look natural to me. Near the foot is where I notice it more because it seems to make that area a bit flat. Maybe the creases are too sharp comparing them with the light over the edge of the fold... damn it, how difficult is to explain this in words . The fold is smooth, but the section at the floor is sharp.... I guess the shadow in the floor will help or make it right.
I'm looking forward to see the next step.

thanks!

Jorge

03 March 2013
Thanks for the critique jorgepozo!

Pushed the rendering of the values and detail a little more and then dropped in some very simple colors to aid the next step. This is where the fun stuff starts! For me, It's like opening a Christmas present. If you look at the jump from step 5 to 7 of my tutorial you'll see what I mean. It's when life really gets fed into the grey lifeless concept, and you get to see the character become something real.

03 March 2013
It's smart to not fully detail the monochromatic phase before coloring, so I totally agree with Josh's process. Some artists would fully detail the monochromatic version before adding color, and that tends to create a more artificial look, because once you lay down the micro details and textures, you'll either have to make sure you color layer syncs up with those micro details, or else the image will appear a bit strange. Having to repaint the micro details and textures a second time during coloring just to match them up to the monochromatic details is a waste of time, so it's much smarter to work out the general values as Josh has shown, and then do the micro details and textures in full color.

03 March 2013
I thought I had already posted this. Guess I've been drinking too much...

Anyway, all done!

03 March 2013
haha! that happens...
this is great. I'm not so disciplined about separating every step. I will keep this is mind.
Thanks Josh.

03 March 2013
Thank you very much for this tutorial,very useful!

03 March 2013
You all completely dropped the ball in telling me how lame the presentation looked on these. Also, I was ignoring my own advice by having background values darker than the foreground subject.

I apologize for these mistakes, and await my beatings patiently, in disgrace.

Edit: Images moved to first post.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 03 March 2013 at 03:18 PM.

03 March 2013
I wish I could have seen that before
I like it more now. Thanks

Thread Closed share thread