Riot town WIP-looking for critiques

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Riot town WIP-looking for critiques

Small town, USA. A chemical company on the outskirts of town has a meltdown and leaks toxic gas over the hills and directly into the town causing behavior change in the townspeople. This scene depicts the turmoil in the streets of people rioting and causing mass chaos as the green toxic gas blankets the town. This is what I've painted so far, but before continue I wanted to get some reactions from you guys. So please, tear it up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riot-town-WIP.jpg (81.4 KB, 37 views)

02 February 2013
Thumbs up

Looking good to me so far. Love the angle and the perspective in the street. The only critique I have at this point is to doublecheck the side of the...clock tower? (Building up close with big yellow circle) It doesn't look like it's in perspective with the rest of the image. You have everything else pretty close, though, so I wonder if I'm just misinterpreting your sketch. Will enjoy watching this one progress.

02 February 2013
If the behavior of the infected people is a main focus of this visual narrative, then I would suggest you tilt the camera down a bit (or shift the image up a bit), so we can see more of the street and people. You want to show the people in the foreground with enough detail so we can see they aren't quite normal anymore (facial expression, body language). The background only needs to show enough of the hills/buildings to convey the rolling toxic fog coming in--you don't need to have them take up so much precious real estate in the image (no pun intended).

02 February 2013
Thanks for the replies!

DorothyTRose I see what you meant about the clock tower, it was a bit weird perspective wise, I think I fixed it now.

Lunatique Although the people going crazy isn't my main focus, I took your advice and extended the canvas down a bit to show more of the foreground. I think it could be a plus to show more of the rioters and people fleeing from the chaos. I actually want the clock tower to be the main focus because in my narrative the clock tower becomes the symbol of strength and resiliency. I want to show the area around the tower on fire and things blowing up, but the tower will be relatively unscathed.

Here are some of the changes. Let me know if the composition works with this narrative i'm going for. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg city-sketch3.jpg (92.5 KB, 29 views)

03 March 2013
What significance does the area on the right have in your image's narrative? If it's just more buildings but don't really contribute anything of significance to the narrative, then put something else there that does contribute.

You could also try tilting the horizon in the other direction (and shift the image to the right a bit) and see if it works better for the composition. The amount of the tilt can be a bit less severe too. Usually, you want to match the amount of tilt to the level of action that's happening. For example, if it's a high-octane action scene of crazy battles and explosions, then a severe tilt would be fitting. But something less dramatic would use a less severe tilt.

03 March 2013
If the clock tower is most important and it will be relatively unscathed in the midst of chaos and destruction, I would like the see the whole thing. It would be too easy to imagine a little fire or something at the base of the building since everything else is blowing up around it.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread