Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
evilmakerr
portfolio
Tim Mai
Mechanical Engineer
Germany

Master Chief Digital Paint

Hi there,

Ive stopped doing cg for quite a while and had the feel to start since some weeks. So I entered unknown terrain with digital painting in photoshop. Ive made much 3D stuff as I was younger in 3ds Max but never really tried to paint in Photoshop.

So heres what I did: After some tries on other images, Ive tried to paint master chief from halo. My skill isnt high enough to reproduce him from my mind, so I used a reference for it, but I still hope its worth calling it art.

Maybe some people around here can give me some suggestions about my painting. Dont be to rude - its the third Ive made with my ten year old wacom ;-).

My intention is actually to have master chief looking right at you, while having a blueish background which shines on him. On top will be the known sentence: Deliver hope. One day it should remind me why being a voluntary firefighter for almost a decade.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

A much more efficient workflow is to first do small thumbnail sketches to work out the composition of the image, figuring out where to place your main area of interest, how to arrange the shapes in the image, where to overlap them, etc. It's also important to work on the general tonal composition so that at the most basic level, your main shapes and values have a good sense of visual design, even without any details at all. Deciding on your lighting and color palette is also important during the thumbnail stage. The more you can explore and figure out early on, the less likely you'll change your mind later and have to repaint all that detail, or even scrap the whole thing and start over.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread