Old 02-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Send a message via MSN to Patsa53
WIP new character

Hey

This is my first WIP post in this forum and should like your opinion about this pose that I creatie for a character I designed myself. It should express intelligence, inner/hidden power and should be dynamic or suggestie movement. I don't know if the proportions are right enough even.
[
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1rlfdzys...6%2041%2030.jpg

What do you think. I need feedback. Thanks for reading this.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

His left arm/shoulder looks wrong. The connecting point between the shoulder and arm isn't just one simple socket--there is actually another moving piece--the scapula. So when a fist is cocked back like that, the scapula has to be pulled back too. That arm also seems smaller/thinner than the other one.

What is the narrative and premise for this image? Who is this character, and what is he actually doing in that moment? What is he thinking and feeling? How does his action in that moment relate to the narrative?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

explanation of pose and character

Hey Lunatique

To answer you questions:
The narrative is mine character, a super-hero, is in a fight(pose/modus) with for example his enemies or bad guys. The premise of the story is a that he, the character, gives a punch( to his enemies).

Mine character , like I said a super-hero, has magical powers from a very strong mythological creature(a wolf with wings) and wears a suit to enhance that creature.
See this link for appearance:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymcrzjocj...7%2052%2017.jpg
He thinks that them, his enemies or bad guys, should not harm anyone else anymore and that he stops it now for good. He feels anger/rage against the bad guuys and love for what's right and should be.

The purpose of this pose was to introduce mine character his personality and purpose. the reason for this was that others, in a other forum, found this character concept/design too original to understand him by the design of his suit only. I am not sure if I should show his enemies in this picture. Maybe I should also show in the background his world of living.

I hope this was the answer you wanted.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Hey

Here I changed his leftarm. I am not sure if it is right yet. I sleep a night over it. ^^
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21gyt8fup...2%2005%2041.jpg

Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The pose still doesn't look right. You need to get up and pose in front of the mirror and study how the human body really works. When your arm is pulled back in extreme like that, your scapula will also be pulled back. The shoulders aren't stationary, looking like an immobile block that makes up the upper torso. The entire torso has parts--moving parts. Go stand in front of the mirror and roll your shoulders around a bit. Pull your arms as far back as you can, and also push them as far forward as you can. See how the shoulders are actually moving independently from the torso--that they are moving parts? Study these movements while looking at yourself in side-view (profile view) too. See how the scapula is a moving part independent from the torso and upper arm? That is what you need to get right.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
FarisB

portfolio
Faris Bermamet
Jordan

Are you eye gauging perspective or how the object will appear in space? Because the hip seems to be at the horizon line meaning we should not see a lot of its top. Also it look like you are having problems imagining how the rib cage looks in space.

I think that the advice to start in gesture drawing is very bad and frustrating if the person has not studied perspective before it. Because you will not know how to draw the eight heads in correct proportion in the correct depth and correct angle relative the viewer. and the horizon.

So my advice is if that any of the following terms sound unfamiliar to you you need to study perspective:

- Picture plane, distance from picture plane, eye height, angular perspective, finding the two vanishing points for any angle of an object compared to the picture plane line, measuring point for the vanishing point, vertical vanishing point at the measuring point (to draw inclined planes)

Resources:

- Gwen white: perspective a guide for artists, architects and designers. (Best book on the subject, if you can get your hands on it, you're set)

- http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2016...5-h/20165-h.htm
The book at this link is old and a heavy on language, but if you push through it you will learn a lot.

- Norling: perspective made easy. ( I found Gwen White book to be better but this more well known and still a damn good book).

If you go through that, I promise you, you will tell us what is wrong with the drawing easily.

If you have any specific questions when you start with perspective let me know and I will be happy to explain.

Last edited by FarisB : 02-20-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Hey

@ Lunatique

Here I changed the pose again:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aexldubo8....JPG?n=89148612

I am studying what you told me to and am practicing poses with proportions of a hero(8-9 heads high). So if you find the proportions in this last change then I am not surprised. ^^^(good meant )

@FarisB: Although your advice is long I will try to listen, understand and learn from it.

Last edited by Patsa53 : 02-19-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
FarisB

portfolio
Faris Bermamet
Jordan

lol, yes I guess that's true. Sorry it's a bad habit. I edited the post completely after thinking about what would be the best advice to give... it's still long though :-)

But I'm actually summarizing. The work still falls on you. Learning these thing takes effort, but after that effort you know it, it feels great that you know the answers and that you fixed a gap in your understanding. There are a lot of gaps.

There is a lot of science in art, everyday I'm humbled by the depth and knowledge needed in art, basically to draw something you have to understand it inside out. It is not an act relaxation, it an act of extreme focus.

I believe there are huge gaps in generic art education vs what is needed. I'm studying light now. Most tutorials show you that sphere diagram, or explain those directional arrows to predict the shadow shape and think that's all you need. I'm learning that's not even 1% of what needs to be understood about light.

So I'm afraid we all have a lot of reading, learning and drawing to do. :-)

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #9
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarisB
lol, yes I guess that's true. Sorry it's a bad habit. I edited the post completely after thinking about what would be the best advice to give... it's still long though :-)

But I'm actually summarizing. The work still falls on you. Learning these thing takes effort, but after that effort you know it, it feels great that you know the answers and that you fixed a gap in your understanding. There are a lot of gaps.

There is a lot of science in art, everyday I'm humbled by the depth and knowledge needed in art, basically to draw something you have to understand it inside out. It is not an act relaxation, it an act of extreme focus.

I believe there are huge gaps in generic art education vs what is needed. I'm studying light now. Most tutorials show you that sphere diagram, or explain those directional arrows to predict the shadow shape and think that's all you need. I'm learning that's not even 1% of what needs to be understood about light.

So I'm afraid we all have a lot of reading, learning and drawing to do. :-)

Amen to that. You are absolutely right about that.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Hey

Here An update of the pose:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3hc5e0no...chtwolfpose.png

Before you comment on this post remember that I am still prcessing all the advice I get but can't use them all at,the same time. I have to change the pose step by step. Here I make the arms and legs longer because they were not long enough in normal perspective. Going to try to make a picture of myself or someone else to learn from it. I am on my way to make the pose correct.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
FarisB

portfolio
Faris Bermamet
Jordan

I agree, we would spend forever telling you to move right then move it left. Build on it or do another pose I guess.

Nice talking to you and have fun.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Have you actually gotten in front of the mirror, stripped off your shirt, and posed in the exact pose you'd like to depict, and study what an actual person in that pose looks like? Also, when you do that, you can direct yourself to exaggerate as much as you need so the pose reads clearly and effectively, as well as have the dramatic effect you're after. There is no better way to do this. Pose or have someone else pose for you--this is how serious artists do it.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Speaking of mirrors, having one at your drawing table is a great idea (for the above reason). Also traditional artists use them a lot, like John Berkey http://www.johnberkey.com/. He had them over his table and used them to check his art by see the painting backwards/upside down. You can do this in photoshop by just flipping your image. Sometimes you see the drawing flaws a little more clearly that way.

His set up.
http://pinkoski.com/john-berkey-artwork.html

Last edited by rownd : 02-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Patsa53

portfolio
Emmanuel FRANCK
BE

Hey

Here I changed the pose again. This time of I used an image of myself making the same pose as reference.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npeok5hxd...chtwolfpose.png

Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
FarisB

portfolio
Faris Bermamet
Jordan

Dude, you went all the way, 10/10. I don't think anyone can tell you now its off or spot on.

You are going to draw the face looking at the hand right?

So as I was saying, you should move on to the next stage now.

Let us know if you need anything.

Thread Closed share thread