"The Teacher" (warning for topless female)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
"The Teacher" (warning for topless female)

This is an illustration for text. In the text, this painting hangs on the wall in a bedroom. The woman is a vampire and casts no shadow, though she will have cast and form shadows on herself. Since it's a depiction of a painting, I'm working it all on one layer as if it were an oil painting. I'm using nothing but Photoshop's brush tool and trying to keep painterly brush strokes. As of right now, I'm working mostly on the background, having a lot of fun with pillow details, and concentrating on colour balance and lighting. I'm going for a mostly overhead lighting, but may fudge a little on the face if the shadows get too unflattering. There will be something in her upraised hand later on.

Larger images to come once all the pillows are defined.
Now, to bed!

02 February 2013
Larger image with finished pillows.

Any thoughts on lighting, composition, and colour would be welcome. I'm considering adding a blanket or patterned fabric beneath all the pillows that would partially cover the seat, but I'm not sure.

Going to start working on the figure now.

02 February 2013
You can better see what I was describing with the shadows now, especially the cast shadow from her torso, which does not show on the pillows.

The lowered leg might be done. Debating whether the thigh needs more definition or not. Arguing with the raised leg right now, specifically the knee, so for the moment, I'm going to move to the hands. Any anatomical tips would be appreciated.

02 February 2013
This has really turned into a fascinating study in anatomy and lighting. Completed arm on the right, worked some on the upper right thigh, defined shape of hip, began detailing hair.

02 February 2013
Hey

To me there is not enough volume on her left side of her chest. It's the first thing I noticed seeing this painting of yours. Can you check that again, in case you can, with photo reference?

02 February 2013
Thank you. ^_^ I was wondering about that. It's a common problem I have, left over from decades ago when I was first starting to draw people, so it doesn't surprise me that it's happened again. Heh. I have a friend coming over tomorrow who has a similar body type, so I think I can do one better than photo reference.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DorothyTRose: Thank you. ^_^ I was wondering about that. It's a common problem I have, left over from decades ago when I was first starting to draw people, so it doesn't surprise me that it's happened again. Heh. I have a friend coming over tomorrow who has a similar body type, so I think I can do one better than photo reference.

That's good, because her chest is all wrong - the breast is a teardrop shape, not a globe, unless a bra is making it into that shape. This looks like a figure wearing a bra, but it's not rendered.

Also, you've made a very common mistake people make drawing the breast from memory, and even from reference - both breasts do not sit on the ribcage and point forward, they side off to the sides, at an angle to each other - if you are looking at one breast head on, you will always see the other at a profile, unless the pose, costume or props are effecting it. Another way to look at it is if you draw a line from the spine to the nipple on both breasts, you will get the angle that they are in to each other. (This can change due to weight, age, and gravity. The breast should slope from the chest muscles/plane into the fullness of the breast itself, and the lower edge will be round, from gravity pulling the mass down, thus the teardrop shape. It's a very hard shape to draw accurately sometimes, it's very complex curves and volumes. Your character is raising her arms, which will lift the breasts as the chest muscles move with the arm movement, but you stlll won't see a round mass on top.

I learned this (and a ton of other tips like this) in an Anatomy for Artists class I took in college. It's a peeve of mine how many artists starting out now think that breasts are the round basketballs that manga and actresses all have now.

I would also refine her ribcage more.

Hope this helps!

02 February 2013
Thank you very much! It amuses me that a guy is giving me, a woman, tips on how to paint breasts. All the same, those are some really good notes that I will definitely keep in mind when I get to that area, especially the one about the line from the spine to the nipple. That's one I've not heard before and sounds really useful.

Quote: I learned this (and a ton of other tips like this) in an Anatomy for Artists class I took in college. It's a peeve of mine how many artists starting out now think that breasts are the round basketballs that manga and actresses all have now.

Oh my gosh! My one anatomy class sucked so bad, I seriously considered demanding a refund. But it was my senior year and more than a refund, I wanted to graduate, so...I've been teaching myself anatomy ever since. I've learned far more that way than I ever did in that class! There is a pretty high chance, though, that this character would have artificially enhanced breasts. I'll start with making them natural and tweek as needed.

Quote: I would also refine her ribcage more.

Definitely! I won't have a chance to work on it today, but tomorrow I'll start on the torso so you guys won't have to flinch any more. Tee hee.

02 February 2013
Hey

Learning anatomy is by LOOKING at your reference very closely. Proportions and positions of the forms are the most important thing by drawing from life. Remembering all those things when you draw from memory are even harder I experienced after countless anatomy drawings. I also makes those mistakes but teaching is learning twice(Bobby Chiu)

02 February 2013
Didn't get as much done as I wanted tonight, partly because I was distracted by music videos and partly because I really need a massage on the shoulder of my drawing arm...which was why I was watching videos instead of drawing. ^_^;

Did get a lot done on the torso and breasts, though. Haven't touched the shoulder much at all. Worked in some rebounding lights and now I think I might need to refine the shadows on the shin of the raised leg. Wondering if the creases under the breasts should be darker, but...I kind of like them light. Also thinking the triceps of her right arm might need a little more thickness. Her palm seems wider than her upper arm and that bothers me. Or maybe the hand needs to be narrower.

02 February 2013
More work, mostly on the raised knee, cleavage, shoulders, and general colour correction. Not happy with the neck yet, but I think everything else (except the things I've obviously not touched yet) is done now.

All comments appreciated.

02 February 2013
Final post. Still open to critiques if you see anything that needs fixing.

02 February 2013
Hi,
I think that the hands are beautifully done, but pretty big, especially the right one.
You painted the color reflections of the hair and background on her skin, but you didn't paint any reflection on her hair. Adding darker shades in a different color than yellow to the hair may be better for the sense of volume in the head. Also, I liked more the breast when the middle part was more difused, now is a little bit square shaped, but that's only my opinion.
Hope this helps!

02 February 2013
Hey DorothyTRose

Now the anatomy of the head seems out of place. For example the vertical position of the eyes, and the rest, should be higher. Normal the vertical position of the eyes is in the middle of height of the head or do you want to go away from those basic proportions? In that case you should move the mouth more down because the eyes and underside of the nose are lower also what's good already. I hope this helps.

02 February 2013
Hi,

I like your use of colour, but there are 3 points that still bother me :
- Something feels off with the neck, as if it didn't fit with the current placement of her body. Might be a weird angle of the spine, or its very straight pose that works against the overal curve, I'm not sure. If you can, try to have a friend hold that pose and check it.
- Her right shoulder is held very high, as if her elbow was resting on a solid surface that pushed it upwards - something one wouldn't expect from a soft cushion. The easiest fix, I think, would be to lower the entire arm+shoulder.
- Her belly feels hollow, to the point of looking unhealthy. In her current pose, I'd rather expect the weight of organs pushing against the abdominal belt to give it a beautiful curve.

Thread Closed share thread